Someone is feeding my dog while I'm away. what to do?

I live in a small townhouse that has the backyard facing to my neighbors. My labrador is on a strict diet and we recently changed his food. A few months ago I noticed a COOKED bone on top of his crate and I started suspecting my neighbor was throwing food at my dog whilst we were not at home.

My mother in law saw the old guy throwing food to Sam (my dog) and this is when we confirmed it was him. I waited for the weekend and there was noise coming from his house. The old guy was with a lady and I stood up on a chair in order to reach him from my place and politely asked him that I had seen him feeding my dog and wanted to ask him to not do it anymore, as Sam was on a diet and he could only eat the food that we give him. He sort of acknowledged what I said and that was all.

This was I think a few months ago. Fast forward today, we have changed Sam's food and he's losing weight. Yesterday, Sam did number 2 more than usual (about 6 times in a single day!!). This morning Sam was anxious to go out. I took him out and he vomited. Mainly liquid with exception of a piece of cooked bone. this can kill him!!!

The place remains empty the whole day, so hard for me to keep track of who's actually feeding my dog. It could be the old guy again, or it could be someone else. I was thinking on installing a small camera and record what goes on during the day. The other problem is that if I find out who's doing it, I gotta be careful as if they're feeding him so easily, they can easily poison him!!

what would you do?

33ax6cx.jpg

:( no cook bone for dogs!

A couple of things I can think of, none of them are ideal though:
  1. Dog inside house with access to some areas when you're gone
  2. Long leash tied so he can't reach food thrown from around the fence
  3. Talk to your neighbour about your concern (he feed the dog, I assume he like him :)) and ask for help if he notice someone is feeding the dog cooked bones (explain why its dangerous - non dog owners don't usually know this)
  4. Replace the entire fence with something really tall :eek:

Get a letter from the vet saying why it is on a diet and the consquences if broken. Deliver a copy of this letter to all your neighbours thanking them for their kindness and consideration but please don't do it.

They may be feeding it to stop it barking, ask them does he bark much when left alone, some dogs are terrible when left alone all day and bark incessantly. They only stop when they hear the owners car as they are not alone any more.

Consider the wisdom of having a lone dog, perhaps another dog or cat to keep it company would help if it is a barker.

Install a camera,that is the only way of knowing.Maybe the person or persons feel sorry for your dog being alone all day?My mum and dad feed a dog either side of the fence because the owners don't take for walks and cooped up in a small backyard.Mum and dad throw over chicken necks and raw bones.We have 3 dogs and 2 cats as well and mum likes feeding the doves and magpies.

Install a camera,that is the only way of knowing.Maybe the person or persons feel sorry for your dog being alone all day?My mum and dad feed a dog either side of the fence because the owners don't take for walks and cooped up in a small backyard.Mum and dad throw over chicken necks and raw bones.We have 3 dogs and 2 cats as well and mum likes feeding the doves and magpies.

I think the camera is the best bet. any recommendations?

Have a chat with him in passing. Tell him casually you're installing a camera overlooking your backyard and that will probably stop him in his tracks.

not unless I have the evidence. he'll deny it. will get a cheap camera and take it from there.

Have a chat, do not accuse him of feeding the dog as he might not have. Just chat about how you're so concerned about the latest occasions where the dog get sick and ask for help, assuming he likes dogs. Ask him if he saw anyone nearby feeding your dog, please tell them not to as the dog has health concerns and might get sick. Also ask opinion on what else you could do as you don't want the dog to die early!

If I'm your neighbour, I'd appreciate the benefit of the doubt and likely to help (as I love dogs).

This was I think a few months ago. Fast forward today, we have changed Sam's food and he's losing weight. Yesterday, Sam did number 2 more than usual (about 6 times in a single day!!). This morning Sam was anxious to go out. I took him out and he vomited. Mainly liquid with exception of a piece of cooked bone. this can kill him!!!

what would you do?

I'm no Vet but first cab off the rank I would get the dog checked out for worms ,second once you install a camera you may well find out your dog is barking all day and the gentleman that maybe or maybe not is feeding your dog just wants the dog to keep quite,it can work both ways ..

Back