Some people are making it harder...

You see it now; zillions of oldies wandering around, on the pension and totally broke.

Why? because they were from the depression yes, but I'll bet they lived a life of not a lot of planning and blamed the depression and a host of other factors beyond their control.

The reason is simple. Education. Not the three R's but financial education.

There was an expectation that you worked your whole life and the government would look after you in your retirement paying a reasonable pension. We all know that that was not the case.

Today everyone should be aware of the fact that no-one is looking out for them and they have to make their own way in the world and look after their own future.

However there are still a great number of people who now have the same silly thoughts about super as our parents had about their pension. They are blissfully unaware that they will have to work until they drop (if they are healthy and can get employment) or be broke. I watch the ads and hear, "makes a lifetime of difference" you gotta be joking.

When I am 60 there will be just as many people whinging about the lack of super as there are now complaining about the pension. The difference is they ought to know better.

Regards

Andrew

I agree with Andrew too, the older generation had reasons and an excuse, w don;t but just as many people act like those previous generations now.

I still dont see why Bayview is being cocky with "get the tissue for the high income earner" comments.. I simplay can;t see anythign except a bit of resentment that the operson is earning more than he, I've tried by reading your posts agian bayvie,but I cant see it.
The guy ws simplyepxlaining a situation & feelings.. everyone has done it, and he did it appropriately in a topci discussing the same. Your"get the issues" like his statements were silly is wrong I feel.

These are the type of commetns I cant get past and make it difficult for me too, albeit that I'm on less than 100k, you still get crap like "youve got 2 ip's woe is me".

I dont get it, go out and earn $200k if you think it's the be all and end all and that would automatically make you happy, I guess the guy was telling you something you dont know.

There was an expectation that you worked your whole life and the government would look after you in your retirement paying a reasonable pension. We all know that that was not the case.

the pension was a great idea - when you worked to 65 and dropped dead before 70 - as they did when the pension was introduced. now with working til 60 and then living for another 20+ years, it just doesn't compute.

it is interesting looking at the new generation of nearing reitrees. really they are the first generation who, on a vast scale, are having to face their parents living beyond the ability of their bodies (and minds) due to medical and care intervention, and they really don't know how to cope with it - and neither does the government/health services.

i'm not supporting euthnasia - but i'm also not for feeding the very elderly dozens of pills and needles a day to keep them alive in a twilight existence.

Back