Somerton Man

Anyone read about this or intrigued about it? I'm a bit of a fan of mysteries and this really caught my attention years ago when I started to read about Madeline McCann and accidentally stumbled upon it. The whole mystery reads better than any fiction book I've read.

It's been 65 years, all the main people in the whole saga are dead, so I don't think the truth will ever been known. There have been suicide, espionage and even car theft racket theories. Every piece of evidence is ambiguous and or leads to nowhere and where there is a lead, there seems to be lacking solid evidence to support a conclusion.

IMHO I think it was spy/espionage related - if you look all the pieces of evidence it seems all too complex for a suicide case or car theft ring. The whole code book and stuff such as links to ASIO etc just rubbishs the other two theories.

I grew up in Somerton Park, and am very familiar with the story. I tend to agree with you that that espionage is the most likely. It would be interesting to see if an autopsy conducted now could shed more light on the specific cause of death, or poison/drug used. Adelaide, for a sleepy capital city & the City of Churches, has had many unsolved crimes (predominantly child abductions) over the years- perhaps more proportionately so than the larger states.

Adelaide, for a sleepy capital city & the City of Churches, has had many unsolved crimes (predominantly child abductions) over the years- perhaps more proportionately so than the larger states.

Lots of churches, lots of missing children. Co-incidence?

I grew up in Somerton Park, and am very familiar with the story. I tend to agree with you that that espionage is the most likely. It would be interesting to see if an autopsy conducted now could shed more light on the specific cause of death, or poison/drug used. Adelaide, for a sleepy capital city & the City of Churches, has had many unsolved crimes (predominantly child abductions) over the years- perhaps more proportionately so than the larger states.

Ive read somewhere it has the highest murders per capita in the world! More than the next region of Southern California! Also notice the patch Nullabor between Perth and Adelaide is the most dangerous in Australia? Adelaide just seems like a very big country town. I use to think the Nullabor was dangerous on the Perth end, my colleague recently corrected me and said the most dangerous stretch is more towards the Adelaide end!

The more you read about the related evidence the more confusing and wider spread the mystery becomes, almost everyone who is mentioned in the trial of evidence is somehow involved. Everything just seemed so set up and it was inter-wined and some things just seem a bit too co-incidental.

I'd probably nail it down to espionage or some very early cult like following.

The Beaumont kids was also very interesting and chilling, it changed the way Australia viewed security in the country. Even growing up in the 80s and early 90s I remember being about 8 years old riding bikes till 7pm or later in newly built estates with my elder sister (11) and the girl next door (10). My 2 cousins (8 and 6 at the time) and myself (8) went alone to the milk bar alone 1.5km from home walking via a very deserted patch of unbuilt land.

These days my younger cousins are even allowed to take the bus to school despite being 15+ years old and having a mobile phone.

The thing that seems so fishy if someone ever watched the 1978 Stuart Littlemore 40 minute documentary on it...in that video, almost everyone who has touched the case (not those that hadn't had direct involvement) involved seems to know something on the case, but won't tell much until years later.

Dark dark days back in the 40s anywhere in the world, lot of this Clock and Dagger stuff. Reminds me of that movie Tinker Toy Soldier.

Ive read somewhere it has the highest murders per capita in the world! More than the next region of Southern California! .

I doubt that's anywhere near true. There are regions in Mexico, run by drug cartels that would have more murders in a day than Adelaide has in a year.

I think there has been a lot of unsolved, intriguing cases that have garnered a lot of attention. Cases like the Beaumont children (a case that is now 45 years old), the Snowtown murders etc, but the actual numbers per capita would be similar across Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

http://www.news.com.au/travel/austr...urches-after-all/story-e6frfq7r-1226837703820
(Scroll to the bottom)

Back