South Hedland land ballot

most of the ones I see or know come in a container
so transport is not a major issue
I the one I deal with are shipped from china to aust specs
they are pre fab but not transportables they are fixed houses
price is about 75% of normal build cost but time is 7 days from slab to move in

I think I know the houses you are talking about, if it's the same ones I'm thinking of I saw on TV awhile back :) The pre fab houses here cost the same as the site built ones, I'm not sure if there's a real reason or whether it's just opportunistic practices (probably a little of both...) I think there'd be a good market for something quick that costs less...out of curiosity what are the duty costs of brining a house in to Australia?

we pay assembled
need slab, water, gas, electric, drainage
no idea their costs
and no interest
our price is our price and thats it for me.
we get a package price and inc"s
we just need to fund
land 4br 2 bath with 5 year contract at 2k per week
that will do me what their cost are up to them
10% down happy
no ballot
and no I am not an agent for the deals
but yes most here will know I pool people to buy so we buy in a group and buy a 30/ 50/ 200 land subdivision and the builder builds for us group lot

theres plenty of pre fab builders here, but they're not cheap...labour and cost
of transport make it not so attractive.

i'll be bringing mine in from Thailand - $140k landed. the product is the same across the whole of asia but it's your sizing that makes it feasible and how it's transported.

everyone goes to china or thailand for these pre-fab homes that come in shipping containers. great - now i have to pay aussie labour to unpack and assemble the damn thing - bugger that.

i use standard hi-cube shipping container dimensions, 4x 40ft modules in 2 storey setup for a total 120sqm living. can add carports, alfresco, whatever - all in shipping container sizes.

best bit - they ain't shipping containers.

works awesome. got preliminary prices now but it's a product that's not for all markets. would be great for PH/Karr/Broome but anywhere else it just wouldn't fit in.

only needs 9x pad footings to be installed on site, or even better, 9x screw piles. uses spoon drains for drainage and just needs the standard gas/power/water hookup.

stupid easy.

I think there'd be a good market for something quick that costs less...out of curiosity what are the duty costs of brining a house in to Australia?

duty is interesting. as it's fully assembled, last time i checked it was GST + 15% duty on the contruction price contract.

there's talk of breaking it down further but to be honest how do you possibly police it / check it ?

shipping is the slaughter though. if it's not in a container, you have to wait fo r a boat that's full, lay the thing on top and hope and pray it gets here okay.

using container dimensions, you know it can be stacked wherever, whenever and it'll make it here in one piece.

Image_---_Port_Headland_01.jpg

Image_---_Port_Headland_04.jpg

Image_---_Port_Headland_02.jpgcan't attach the picks will email to aaron and he maybe able to attach or if anyone wants to see the picks they are meg each and wil send them to see what this one design looks like
am going to get the current turn key price for port headland.

Last edited:
GR - they're good looking homes but they don't come like that, do they? they have to be assembled....?

considering you can't even get someone out to mow your lawn in the Kimberley i highly doubt you will be able to assemble these on site without shipping a Perth/NZ/Irish crew out there to live in a temporary on-site bunk donga while they work.

have a look through the photo albums for 'kph' on this site.

the designs you posted also don't look as though they are well suited for the Kimberley, as the box gutter in the middle would flood for starters.

the are put together with a team but they are brought in as a group and these are rapid build housing so they are in and out
as for the gutters thats a sample photo there is a whole range of designs and they are for different areas
they are not for a one of purchase would be to expo but for 50 or 100 houses I think would be fine
as for the dongs no the team comes in rv's

First Home Owners?

Can someone clarify for me....

We are interested in going in the South Hedland ballot as first home buyers.

We have an investment property in another state that we have never lived in (purchased AFTER July 2000) and as such we are eligible for the FHOG. In my mind we are first home buyers.

Have been advised by real estate running the ballot that we are NOT first home buyers, despite being eligble for the FHOG and never having lived in our investment ppty. Does this sound right??

Would love a second opinion, thanks!

Can someone clarify for me....

We are interested in going in the South Hedland ballot as first home buyers.

We have an investment property in another state that we have never lived in (purchased AFTER July 2000) and as such we are eligible for the FHOG. In my mind we are first home buyers.

Have been advised by real estate running the ballot that we are NOT first home buyers, despite being eligble for the FHOG and never having lived in our investment ppty. Does this sound right??

Would love a second opinion, thanks!

In terms of this ballot the RE was correct (although in general terms you are correct) it goes like this:
There are 2 tiers in which preferences will be given - 1st preference is for FHO who will also be Owner Occupiers or those who may not be FHO but will be owner occupiers (the operative here is you must be an owner occupier), 2nd preference (provided there are blocks left) will be given to everyone else eg investors / those not wishing to live in the property they build.

It's worth noting that once you buy the block landcorp puts a Caveat on the title and its up to you to prove you have satisfied the requirements you sign on in the contract ... of course how they would enforce this if you build a house then decide to turn around and sell I dont know...?

Thanks but I am still a little confused...we want to live in it, and we are first home buyers....therefore should be in the first preference group?

My interpretation was that first home buyers get preference OVER owner occupiers....then investors make up the 3rd and last preference....

Yes that is right, we have a property interstate but purely for investment - we have never lived in it.

FHOG Act 2000:
• Applicants and/or their spouse* must not have previously owned residential property, anywhere in Australia, prior to 1 July 2000.
• Applicants and/or their spouse* must not have previously purchased and occupied residentialproperty, anywhere in Australia, as a place of residence on or after 1 July 2000.
(This is straight from the First Home Owner Grant Act 2000)

We have never lived in our property, and it was purchased after July 2000 and are therefore eligible for the FHOG.

My query was that if we are recognised as FHO by the government as eligible for the FHOG, why are we not able to enter the ballot as FHO? We are wanting to enter the ballot as first home buyers and live in this new property as our Principle PLace of Residence.

Back