Somersoft Goodbye Thread

Discussion in 'Coffee Lounge' started by hobo-jo, 19th Jun, 2015.

1. hobo-jo

hobo-jo Not a bear just a realist

Given that new threads will be disabled from next week I thought it would be a good idea to get this thread started before that happens.

Most of my posts here have been on the economy, macro factors and thoughts on how they will affect the property cycle (leading to some heated debates) and affordability of property in general. However, I think the best content on Somersoft has always been the mechanics of property investing, the nuts and bolts questions and issues that people face every day and the discussion and information generated from that. From financing property, to buying and selling, to maintaining and developing and more. On that side of things Somersoft was/is unparalleled (for Australian based property investing information). I couldn't contribute much to those discussions, but I can tell you I have learned a lot from those with experience and do appreciate it. So if you ever wondered why I stuck around (even over the last 5 years having owned no property), there's your answer (along with keeping the permabulls in check and adding some balance to the conversation :D). I have taken on board a lot that will be useful when I buy back into the Adelaide market (likely in the next couple of years) and I don't think it will stop being that great resource (even in read only mode).

The end of Somersoft is a good opportunity to reassess my time spent on property forums. Maybe I will signup on Property Chat in the future but don't intend to for now and I hold reservations on how useful the new site will be (in comparison to Somersoft at least). Somersoft provides an easy ability for a diverse number of those in the industry to swap useful input (quickly & thoroughly answer questions posted by users) in exchange for exposure through signature links. The new site will only provide that for $1000 a year. Probably well worth it for some, but suspect it will greatly reduce the number of professionals contributing usefully to the site (not that input from private investors isn't also helpful).

Thanks again to the Somers for hosting this site (and covering the costs of doing so) and best of luck to Sim with his new site.

I will not be giving up my netizenship, so come say hi on Twitter for those who are there.

I wish you all profitable investing, good bye :)

Feel free to contribute your own goodbye if you will be parting ways.

S.T likes this.
  2. TMNT

TMNT Member

After reading the announcement, I simply asked myself, would I know as much as I know if this site had not existed, and the answer is a big fat "NO"

RIP!

3. Biz

Biz $17 DOLLAS YO!

What? That's it? Not even a goodbye graph?

4. hobo-jo

If you insist :p

Attached Files:

wobbycarly, Perp, VYBerlinaV8 and 2 others like this.
  5. Biz

Biz $17 DOLLAS YO!

HAHAHAHA good one! :D

Your frustration due to permabulls would have peaked around 2008 (GFC) though, no?

6. keithj

keithj Member

Media:
    Brilliant.... I have a similar chart - except one of the lines is inverted & labeled slightly differently :D

Regardless, best of luck with all your endeavors :)

7. depreciator

depreciator Member

Very good, Hobo.

You need to join up at the other place so you can tell us all when you finally buy something.

8. Azazel

Azazel Member

Awesome! The message you have entered is too short

9. neK

neK Member

That is Gold!

Why don't you signup on propertychat.

I don't see why it can't be somersoft 2.0.
    Same people, same contributions, just mobile device friendly.

It will only change if people similar to yourself don't come onboard and continue to contribute!

At the very least, sign up now so you can keep your name and don't have imposters pretending to you be.

10. VYBerlinaV8

VYBerlinaV8 Member

See you all on the flip side!

11. jerrybee

jerrybee Member

Funny it's called property chat and not forum. I haven't entered a chat room since the 90's!!!

12. Propertunity

Propertunity Real Estate Buyers Agent

Media:
    NSW Central Coast, Sydney, Newcastle and Lower Hunter
    Should be good, as long as it does not end up like Vegemite iSnack 2.0 :p

13. Phiber

Phiber Member

I second that!

14. wombat777

wombat777 Member

hobo-jo - Hope to see you over at PC. A diverse range of interests and experience is important. I've learnt a great deal here - your posts included.

15. see_change

see_change Apprentice Timing Lord

Media:
    Hobo

You've already rated a mention on PChat , along with a graph .......

https://propertychat.com.au/communi...ere-no-economist-has-gone-before.52/#post-487

Even I think I would miss you . We obviously disagree on many if not on most things , but I respect the way you present your case , even it'd it's totally doomed to failure :p

Not sure what the long term plans are , but normal membership is free . A premium membership is 99 which I was happy to pay to support all the work that sim has put in over the years and will do into the future .

BTW , I'd look at buying in Adelaide sooner than later , someone's got a herd of bulls cornered over there , but a couple have already slipped out and are running around the place .

Cliff

16. Gockie

Gockie Life loving Big 4 Banker

Feels like i'm on the Titantic, as the good ship goes down, i'm staying on till the end...

17. jingo

jingo Long Term Investor

Me too! Will there be a countdown leading up to the time we can no longer add to posts??

18. hobo-jo

For the record that chart looks the same upside down as it does the right way up :D

[​IMG]

Perhaps after a few months I will find that I miss stubborn debates that go nowhere and achieve nothing and slink back onto the new site :p but for now I think I will enjoy a break.

Attached Files:

19. RPI

RPI Member

I learnt more off this site than in the 9 years of university Study I have done. The wealth of knowledge on here and the real life experience is unparalleled, I send so many people I talk to over to this site, going to take a while to get used to not sending.

20. skater

skater Capitalist

Media:
    Best graph you've ever posted! :D