somersoft site performance feedback needed

Is somersoft fast or slow?

Hi somersofters, how's the forums speed:

a) in the past weeks/months
b) today onward

Any difference/the same/slower/faster?

thanks for your feedback

Last edited:
I was with Optus, and I was blocked out a while back.

It was only after I was able to log back in that I found out that the reason was Optus.

For those who don't know- Muppie runs the hosting for Somersoft. As well as for my own site.

speed today the best its been since i started with s/s a few mths back...

often it was pretty average.

did you change your server?

if so who may i ask as i have a few issues with sites i own also of late.

cheers

Speed has been good and logon great, i have not had any time outs, so if it stays like this it would be great,
Small request, It seems to take forever to get PM's is it instant messaging, or slower like e-mail or slower like australia post:D

There were some problems a while ago, and sometimes it would just hang as you posted, and especially edited, a post. But it seems better lately. I thought muppie was being a sticky beak until I saw geoff's post! craigb, nothing is slower than Australia Post - even express post takes 2 days now. Big deal, you get the money back for the envelope, but that is hardly the point.

Speed has been good and logon great, i have not had any time outs, so if it stays like this it would be great,
Small request, It seems to take forever to get PM's is it instant messaging, or slower like e-mail or slower like australia post:D
craigb, about the PM's - they should be instant but I don't know exactly how vBulletin's system works. They are not instant like chat but the next time you load the page it will notify you of any incoming PM's. It is definitely not like email because PM's don't get 'transmitted'. It simply stays in the database on the same system that everyone is accessing through the site.

Please keep posting your feedback throughout the week regarding the site performance. The true test will be on Monday / work days.

speed today the best its been since i started with s/s a few mths back...

often it was pretty average.

did you change your server?

if so who may i ask as i have a few issues with sites i own also of late.

cheers
csc, the same hosting company moved somersoft to a better server as an overall upgrade project.

Muppie, its currently the fastest its been for as long as I can remember.

In recent time its proven frustrating waiting for pages to load.

A welcome change - Great work mate.

Generally pretty good, and I connect through my mobile phone via GPRS in a poor mobile service area. So I'd give it a thumbs up.

No problem with speed but it had been dropping out a lot <unable to connect> over the last couple of months?

ok in the last few days (I guess - I was up the coast and net free for the weekend).
Thanks to Sim' and a few others I run on internode mainly. Along with 3 on the BB and wireless

The PMs - just when you're having a long PM with someone that trail really seems to drag but thats more a scrolling thing than dl speeds

Last edited:
HI again Muppie
I have noticed this weird thing that happens from time to time. I use 'new posts' to read the forum as it shows me all the posts (threads added to) since my last visit. Sometimes when I click on a thread I have made a post in (and seeing there is a new post) I click on it and find that the last post was made ages ago and I had already read it. But on the 'new posts' it says that a post was made this morning.

Unfortunately I cant post a screenshot of what I mean because the file is over the 100kbs

HI again Muppie
I have noticed this weird thing that happens from time to time. I use 'new posts' to read the forum as it shows me all the posts (threads added to) since my last visit. Sometimes when I click on a thread I have made a post in (and seeing there is a new post) I click on it and find that the last post was made ages ago and I had already read it. But on the 'new posts' it says that a post was made this morning.

Unfortunately I cant post a screenshot of what I mean because the file is over the 100kbs
Pushka

That could well be for a poll. If a thread has a poll it moves to the top of the new posts every time somebody votes.

If that's not it, it's probably a Sim' issue than a Muppie issue.

we appear to be 'next door' to the host server

c:\documents and settings\administrator>ping somersoft.com

Pinging somersoft.com [65.99.229.5] with 32 bytes of data

Reply from 65.99.229.5: bytes=32 time=7ms ttl=50

Ping statistics for 65.99.229.5
Packets: sent = 4, received = 4, lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 7ms, Average = 7ms

Back