Somersoft Hacked?

Okay - yes, the forums were hacked. They inserted a bitly link at the end of everyone's signature, plus changed everyone's userprofile homepage to the same link.

The fix was easy and didn't take long (restored that data from recent backup), but I needed to spend some time searching through the database to see if I could detect any other changes that had been made.

Apologies for the extended outage.

Please let me know if you find anything strange or suspicious on the site.

I will continue investigating the source and cause of this hack.

Please let me know if you find anything strange or suspicious on the site.

I will continue investigating the source and cause of this hack.

It could be a test to check vulnerabilities for future hacks. Any info on the source of the hack would be good but also understand it's probably something you wouldn't want to divulge.

Well done Sim. Why do people take pleasure in making life hard for others?

Because they're losers. :cool:

On the basis of a weight loss link inserted into people's signatures, the hacker may be deemed to be The Biggest Loser :D

Thanks for getting SS up and running so quickly Sim.

That's pretty dumb, as if nobody would notice.
Time for vB 4.1.
I was online when it happened but did'nt notice "funny" sigs.
Unfortuantely the people on the other side of the link may not be the culprits, but some affiliate.

Oh well, the chatroom for fun for a while.

edit:
I just noticed the " Â " in my sig that I edited out.

Time for vB 4.1.

We will be migrating to XenForo actually - which is why we haven't upgraded in a while.

I've been waiting for some key features to be released in XenForo, plus porting some of my custom vBulletin plugins to XenForo so we can get similar functionality on the new site.

You're a champion Sim - thanks to you and the mods for putting in the effort to keep SS largely spam free.

Cheers

Jamie

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76639
After starting the above thread, I received an email supposedly from "google" and the subject was something like "Important changes to have greater control with google" I just assumed it was a hacking with my email account associated with this site. Is that typical?

Do you use gmail, google calendar or any other google services with an account? I don't know the email you got, but they have actually made some significant changes to poilcy which they are doing all they can to let their customers know about.

Do you use gmail, google calendar or any other google services with an account? I don't know the email you got, but they have actually made some significant changes to poilcy which they are doing all they can to let their customers know about.
Possibly google earth

probably a legit email then, and just a coincidence that you happened to post about google that day.

I think they've updated their privacy policy so it is ubiquitous across all their services.

Back