Some people are making it harder...

you really dont understand any element to that thinking skater ? you cant see a pattern at all and why it might occur ?

it's stupid, but I can see why it exists.

Sunday I went to bunnings. 50 -6 yr old bloke was loading something into the bac of this late model Porsche Targa. Bloke next to him says "if this is your run around car I'd hate
to see what your normal car looks like". I thought to myself, I'd LOVE to see it !

you really dont understand any element to that thinking skater ? you cant see a pattern at all and why it might occur ?

it's stupid, but I can see why it exists.

Not sure which part you are referring to. Did you mean the people that start out excited that you've bought something, or the kids that think nobody owns a vacant home?

I do understand why friends/relatives get this way, to a degree. When you purchase one property, they feel, "good on you. We might be able to do that some day". The second one comes along, and maybe they might be feeling "Oh, wow, another one. They are doing well, aren't they." Third property the feeling could be something like "Gee, we could never do that". Then by the time you get to the fourth, maybe they feel that you are trying to prove that you are better than them. Or maybe they think you have done something illegal because they don't understand how someone on an average wage can possibly purchase so much more than them.

Of course, you don't even think this at the time. You are excited and just want to share. Maybe you want to talk about it to show them that they could do the same, but they don't understand, and they won't if they close up shop altogether.

In our case the person that gave us the worst verbal diatribe was a sister-in-law. They are not doing too badly and had quite a bit put aside in shares. Of all the relatives, we thought that she would have been truely excited, because they were working their own retirement plan, just different to ours.

In saying all of this though, all of our family know we have property (and it is a very large family). They don't know how much, or what the value is. They don't know or understand anything to do with rentals and for the most part, they don't want to.

Every now and then someone will ask questions and I always answer honestly. Some of the younger ones have purchased something and told us about it, and sometimes when a friend of a relative has purchased an IP they will tell us about it, or ask questions. I think some of them are interested, but don't want to risk purchasing themselves, but that is fine. I realise IP's are not for everyone.

In our case the person that gave us the worst verbal diatribe was a sister-in-law. They are not doing too badly and had quite a bit put aside in shares. Of all the relatives, we thought that she would have been truely excited, because they were working their own retirement plan, just different to ours.

This just sounds like plain and simple jealousy. It's weird how some people think. To me what you are doing benefits the whole community - if you make money as well then you deserve it.

What your sister is law is doing is moving money around in the share market. Big deal. Share trading is entirely self serving. I'm doing that myself, but I'd much rather be doing what you are doing and am envious of your courage.

Good onya.

What your sister is law is doing is moving money around in the share market. Big deal. Share trading is entirely self serving. I'm doing that myself, but I'd much rather be doing what you are doing and am envious of your courage.

Good onya.

LOL! Thankyou! I think you are more couragious than me. I don't understand the stockmarket.

Many believe in a "fair day's work for a fair day's pay" and are happy to stay within that comfort zone.

When we bought our first IP in May 09, my aunt (who also invest in property and everyone in the extended family knows that) asked if we were alright with sharing the news around the immediate family, including my older brother.

Older bro runs a successful small business employing around 10-15 people and is still renting. We did not want to create some sibling rivalry, so agreed to only allow scant infomation on our IP. Furthermore, our focus is on property investing, while my older bro is focused on funning a successful business.

Regards
Daniel Lee

absolutley. a fair day's WORK for a fair day's pay - in fact, i believe anything on this graph.

Attachments

• fair days pay.JPG
    fair days pay.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 154
As I have mentioned on the forum previously, hubby and I had 6 properties when were were married, in the split I got 3, he got 3. I still have mine and he bought motorbikes with his share.:) He's in Europe now spending some more of his share.

We didn't mention how many properties we owned because we thought that we would be subject to that same sort of vitriol that other posters ahve mentioned in this thread.

I dont usually ever discuss that I have 3 houses except in this forum and amongst very old friends who already know (and who knew me when I had 6)

I do know what everyone means

Sucks though doesn't it ?

I mean, I'd love to talk about them & discuss and ask questions etc. Instead, I feel on my own a bit so to speak about it.. Especially relatives etc.. Especially when you're still new at it. But people also want to respect others' privacy as I remember hearing very clearly growing up.

It gets to me sometimes when I speak to friends and say I saw this expensive shiny car and they say something like "it's just a car" negatively cause it's expensive.. I can't bloody get one either, but I dont get upset/annoyed about it existing ?)

Skate, I meant the bit where you said you couldn't understand why kids think an abandoned house is ownerless, a house being renovated means the owner is rich, and a house the owner moves into is "one of us". I can see quite clearly and logically how those thoughts come to fruition. You're saying you truly cannot ?

