South Lakes WA, First development

Hi all,

I Thought i would share the story of my first development. I've had a lot of help and good advise from people on SS. Hopefully i can return the favor.

The projects is nearing completion, about 4 weeks away from practical completion and getting ready to rent out.
So its our first property purchase and the project was a retain and build.
The front one is our PPOR and the back one being built is going to be a rental.

Purchase Price 418,000 (425,000 - 7,000 FHOG)
Stamp duty - Nil
Legals - 1200
Subdivison - 30,000 (includes Western Power, Watercorp, Surveyor etc)
Renovations to front house - 15,800
Construction costs - 260,000
Holding costs for construction loan - 5000
Total costs - 730,000

PPOR 470,000
IP1 530,000
Total value - 1,000,000

Total equity - 270,000

Decision to get into property -
-----------------------------------
I moved over from NZ to Perth as soon as I completed my Electrical trade, my aim was to work away in the mines to earn a good income and save for investing. I wasn't sure what sort of investment path I would take but property was the most likely as I knew more people that have had success through property than other forms of investing. I had been in the mines for about a year and with the money I already had, I managed to save up enough for a 20% deposit on the property I eventually brought.
I was lucky enough to have a workmate who was a builder and has completed several development projects. He helped get motivated and steered me down the right path (originally I was more focused on researching apartments or units to do small renos and higher yields).

Everything happened pretty quickly with the property we brought. I found a few property's that might suit but I was always away at work, and missed out on a couple. We ended up finding one in August 2012 in South Lakes, Perth. The property was a large block up for auction by the bank, mortgagee sale. The property was large enough to retain the front and build at the back.

Auction day
--------------------
It was my week off from work I got back Monday to inspect the property and the auction was that weekend. I didn't know where to start and anything about subdivisions but I got in touch with a surveyour and they told me yes it was possible and also to go speak with the local council as the planners there can help you with pretty much everything.
So before the auction finance was approved and due dilligence was done on development potential.
Auction day I was pretty nervous but with excitement at the same time. I had a max of 475k that I was prepared to pay. I had not crunched any numbers or spoken to any local agents about pricing, something I now know the importance of. There were about 5 interested parties at the auction. The agent knew I was keen, he told me 2 families were after it and the rest were investors. The auction started off at the low 300s and moved up in about 20k jumps till it got to 400. There was 1 family left that look like they were prepared to keep going. I was sitting there at the front on the phone with my workmate so he could listen in, He told me to wait till the end and then start bedding strong and fast. I jumped in at the last moment and we started going up in $1,000 dollar bids after 400k. This carried on until they were taking longer and longer to bid and I finally secured the property at 425k! It was a great feeling and I got it for a bargin of a price considering I was prepard to pay 475. It was right at the start of the Perth market heating up and I think good luck and good timing was the only reasons I got it for that price.

Subdivision Process
---------------------------
There are a couple of options when doing a strata on your property in Perth (correct me if I'm wrong) one is Built Strata which allows the build to take place the same time as the subdivision process is happening which saves a lot of time and costs. You need capital behind you to take that path which i didn't have at the time so i took the option of Survey Strata, this means applying for subdivision first and then construction takes place after. Once our property was subdivided i was able to approach the bank and get then to revalue the original house on the smaller land component and the new lot that was created.
The whole process took about 8 months but can be done in about 5-6 if you know what your doing. The Perth market was starting to pick up momentum at this stage i was lucky to get valuations of 425,000 for the front house ( less 550sqm ) and 250,000 for the new lot created. This allowed me to fund the build.
The whole subdivision process is pretty straight forward. i engaged a surveyor and they took care of most of the work and answered all of my stupid questions for me :) for a basic retain and build project back in 2012/2013 it cost me approx 30,000k which included Headworks costs from Watercorp, Westernpower fees, WAPC + Council fees and contributions, and the surveyor costs.
The council have requirements like site needs to be cleared, fenced etc before titles can be issued and i was able to save money by doing a lot of this work myself, extra costs of 20,000 may have been added on if i was to pay someone to do it for me.

vblairv.jpg
[/url]
image hosting 10mb limit[/IMG]

Sounds awesome Blair! Well done mate.

