Somersoft Spreadsheet Collection

Please let me know if I'm missing anything from the spread sheet.

Not so much missing something, just a wrong definition in Note 15.

Yield is not calculated as the rent received divided by the amount of the loan.

If that were the case, Mr & Mrs henry McDougall, who owned 37 Bramer St outright for the past 65 years and rented it out for $ 150 pw....by your definition you'd say they were getting an infinite yield.

I can confidently say, that at a value of 400K, the yield they are receiving is most definitely not infinite.

Cheers Dazz, your right, it should have read purchase price (not loan). Just keeping you on your toes :)

Thanks for looking at it - I appreciate it.

Jamie

No worries at all, I'm glad someone found it useful.

Nope, don't deal with IMB....but to deal with plenty of other good ones :)

Jamie

hi guys & gals,

just found y'all because i've been hunting around for a model to help me work out a buy/hold/sell strategy for my (future!) portfolio

i've just purchased my first property (2br south melbourne off the plan) and plan on using any equity and savings i amass to finance an additional property as soon as i settle.

can anybody recommend a multiple property model that might help me?
I've had a look on the investmentpropertycalculator.com.au website and they have one for $120 which might give me an idea of the different outcomes certain strategies would render.

thanks so much,

jase

Jase

Don't waste your money, there are many free spreadsheets including the one attached here.

However, I feel that you're rushing things.
You're buying something off the plan in a market which has been increasing by double digits for 2 years in a row so what equity are you talking about?
It won't have any.

Anyway, this thread isn't about giving advice so if you want to ask more questions, start your own thread and we'll be glad to help.

Attachments

• Personal + SMSF Property Holdings.xls
    56.5 KB · Views: 711
Last edited:
I'm looking at ways to reduce my tax and at this stage I'm only interested in approx. numbers and to educale myself on how the tax man take his money from me.

Steve

You'll probably benefit from looking at my " PERSONAL+ SMSF Holdings" spreadsheet I uploaded in the thread below because you can see what impact a tax deduction has on your taxable income.

I tried to keep it simple to read and understand but if you have any questions feel free to post them there.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65231&page=3

It depends on what you want to see. All the calculators etc cannot help you to build your strategy, they can only tell you the possible performance of your properties based on your input so your own research is very important.

The one from investmentpropertycalculator.com.au website might be the only one that can simulate a portfolio. If you have multiple properties bought in different years on different dates, it might be worth to try.

hi guys & gals,

just found y'all because i've been hunting around for a model to help me work out a buy/hold/sell strategy for my (future!) portfolio

i've just purchased my first property (2br south melbourne off the plan) and plan on using any equity and savings i amass to finance an additional property as soon as i settle.

can anybody recommend a multiple property model that might help me?
I've had a look on the investmentpropertycalculator.com.au website and they have one for $120 which might give me an idea of the different outcomes certain strategies would render.

thanks so much,

jase

Hi Andy,
I've updated the spreadsheet with the 2007/2008 tax rates. This was only a minor change with the $6,000 - $25,000 bracket in 2006/2007 moving to $6,000 - $30,000 in 2007/2008. Hope this helps. Let me know if there are any problems.
Ben

Is there an updated version of this spreadsheet ?

Cheers

Purchase Inspection Analysis

This one can be handy to keep track of the properties you are viewing.

Attachments

• Purchase_Inspection_Analysis2.pdf
    165 KB · Views: 900
Thanks everyone for sharing their spreadsheets.

I have one question, which I hope people here can help with. In the absence of the super model mentioned earlier in the thread, I am looking for something that will do projections like PIA or the IP Holding spreadsheet, but at the same time allow me to tweak the model by entering actuals for years past. I could do something like this by overriding the values in the IP Holdings spreadsheet, but is there something else out there that can do this. I've had a look at the PIA demo, but it does not seem to support entering actuals.

Thanks everyone for sharing their spreadsheets.

I have one question, which I hope people here can help with. In the absence of the super model mentioned earlier in the thread, I am looking for something that will do projections like PIA or the IP Holding spreadsheet, but at the same time allow me to tweak the model by entering actuals for years past. I could do something like this by overriding the values in the IP Holdings spreadsheet, but is there something else out there that can do this. I've had a look at the PIA demo, but it does not seem to support entering actuals.

I appreciate what you are asking, but wonder how much utilitarian value it would have. Keep in mind when a xls is running one annual figure for each year, it is impossible to represent intra year interest rate and rent changes accurately.

I think you can spend a lot of time trying to analyse something to the nth degree, when it is wiser to stay back and retain a view of the forest.

James,

OK, I'll throw a few up here that might be of use to members. The LOE one is just a really simple illustration of how LOE can work. The second one is my IP costing bible. I can't lay claim to the original spreadsheet but I added a few little bits like the rental reality check for those Navra-ites amongst us. Whether you adhere to rental reality or not, it is still a powerful IP modelling spreadsheet.

I've posted other spreadsheets to the forum over the years, but most were targetted to specific questions posed. If I find anything else useful then I'll post it up as well.

Cheers,
Michael.

Hi All,

First, bloody good thread this. Somersoft is such a good resource so I thought I'd try and give my little bit back.

Shamelessly:p copied from the second post in this thread back in 2006, a couple of years and many tweaks later is my version of the IP Calcualtor/Bible attached. Lets multiple properties be consolidated, also showing tax implications.

An early warning, it is pretty complex, but quite comprehensive.

First sheet (Portfolio) is where consolidation occurs, and also shows cashflows, including any tax implications based on wage income (assuming you hold properties in your own name).

Second sheet (PropList) is a simple property summary to update every now and then.

Third Sheet (PPOR) is where you can enter all details for your PPOR. PPOR must go here as costs are excluded from tax calcs. Living expenses are also put in here.

Each sheet between Prop> and <Prop represent each IP you hold (or are planning on purchasing). These are what get consolidated on the first sheet.

Sheets between DD> and <DD are extra sheets for properties you are looking at (or are in due diligence)

The trick is to setup an IP between the DD sheets to see how it performs in its own right. Once it is setup, drag the whole sheet across so it sits between the Prop> and <prop then look at the Portfolio sheet to see the effect your new IP would have on your portfolio.

Stamp duty rates are for NSW, but there are tables that can be changed on each individual IP sheet. Current income tax scales are on the Portfolio sheet.

There's a (crude) commercial property sheet setup as well which calculates future value based on income and cap rates for those commercial folk. (I'll stress it's crude, but does the job somewhat)

Hmm, what else...oh of course, only enter information in coloured cells, everything else is a calculation. (You'll see what I mean)

Enjoy.:D

* Disclaimer - this should not be used as professional advice. It is also being posted with the intention of helping all somersoft members who have provided me with so much information, so copy it and give it to other people, but dont go trying to sell it to anyone.:p

Attachments

• IPCalculator (MUH) - Template.zip
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,123
Last edited:
Reactions: BV
Back