Skate, I meant the bit where you said you couldn't understand why kids think an abandoned house is ownerless, a house being renovated means the owner is rich, and a house the owner moves into is "one of us". I can see quite clearly and logically how those thoughts come to fruition. You're saying you truly cannot ?

In my experience it is not only the kids, but also the parents that have that attitude, but it seems confined to those that are living on benefits. They seem to think that it is alright to trash vacant Housing Dept homes because "nobody owns them". Meaning, not a person, but a large government department, as if that makes it alright.:confused:

I can easily understand the same demographic thinking you are "rich" if you have investments, and thinking you are "one of them" if you have bought a home to live in.

People who want to regale you at social functions with stories of their investment strategies are as much fun as people who want to give you chapter and verse about their health issues.

People who want to regale you at social functions with stories of their investment strategies are as much fun as people who want to give you chapter and verse about their health issues.

You'd pass up the opportunity to learn something by hearing their stratergies? It beats talking about politics or religion.....

Gools

I have officially vowed to never mention what we do/have done anymore (not that it's much, but it's more than your a-typical 90% of the world) unless asked.

Not worth it.

We've just exchanged on IP4 and have kept it to ourselves. IP3 already caused issues on one side of the family, apparently we have our heads up our ar$e.

We've just exchanged on IP4 and have kept it to ourselves. IP3 already caused issues on one side of the family, apparently we have our heads up our ar$e.
Try being less than 50 financially independent self-funded retiree, and see what you get called and/or accused of then??? Trust me, it ain't pretty!!! :eek:

You'd pass up the opportunity to learn something by hearing their stratergies? It beats talking about politics or religion.....

Gools

Actually not only does it not beat talking about politics and religion, it fails to compete with just about anything else.

People who, in social situations and without prompting, talk incessantly about money, how much they have and how they got it are, without exeception, self-absorbed and dull.

Gools

Whose' strategies exacty ? We'r etalking about ourselves, our strategies, our accomplishments, as great or limited as they may be.,

You're saying my relative/friends should feel privelleged at the oppportunity to hear from somone like me ?

I give my friends/relatives a bit more respect than that.

Try being less than 50 financially independent self-funded retiree, and see what you get called and/or accused of then??? Trust me, it ain't pretty!!! :eek:

I do not expect it is worth advertising the fact.... I think I can empathise with your situation.

I had a conversation with some extended family over Xmas, whom have done reasonably well for themselves, but are 20+ yrs my senior. They were talking about retiring within the next 5-10 yr window and I mistakingly said I was looking forward to it as well. Well, that drew some stares of utter contempt and they thought I was joking. I wasn't, and when they realised I was serious, let's just say that the topic changed fairly quickly. In future, I will go and get a round of drinks when such conversation starts, to ensure I don't get involved.

I'm sure I've asked it before but what the hey - why would anyone mention to anyone else including family anything about your property or share investments unless it is to skite or brag about how much better you are than them? And people keep wondering why they get negative comments about every new property purchase - no one likes a person who keeps going on and on and on about how much richer or better off they are than everybody else.

Just keep it to yourselves and you won't have to deal with other people's negativity.

You're saying my relative/friends should feel privelleged at the oppportunity to hear from somone like me ?

I give my friends/relatives a bit more respect than that.

Not at all. I'm suggesting that you may learn something you didn't know by talking to other people about your stratergies/opinions/experiences in the hope that they will have their own ideas that you yourself can learn from.

How do you learn that your cousins mate runs a bobcat business that will come in handy or your mate has some information about something that's going to happen in a certain town if you don't talk about it. I'm not saying rave on about property, I'm not even saying bring the topic up, just that there is some advantage to be gained by joining a discusion about it. Sure you might cop some angstbut how else do you find out people that do want to talk about it and people you yourself can learn a lot from?

This really is a polarising subject. There are those that see benefit in discussing it (not telling everyone how good you are!) and those that wouldn't discuss it at all.

I can see the benefits so although I wouldn't start the conversation I'm more than happy to join in for my own benefit and generally not for the others benefit as I do have enough respect for all my family or friends. Otherwise I wouldn't be talking with them :D

I get two contrasting family situations on money.

One is upper middle class, could have retired by 50, work because they both like working. Net worth of a $3M+ without every taking any serious risks.

The other is working class. Late 50s, no super, lucky to have $100K in assets beyond their house. They can't quite believe that lots of people have 6 figure incomes and that people pay over 300K for 2bdr units in outer suburbs that need work done. Very open about money, but requires some sensitive handling when it comes to exact figures.

Back