Soundscreen to Loadbearing Walls?

Hi, my property is currently in the construction stage and I am looking to apply insulation soundscreens to a number of walls.

My question is, is it necessary to apply soundscreen to loadbearing walls. What is the loadbearing walls usually made from? Are they solid brick walls? I am building a single story house with a volume builder.

Many thanks in advance.

I am building a single story house with a volume builder.

Maybe you should try building a single storey house with a volume control builder? :D

On a serious note - what are you proposing to do & how are you installing it?
Is the house on a main road or similar? or under a flight path?

Nice pun! ;)

No, it's not because it's under a flight path. I am just very sensitive to noise, especially during my bed time. ;) so I am trying to minimize it wherever possible.

I don't know much about how they're going to do it but I was told that they're going to put the R 2.0 soundscreen (if I'm not mistaken, or whatever it is) insulation rather than plastering. The master bedroom is separated from the main entrance passage by a loadbearing wall.

So the question is simple, do I need soundscreen for loadbearing walls? Do they already have good enough noise insulation compared to curtain walls? It doesn't have to be completely sound proof.

Cheers,
Steve

I thought in your average brick veneer house all the walls were much the same - timber with no insulation and 10mm gyprock stuck on.

For soundproofing I guess you are getting insulation batts in the walls? Insulation in the walls makes a difference, but then so does carpet. Tiled floors or timber floors are dreadful. Blinds vs curtains makes a huge difference too. I have a couple of rooms in my current house that are almost soundproof - I can't hear 3 8yo girls scream in there at the top of their lungs ... from the next room.

Have you looked at the Boral product range? I think there is one called soundstop or something that you use instead of regular gyprock.

If your house is brick veneer then the walls will be timber. Soundscreen is a type of insulation. Your load bearing walls have the same sound transmission properties as any other timber wall so if you want to soundproof then you will need to do them as well.I would be insulating rather than looking at soundstop board.

Tools

Hiya

have just done something similar

CSR make a higher density Gyprock called "soundcheck", in addition the cavity on the stud walls can and should be filled with acoustic matting, not dissimilar to fibreglass insulation.

Not the same as double cavity brick obviously, but a good improvement on 20 mm of Gyprock

tarolf

Cheers, you guys are champions!

Looks like I will need it for the load bearing walls as well. Glad it's not that expensive, the quote for a single wall is $100~$200. It's not a rip off, or is it?

sound check is like others said , different plastering material, reduces sound vibration, and is better than 10 mm gyprock type products, for noise.

2, a load bearing wall is a wall that hold up somthing ie roof, or other story, it can be build from, brick , timber studs, or steel posts, most of these will be of the cavity nature, and yes you can fill them with insulation and add sound check as well.
all external walls are required to be insulated "new homes' , but the internal ones do not, there is also a sound insulation for internal walls although i have not used it.

when building units they require , two stud walls and two layers of sound check, and sound reducing insulation, the sheets must be layed so the joints oppose the others., beetween units that is???:rolleyes:

Back