Sooky-la-la

But that's what I was getting at - there is an element of young'uns who want the best of everything without realising that you need to choose if you can't afford it all ... and sadly, with social media, instead of just whinging to their friends in similar circumstances, they can whinge to the world.

With social media people tend to only present the best image of themselves - they only post their best pictures, the photos of their trips overseas so they give the impression that their life is fantastic. This means that others who view their profile feel inadequate in a relative sense. Hence the large weddings / frequent overseas trips for validation.

some of those bali weddings seem like a great idea!!

wedding and honeymoon in one
cheap wedding/food/venue
only your true close friends/relatives will come

No - the daughter and her partner are paying ... my wedding cost around $1,000 in 2001 including dress and rings ... but then we got married at home, bbq dinner, close friends and immediate family only, byo grog.

Best wedding I've ever been to.

But that's what I was getting at - there is an element of young'uns who want the best of everything without realising that you need to choose if you can't afford it all ... and sadly, with social media, instead of just whinging to their friends in similar circumstances, they can whinge to the world.

It's all about victim mentality - oh woe is me ...

i dont think it's just the young'uns. there has always been a lack of financial literacy in this country, people have been making stupid decisions with the money for decades.

i dont think it's just the young'uns. there has always been a lack of financial literacy in this country, people have been making stupid decisions with the money for decades.

i think thats what makes the aussie economy what it is, lack of planning, living paycheck to pay check, great welfare system, huge taxes, nanny state

and thats what makes so many people want to migrate here, hence the strong economy

So very true sanj. Why generalize the youth of today? Our generation did similar- we just didn't have FB back then to document our every move....(and often by someone else) and there are poor money managers in every age bracket, that's for sure.

Home_ownership_in_Australia

Very true - we just didn't hear of it in the media and online every second day.

When I say young'uns ... I guess I mean anyone younger than me who has a public whinge ... I suddenly feel old

Very true - we just didn't hear of it in the media and online every second day.

When I say young'uns ... I guess I mean anyone younger than me who has a public whinge ... I suddenly feel old

Haha, if it makes you feel any better, I know one who is 64 with a huge chip on her shoulder as well as a victim mentality. Always on Facebook telling the world of her woes. Has been evicted many times for non payment of rent, yet has bought a brand new Harley Davidson as well as four pairs of skates. I'm talking the sort that only the elite buy here. Over a couple K for each. Has a wardrobe worth thousands too.

Was recently given a HC unit, but "it's not big enough to swing a cat" so she doesn't use it, just collects her mail so they can't take it off her.

BayView;! I saw a HD 50" tv in the Aldi catalogue yesterday for $199. .[/QUOTE said:
Aghh the carrots that Aldi dangle to get you into their stores. These are special buys so they can't give you a stores phone number so you can check if they have any left before you drive in. To not miss out people line up outside waiting for the doors to open at 8.30am - to an unknown quantities that the store may or may not have. While they are there anyway they might as well do their shopping.
Q. How many of us are not working or not taking kids to school or don't have other responsibilities so can take advantage of these special buys?

Aghh the carrots that Aldi dangle to get you into their stores. These are special buys so they can't give you a stores phone number so you can check if they have any left before you drive in. To not miss out people line up outside waiting for the doors to open at 8.30am - to an unknown quantities that the store may or may not have. While they are there anyway they might as well do their shopping.
Q. How many of us are not working or not taking kids to school or don't have other responsibilities so can take advantage of these special buys?

yeah with a quota of 10 in stock

and there are 40 people lined up before the doors open,

its a typical aldi tactic

And we had to walk to school 4 o'clock every morning with no shoes on, uphill, both ways, in 5 feet of snow and we were thankful!

Haha, sounds like you went to the school of hard knocks Property Girl! :)

As a 23 yr old these generalisations are pretty silly. People are people, some have an entitlement mentality, some whinge, some get on with it. And if we're being honest, on any given week we all probably feel/act all of them in one moment or another... not sure what when you were born has to do with it???

