Sonos Playbar with older TV.

So in my new home I am going to use Sonos gear.

But I was thinking of getting the Playbar now to use with my TV then add to it when the new house is done.

But it just has an optical cable input. I'm seeing lots of compatibility issues with older TVs like mine. Mine was built 2007 and whilst it works perfectly fine it doesn't have the right optical cable output.

Eventually I'll get a smart TV that will be ok. But in the meantime I think I need some sort of adaptor or switch to convert the either the RCA or HDMI outputs to Optical cable.

Anyone done this or know anything about it? The mouth breathers at JB weren't any help .....

Sonos is a brand of audio gear where the speakers are on your wifi network and you can operate the sytem from your phone or tablet playing music from your hard drive and also web based providers such as radio stations etc.

So basically fairly small high quality speakers placed wherever you have a PowerPoint available. No other cables, no amplifier etc.

Ooh just looked it up and I like what I see - but can't afford it.

I recently bought a PA/DJ system from Aldi for $129. Comes with microphone for karaoke etc, plays USB sticks, you can plug guitars into it and blootooths with your mobile phone, PC's and TV's (except mine). Also has legs and wheels and extendable handle to pull around like luggage. My only complaint is the LED lights on top are so bright you can't read the controls 'cos you're blinded by them. Other than that - quite impressed. A solid piece of kit for ALDI.

Won't pair with my TV (which was the main reason I got it) because I have a Samsung smart TV and the only option they give you for bluetooth pairing is with a Samsung sound bar. Cheeky buggers!

Back