Someone convince me that Financial Advisers are useful

There are plenty good FPs out there, it can take some searching but they do exist. For a start look up/request their FSG (fees and services guide) and work out how they get paid- as mentiomed earlier AUM/FUM etc is comission by another name- bar it. Most solid planners will give you a free short introduction discussion to work out whether you have anything they can help with- if the initial chat starts staight in with product flog run like hell. A decent FP will usually encourage you to save a buffer or identify some goals and come back when you ready if you not sure. 9/10 times a good fee for advisory FP can save/earn back his fees amd then some without fingers in your back pocket forever regardless of how the product ahem... plan- turns out.
you can check out sites like IFA to learn a bit more about how the industry ticks, and IFAAA has links to proper 923a asic standard independent FPs if you wish to avoid vertically integrated sales arms of big finance biz. That being said there are still many good ethical planners still operating under a big dealer group licensee, who will fully rebate any comms, disclose all costs up front etc you just have to hunt them out. To be honest many on this site would be beyond needing most bread and butter FP services, but SS is exception not the rule, average level of financial ability out there is frighteningly low. *disclaiimer- work in FP industry, currently under dealer group, working to create own independent AFSL this year*

I agree Frito. If they can save you the cost of advice and then some why wouldnt you.

I saw an FP years ago for personal risk insurance. He wanted to sign me up at a certain figure that would have seem my super actually depleted. I new what my employers contribution was and halved his suggested figure.

* disclaimer, I work out of an FPs office who claims he can save most people much more than the fees charged and believe he does.

For a start look up/request their FSG (fees and services guide) *disclaiimer- work in FP industry, currently under dealer group, working to create own independent AFSL this year*

I'd suggest if attempting to establish an AFSL, you should know what an FSG is called.

I'd suggest if attempting to establish an AFSL, you should know what an FSG is called.

Semantics, dude. Okay yes, it's called a "Financial Services Guide' but Frito is correct in that it outlines the fees charged and services provided by the adviser.

I agree Frito. If they can save you the cost of advice and then some why wouldnt you.

I saw an FP years ago for personal risk insurance. He wanted to sign me up at a certain figure that would have seem my super actually depleted. I new what my employers contribution was and halved his suggested figure.

* disclaimer, I work out of an FPs office who claims he can save most people much more than the fees charged and believe he does.

See that happen alot unfortunately- Where I work we rebate back any comms we can't turn off, but good you picked up on it in your case, many people don't and wonder why their super is going nowhere!

Frito, are you a paraplanner, too?

While I study my *** off I am the paraplanners lackey, COIN slave, SMSF admin teams gopher and chief cook and bottle washer. Actually its not that bad and Im really lucky to be doing a mature age career change with a unique trainee ship type arrangement through a relatives FP practice.

Back