Aghh the carrots that Aldi dangle to get you into their stores.
But, it was a catalogue my wife picked up when she was in the store.

But yes; the old carrot.

Still; it's a HD tv for not much.

I priced 50" tv's in HN last year - $696 in the box...still cheaper than they were 5 years ago.

It is easier to 'get into the market' these days due to the abundance of 95% loans available and a FHOG.

Back then you had to have 20% deposit, even if you could prove that you had the ability to make the payments on a higher lend, and you had to show it had come from savings, not as a 'gift'. There was no FHOG either.

I think it is easier for people to overextend themselves now, than it was back then. Many seem to buy at the top of their affordability, which can make finances tight, especially in the environment we have now, with low interest rates. It will be a world of hurt for some when the rates eventually rise, as we all know they must do at some time.

20% deposits? must vary from state to state as my parents (22 years ago) had just moved into the state (WA) had no jobs, no deposit other than their car (yes, they sold their car) and were given a loan.

is there any thread that you dont get emotional and try and put people down?

You should perhaps read what was previously said. All I said was that it was harder these days for younger people to buy a house. I know because I bought my first house exactly 34 years ago. It wasn't difficult then. I was then accused of lying about paying it off and feeling 'entitled' because I said that it is not fun travelling three hours to and from work. And I'm the one getting emotional? Please.

Last edited:
Haha, sounds like you went to the school of hard knocks Property Girl! :)

As a 23 yr old these generalisations are pretty silly. People are people, some have an entitlement mentality, some whinge, some get on with it. And if we're being honest, on any given week we all probably feel/act all of them in one moment or another... not sure what when you were born has to do with it???

lol, I was being sarcastic. I think the generalisations are silly too. I know a lot of 20-something year olds. As you say, some whinge and other get on with it.

The older generation has been doing it for a LONG time--saying how tough it was back in 'our' day. I think kids nowadays have it much tougher than we had it.

The older generation has been doing it for a LONG time--saying how tough it was back in 'our' day. I think kids nowadays have it much tougher than we had it.

Case by case, there are always exceptions. I will never be able to say to my parents that I have it harder because it's simply not true.

The difference is that the older folk can compare yesterday to today from actual experience.

Younger folks can't.

Here's one example of life then and now and I can give you hundreds if you want - and to quantify; I am not rich now;

My son is 12. We have an automatic dishwasher, a front loading washing machine, a dryer, reverse cycle air con throughout house, 50" HD tv's...and so on.

Compare to me at 12 - No dishwasher, washing machine had the two reels to wring out the washing, no clothes dryer, no aircon - just a gas wall heater in one room, black and white tv (small screen - 20" I guess?), renting, one car, one corded phone.

Not exactly Monty Python's Four Yorkshireman...but it actually was tougher for most Mr.Average folks back then.

Not to say life wasn't good - you only know what you know. An eskimo thinks life is good, I'd wager.

If you are talking specifically about the ability to buy a property; it has been done to death here by me and several other old f@rts that it most definitely is not harder.

Any young person can go out into my neighborhood right now and buy a cheap house - but they don't want to live HERE....

I remember getting off the tram at the end of the line at Burwood with my mother - to go and visit her sister.

I was about 6 I think. We walked down a dirt road to get to her house....it was at the end of civilization and cheap to live there; that's why they lived there. Fern Tree Gully was a day-drive in the country.

That is where young folk lived if they wanted to buy a home - out in the new estates where the roads weren't finished...not frickin' Camberwell, or Southbank, or Elwood, etc.

Compare to me at 12 - No dishwasher, washing machine had the two reels to wring out the washing, no clothes dryer, no aircon ...

I didn't have any of those things either. We played outside with our neighbourhood friends until the sun went down. I got my first bike in my early teens. It was second hand. I remember riding it happily up and down the street. Times have changed.

Imo though, it is harder for young people to get into the ppty market. Empirical evidence and statistics bear that out. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Back