sound reduction window treatment

Okay - we're building (still in design stage) as you ALL know - sigh! So many decisions to make ...

Windows ... we are near a small airfield - so no big jets etc - but would like to sound insulate the house as much as feasible, without spending a bomb, for those weekend sleep-ins. Can almost set your watch by the 7am weekday takeoffs. The noise is not irritating like a busy road would be, but it is there and don't want to regret the decision down the track.

Was looking at installing low e efficient glass in the windows, but realised they may not dampen the aircraft sound at all - and I can't seem to find any specs relating to soundproofing on this product. There is a LOT of glass in the house so relying on wall/ceiling insulation is really not enough.

The options are double glazing or low e glass ... can anyone point me towards data regarding the sound transmitting capacity of each.

Thanks

triple glazed aluminium windows that's 4 pieces of glass - which i got for one of my places for my bedroom.

can't barely hear the dog (maybe only 20% of barking) on the street after that.

triple glazed aluminium windows that's 4 pieces of glass - which i got for one of my places for my bedroom.

can't barely hear the dog (maybe only 20% of barking) on the street after that.

Now that's going a bit over the top! Designer will do the work if I want, but was trying to save some time/cost - and satisfy hubby's engineering nature.

Double glazing is fabulous.

Had it installed at work and now cannot hear the trucks that screech down the hill outside the windows that used to be so loud that phone calls had to be interrupted.
Marg

Not sure where you are building, but you could always consider Magnetite. I was very impressed with their product. Should probably note that we didn't end up getting it, simply because the husband was feeling like a tight@rse, but don't worry, at some stage we will ;)
www.magnetite.com.au

Will probably go low e glass ... was advised by a builder friend last week that it reflects noise due to film. He was more concerned about noise inside the house - but if it reflects outside noise I'll be happy.

If not enough for warmth I'll put up curtains as well.

All the glazing in the world wont be of use unless the whole house is designed to block noise.

Consider things like double brick exterior, soundchek gyprock sheeting for ceilings, 12 inch insulation or insulation + 20mm yellow tongue sheetijg over rafters. Lots of noise comes through the roof and not just the windows.

If you don't want to fork out for double glazed units, consider using 6.38 mm laminated glass or thicker (with all the low e properties). Alternatively, you could design & incorporate the blockout shutters into the external wall to cover the windows externally, provide a greater degree of security & shading. They are filled with insulating foam so will reduce noise levels, reduce heat loss/gain etc.

All the glazing in the world wont be of use unless the whole house is designed to block noise.

Consider things like double brick exterior, soundchek gyprock sheeting for ceilings, 12 inch insulation or insulation + 20mm yellow tongue sheetijg over rafters. Lots of noise comes through the roof and not just the windows.

Don't worry - the rest of the insulation is covered. The windows were the last factor the designers wanted us to decide re sound and heat. Thanks anyhow

Back