Somersoft Goodbye Thread

Given that new threads will be disabled from next week I thought it would be a good idea to get this thread started before that happens.

Most of my posts here have been on the economy, macro factors and thoughts on how they will affect the property cycle (leading to some heated debates) and affordability of property in general. However, I think the best content on Somersoft has always been the mechanics of property investing, the nuts and bolts questions and issues that people face every day and the discussion and information generated from that. From financing property, to buying and selling, to maintaining and developing and more. On that side of things Somersoft was/is unparalleled (for Australian based property investing information). I couldn't contribute much to those discussions, but I can tell you I have learned a lot from those with experience and do appreciate it. So if you ever wondered why I stuck around (even over the last 5 years having owned no property), there's your answer (along with keeping the permabulls in check and adding some balance to the conversation :D). I have taken on board a lot that will be useful when I buy back into the Adelaide market (likely in the next couple of years) and I don't think it will stop being that great resource (even in read only mode).

The end of Somersoft is a good opportunity to reassess my time spent on property forums. Maybe I will signup on Property Chat in the future but don't intend to for now and I hold reservations on how useful the new site will be (in comparison to Somersoft at least). Somersoft provides an easy ability for a diverse number of those in the industry to swap useful input (quickly & thoroughly answer questions posted by users) in exchange for exposure through signature links. The new site will only provide that for $1000 a year. Probably well worth it for some, but suspect it will greatly reduce the number of professionals contributing usefully to the site (not that input from private investors isn't also helpful).

Thanks again to the Somers for hosting this site (and covering the costs of doing so) and best of luck to Sim with his new site.

I will not be giving up my netizenship, so come say hi on Twitter for those who are there.

I wish you all profitable investing, good bye :)

Feel free to contribute your own goodbye if you will be parting ways.

Reactions: S.T
After reading the announcement, I simply asked myself, would I know as much as I know if this site had not existed, and the answer is a big fat "NO"

RIP!

Attachments

• somersoft.png
    somersoft.png
    10 KB · Views: 344
If you insist :p

That is Gold!

Why don't you signup on propertychat.

I don't see why it can't be somersoft 2.0.
Same people, same contributions, just mobile device friendly.

It will only change if people similar to yourself don't come onboard and continue to contribute!

At the very least, sign up now so you can keep your name and don't have imposters pretending to you be.

That is Gold!

Why don't you signup on propertychat.

I don't see why it can't be somersoft 2.0.
Same people, same contributions, just mobile device friendly.

It will only change if people similar to yourself don't come onboard and continue to contribute!

At the very least, sign up now so you can keep your name and don't have imposters pretending to you be.

I second that!

hobo-jo - Hope to see you over at PC. A diverse range of interests and experience is important. I've learnt a great deal here - your posts included.

Hobo

You've already rated a mention on PChat , along with a graph .......

https://propertychat.com.au/communi...ere-no-economist-has-gone-before.52/#post-487

Even I think I would miss you . We obviously disagree on many if not on most things , but I respect the way you present your case , even it'd it's totally doomed to failure :p

Not sure what the long term plans are , but normal membership is free . A premium membership is 99 which I was happy to pay to support all the work that sim has put in over the years and will do into the future .

BTW , I'd look at buying in Adelaide sooner than later , someone's got a herd of bulls cornered over there , but a couple have already slipped out and are running around the place .

Cliff

Hobo

You've already rated a mention on PChat , along with a graph .......
For the record that chart looks the same upside down as it does the right way up :D

profits.png

Perhaps after a few months I will find that I miss stubborn debates that go nowhere and achieve nothing and slink back onto the new site :p but for now I think I will enjoy a break.

Attachments

• CHrplCVVAAAiVxc.png
    CHrplCVVAAAiVxc.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 127
I learnt more off this site than in the 9 years of university Study I have done. The wealth of knowledge on here and the real life experience is unparalleled, I send so many people I talk to over to this site, going to take a while to get used to not sending.

Back