South facing block subdivision problem with Whitehorse council

Hi all got referred to this forum by my friend and I have got some problems seeking ur opinions

we just submitted an application to have an another 3bed double storey dwelling constructed at the back of our existing house on Springfield Rd. Our property is on the south side of the road.

Today we got a letter from the council saying they dont like the following two issues
- secluded private space area is minimal in size and considered insufficient to meet the likely recreational needs of future occupants given the number of bedrooms proposed.
*have to admit its abit small coz its only 36sqm where the council minimum is 35sqm...

-The secluded private open space area is poorly oriented to the south of the existing dwelling
*I am not sure how this can be fixed given the block being on the south of Springfield road...

Any one experienced the same issues in the subdivision?
Any idea to make the council more agreeable?
Thank heap!

Just move the POS from the rear of the rear house, to the front of the rear house so that there is northern light interaction for the front rooms and only minimum distance between house and rear fence.

Whitehorse have a tendancy of creating a stir over you reaching their regulations labeling them as "barely minimal". It still meets regulations!

I would consult the council for an onsight meeting, but come up with a couple of ideas to bring to their attention so the meet isn't a waste to both parties.

Westminster has a great idea. I would start with this - provided it doesn't overshadow the neighbour to the south (their north facing backyard).

They can also 'accept the minimalistic design of SPOS if you compromise with something else - ie more canopy trees, reduction of bulk upper level etc.

just some thoughts to think about...

Just move the POS from the rear of the rear house, to the front of the rear house so that there is northern light interaction for the front rooms and only minimum distance between house and rear fence.

Finally the plan snap shot is attached....

Westminster could u plz elaborate abit on about moving the POS to the front?
Thx

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.JPG
    New Bitmap Image.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 91
The POS should go behind the garage that is located in the middle RHS of the block (I think it's the front house garage) then having living areas off that

Its a bit hard for me to tell as that is a picture of the upper storey

As ulvit said, the Council should be OK with POS anywhere for the rear dwelling (as long as the living is adjacent), they just don't want it in the front yard near the street. Westminster has a good suggestion worth considering, but without knowing the full context of the site and adjoining properties I can't give any further advice.

At the risk of sounding like pushing my own industry, this is where a private town planner or designer that is well versed in the planning controls is valuable.

we have got a building designer taking care of this n hes the one telling us the council doesnt like the pos at the front even for the front unit...not sure whether i should tell him what u guys advised n telling him how to do the job:eek:

weird thing though on that letter from the council concerning the south facing pos and minimum pos they said advertising can start now next week or so:eek: I thought the council wont agree on advertizing until they r fully satisfied in their end?:confused::confused:

we have got a building designer taking care of this n hes the one telling us the council doesnt like the pos at the front even for the front unit...not sure whether i should tell him what u guys advised n telling him how to do the job:eek:

weird thing though on that letter from the council concerning the south facing pos and minimum pos they said advertising can start now next week or so:eek: I thought the council wont agree on advertizing until they r fully satisfied in their end?:confused::confused:

Sometimes council will let you advertise and let the objections, if any, dictate the required changes (to a certain point).

A balcony might assist you :

a) It is considered as a POS.
b) Requires less area than a POS on ground.
c) Is (almost) always located at the front of dwelling, owing to neighbours privacy requirements
c) Works with council's concern of not being located in the front yard.

I had balcony as a back up plan when doing my subdivision, but never needed it. Your building designer should be able to incorporate it, and you will have additional 36 sqm for use inside the dwelling.

Good Luck

Back