Some Tips for New Investors

Hi All,

I have noticed that in the last few weeks allot of new members have joined the somersoft family - so welcome aboard!!

The first question new member's usually ask is this: Where should I buy if i had 300K "eg" as a budget in XYZ state.

Here are some tips: If any one can contribute that would be great too :)
1) Before deciding a budget and location, determine what is your goal with this property eg: Are you looking at getting a development site, a property to renovate and sell, A property to simply hold over a certain period or a property that provides a high rental yield to develop cash flow.

2) What are your risk levels? Are you the conservative type or are you comfortable with risk?

3) What is your investment experience and how much effort are you going to put in?

These are my three tips looking forward to others to respond :)

Okay..I'll will be nice...

Here are my 2 tips:

1. Don't put money into Sydney..now...if you do...pick-up from fellow SS newbies who bought in the top of the market and have had it reposessed..around 2017-2018 when interest rates hit about 7-8%!

2. If you are newby...try buying 2 brms units within 3-8 klms of Brissie for less than 350k...if it is unit with the works - i.e. laundry, lock-up garage, balcony...it will definitely out perform.

Best of luck...

OK, here's my tip (deep breath):

Consider the Mt Druitt area.

We are arguably the cheapest in Sydney.

Bigger blocks than average. Yields are OK.

Big shopping centre.

2 x swimming pools.

Many local shopping centres.

Big Police station, which is located some 6 km from some the outer suburbs!

Extra long ring road (Luxford Ave) which is concreted in parts for extra tyre wear.

Many schools, TAFE

Hospital (no intensive care, so don't get too sick)

A pistol range (handy, also see above point )

Plenty of houso (though number is reducing)

Get 'em while they're cheap!

I believe the biggest thing is an expansion on your first point but why are you even investing in property??
Eveytime someone I know purchses an IP I ask them why they are investing in property and honestly 90% stare at me blankly! After a while they respond with something like "because property doubles every 7 years" or "I needed to grow up".

It honestly blows my mind that people literally spend 400k and don't even know why they are doing it or understand a strategy or goal. Sure some do well but it's pure luck whilst others (I have a few friends in this scenario now) buy without understanding anything about property, have a negative cashflow and see no gains and make comments like "Investment properties are junk".

Big shopping centre.

2 x swimming pools.

Extra long ring road (Luxford Ave) which is concreted in parts for extra tyre wear.

Many schools, TAFE

Great list Datto.. on Housos... whenever someone describes a low social eco suburb gentrifying, reduction in housos always comes up.

my question is, for each houso that is sold, is another establish elsewhere? Like far out into the western of west?

Or do they just magically disappear? What happens to those houso tenants... do the govt just send them onto the streets to fend for themselves?

Great list Datto.. on Housos... whenever someone describes a low social eco suburb gentrifying, reduction in housos always comes up.

my question is, for each houso that is sold, is another establish elsewhere? Like far out into the western of west?

Or do they just magically disappear? What happens to those houso tenants... do the govt just send them onto the streets to fend for themselves?

Good question. In SA, for every 10 housing trust properties sold off, they are replaced by one new property. They are taken out of the cycle by attrition.

NRAS helps to fill the gap to a degree, but in the end of a lot of public housing tenants will need to enter the private market.

Is this what you mean? :D

Attachments

• 134066889615_Housos1.jpg
    134066889615_Housos1.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 114

Big shopping centre.

2 x swimming pools.

Many schools, TAFE

Sounds like Frankston in vic if you replace the big shopping centre with some caf?s And a bunnings

:D

Big shopping centre.

2 x swimming pools.

Many schools, TAFE

Also sounds like Logan

So datto , are you wanting to offload yours now :D

Cliff

In Qld as the old stock is sold off in suburbs with a high concentration of HC new houses replace the old In different suburbs and they move in next to you if your unlucky and sometimes in NRAS houses it seems

Okay..I'll will be nice...

Here are my 2 tips:

1. Don't put money into Sydney..now...if you do...pick-up from fellow SS newbies who bought in the top of the market and have had it reposessed..around 2017-2018 when interest rates hit about 7-8%!

2. If you are newby...try buying 2 brms units within 3-8 klms of Brissie for less than 350k...if it is unit with the works - i.e. laundry, lock-up garage, balcony...it will definitely out perform.

Best of luck...

I am seeing a lot of investor interest in this Unit stock in Brisbane Sash.

Of particular note (in that price and distance range) are two bedders in Ascot (make sure not in public housing areas to the east and nice and close to the tenancy demand near Kingsford Smith Drive).

Also around the rail line in Nundah - nice CG fundamentals in the market here currently and lots of unit stock around the Rail. There are some areas of very high public housing to the north in this suburb however.

Dunno, to be honest James. I could only guess. Maybe jail, any of the number of cemeteries around Sydney, urn jar, condiments jar, scattered ashes ? I don't want to sound too insensitive. Thanks for the questions James and good luck!

Sounds like Frankston in vic if you replace the big shopping centre with some caf?s And a bunnings
:D

Yeah forget, we got a Bunnings and a Masters but no beach. Cheers

Also sounds like Logan
So datto , are you wanting to offload yours now :D
Cliff

I think I'm sitting on a five bagger here Cliff. I'm gonna wait till the prices hit 500k that's a 6.2 bagger. I might even just milk it, any half decent brokers out there? lol.

Having a big police station is a turn off! Hahaha only busy police station gets to have a big place.. Must be busy down that end ;)

Remember this is Mt Druitt....big cop shop needed. Also great for the fast food outlets around there.

Back