South Australian Housing Shortage On The Way

The South Australian economy is eventually going to recover. In the meanwhile Adelaide has continuous population growth + Government imposed urban growth boundaries. In the future there's going to be more demand than supply= increased house prices.

I guess, the article reads different tho... it suggests builders etc are leaving because the economy is dying. No point building if there is no demand.

A strange article in that it seems to suggest that everywhere but SA is booming, where as every else is actually in the doldrums other than Sydney - low economic and high economic growth areas alike, all in one little hand basket

"The South Australian housing market is currently experiencing a very severe downturn, with a significant number of building companies having closed their doors over the last 18 months," he told The Australian Financial Review.
"There are rumours that some large interstate companies may be scaling down or leaving the state."
An anaemic housing market adds to the woes facing SA Premier Jay Weatherill.

Unless you're being facetious, 2FAST4U?

Doesn't look like rock-bottom yet.

"We could be in for a 10 to 15 per cent fall in new home building activity that could take us back to some of the lowest levels we've seen in the last 15 years..."

Meanwhile population growth has lost around 1/3 falling from 1.5% a few years ago to around 1% now, so the fall in building activity we've already seen (& more) is probably justified.

Population growth remains relatively weak in both Tasmania and South Australia, in part due to ongoing net outward migration to the other states.
http://www.rba.gov.au/publications/bulletin/2015/mar/pdf/bu-0315-2.pdf

Maybe a shortage develops if building continues to decline and population growth eventually turns back higher, but that "shortage" would probably be years away.

Great news the new builds are keeping a lid on cg for my munno parra west property.

South Australia has always struggled in an economic sense, it's held back by its own population who are very conservative when it comes to development. There is a sizeable investment in the pipeline for the North South corridor , ie South Road with about 1.6 billion in projects out to tender and several more in planning but it needs much more than that, it really needed Olympic dam.

...it's held back by its own population who are very conservative when it comes to development.

I guess my sentiment mirrors your description of us, but as someone who doesn't like huge crowds everywhere I go I think the conservative development & lower density makes Adelaide much more livable. There is no way I would live in Sydney.

e.g. I enjoy the local beaches, but I enjoy this:

479087-henley-beach-foreshore.jpg

I wouldn't enjoy this:

584888-bondi-beach.gif

I guess my sentiment mirrors your description of us, but as someone who doesn't like huge crowds everywhere I go I think the conservative development & lower density makes Adelaide much more livable. There is no way I would live in Sydney.

I wouldn't enjoy this:

584888-bondi-beach.gif

Ditto
Love the uncrouded Adelaide beaches.

I just hate dogs on beaches - but more people with dogs would be worse :)

I wouldn't enjoy this:

584888-bondi-beach.gif

Adelaide has crap beaches

Adelaide has crap beaches
We have better than anything within 30mins-1hr of the CBD in Sydney or Melbourne (at least from that I've seen). Even in Brisbane you really have to travel 1-1.5+ hours to get to nicer spots.

They aren't "crap". Those closest to the CBD aren't any good for surfing, but are still great beaches. Show me another (capital) city where I can live 20-25mins from the CBD, 500 metres from the beach and rent for pocket change or buy a house on a reasonable block for less than the average apartment cost in Sydney.

Each to their own, but posts like yours don't really add to reasonable discussion.

I was just expressing a view - people aren't moving to Adelaide for its beaches so you can continue to be conservative about development and be the poor cousin of the federation for as long as you like

I've never heard of anyone moving to a capital city specifically for it's beaches, it was just one observation of where we don't suffer overcrowding compared with Sydney. As I said I'll take the conservative approach of Adelaide any day as it results in a better quality of life (at least for those on moderate incomes).

Back