Somersoft Forum on mobile phone?

Maybe I should have been more specific, I find touching the small icons (iphone) with fingers to be problematic, ( like going to the next page where there is 1,2,3 at bottom of the page, ie the Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last » )
(I recently uses tapatalk on another forum ... so just wondered if easier way for small screen on somersoft)

I use my mobile device for casual browsing, like on the train...

Me too.
Usually the 1,2,3 and the arows << >>> are at the top and bottom. if top doesn't work, try bottom. I have an android too.

I think somersoft is using an adapted mobile software (my un-tech take on the situation). It would help if it had 'real' mobile software, as utilised by SMH, CNN, even the fair trading website.

... this can be fixed by us implementing a more mobile-friendly theme for the site - making links and buttons larger and more touch-friendly.

The software I'm planning on moving to has a mobile theme under development, but it's not yet available.

Hey Sim

Sounds great. Whens the upgrade planned for?

Sounds great. Whens the upgrade planned for?

It's going to take a while yet - I need to put together a heap of education for the users and moderators to make sure everyone is comfortable with the new software.

The basic stuff is pretty straight forward - works the same way as it does now.

It's the behind-the-scenes stuff (especially for moderators) which is significantly different (better in my opinion - but still different).

Sounds good. If you need an australian based host to run it off I am happy to offer a dedicated VPS for SS to use. We have just taken another rack in Vocus data centre in Sydney, awaiting the SAN and private/public cloud hypervisors to be delivered.

I downloaded opera mobile and tweaked a few options - turned off images etc - makes it better. A even slimmer page , that removes some of the stuff that is on every page like ...posting rules ...etc would be better

I'm very surprised that vBulletin does not have already have the option for a user to switch between normal and light/PDA web pages just with a link. Other brands of board software have had this for years...

Forums must waste a lot of bandwidth ... ie have to get the whole page again when a new reply is added - i have always thought a Forum board with a NNTP (newsreader) option would solve this problem. It is being requested in VBullieton forum here ... http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?333896-NNTP-feature&highlight=nntp

Absolutely, that is what I did. I have been using opera on my mobile and works like a charm. As cheezal said, you have to figure out a way to turn off the image from loading to your opera. I have a slow internet on my phone and I have to optimize it for faster browsing. Somersoft isn't much about images.

Absolutely, that is what I did. I have been using opera on my mobile and works like a charm. As cheezal said, you have to figure out a way to turn off the image from loading to your opera. I have a slow internet on my phone and I have to optimize it for faster browsing. Somersoft isn't much about images.
It is possible to turn off many of the forum images. Under "User CP", edit options, down near the bottom is an option for Forum Skins. I use Somersoft Plain Wide which excludes images such as avatars, but includes images posted by users. That's something Sim implemented some years ago- there was a request for the forum to be a little more discrete in the workplace.

It is possible to turn off many of the forum images. Under "User CP", edit options, down near the bottom is an option for Forum Skins. I use Somersoft Plain Wide which excludes images such as avatars, but includes images posted by users. That's something Sim implemented some years ago- there was a request for the forum to be a little more discrete in the workplace.

Thank you for reminding me. I absolutely forgot where I configured it as I was figuring out a way to turn off the loading of images including forum avatars. Should be very helpful. :)

Back