Can you give is any more details on the IP that you built.. size, bedrooms, level of finish etc.

Thanks

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing :)

You played it quite cool during the auction. I would have been shaking, based on my heart rate during eBay auctions :D

plansss.jpg
[/url]
jpg images[/IMG]

Here are the plans, i'd like to hear peoples feedbacks on weather i could have saved a bit of money on the design or anythings that could have been changed.

South Lake is a family neighborhood so 4 bedrooms is good and i think the media room is a nice added extra that sets it apart from most of the older homes in the area. Its a shame though that the block size is small and theres no back yard.

Like the numbers
Thanks for sharing, good for you.

MTR:)

Great figures, $270k equity gain. Reasonable costs. NET WIN

Well done :)

Yip the numbers ended up pretty good and has helped me move towards my second project. I think i was pretty lucky though considering i was prepared to pay 475 an picked it up for 425, plus that fact that Perth has seen some pretty good growth in recent years. I think people need a bit of luck to help them get started though because you can only read so much but actually getting out there and doing it gives you the experience you need to invest successfully.

How much do you think the properties values increased during the development? You mentioned growth so your original figures for end value were likely lower?

How much do you think the properties values increased during the development? You mentioned growth so your original figures for end value were likely lower?

I was expecting end values to be 400,000 for our PPOR and 450,000 for the back one. which would have meant an equity gain of 120,000. So things went well in that respect, but to be honest i would have been happy with a profit of 120,000k
My new project I'm doing in melbourne will be costing me around 1,180,000 and end values should be around 1,400,000. %wise its not as good as what some of the experienced developers achieve but i have learnt so much from these 2 projects and feel ready to take on a 3rd development mid next year that will have good profit/low risk.

The build.
--------------------

The build has taken a long time to complete. I still have about 4weeks to go until practical completion and then I will be sorting out painting, flooring, and landscaping myself. So realistically it's about 6-8weeks away from renting. Originally slab was due down Nov 2013, it then got pushed out to Jan 2014 and was supposed to take 6 months to complete, 10 years later it's still being built :) :) delays have been mostly due to bricky shortages in Perth and roof carpenters having to postpone due to weather conditions. I think i got stuck with a new building supervisor aswell, one of his first jobs. He hasn't managed to get a good flow of trades coming through and there have often been days with no one on site.
It hasn't affected me too much as delays were mostly when holding costs were low, its been more of an opportunity cost.
Plans were just slapped together by one of the big building companies and I didn't really know any better. An important lesson for new developers is to make sure you get the design/specs right for the market you are targeting, and also that is designed efficiently to keep building costs down.

plansss.jpg
[/url]
jpg images[/IMG]

Here are the plans, i'd like to hear peoples feedbacks on weather i could have saved a bit of money on the design or anythings that could have been changed.

South Lake is a family neighborhood so 4 bedrooms is good and i think the media room is a nice added extra that sets it apart from most of the older homes in the area. Its a shame though that the block size is small and theres no back yard.

I think it's a very economical shape.

I probably would have tried to move Bed 1 and that side of the house a little closer to the reversing bay to free up some more backgarden but it wouldn't have gained much.

I would put grass all down the RHS area so it's family friendly and they can put a swing set etc along that side.

Blair, Im a little surprised with the end value of your IP1, more so of its location.

Can you please provide a break down of its attributes, size & fit out?

Any recent comparative sales histories etc?

I think it's a very economical shape.

I probably would have tried to move Bed 1 and that side of the house a little closer to the reversing bay to free up some more backgarden but it wouldn't have gained much.

I would put grass all down the RHS area so it's family friendly and they can put a swing set etc along that side.

Cheers Myf, Yep i had some designs from another builder that were going to use that area as the alfresco with a wall blocking views from up the driveway. next time I'm back in Perth ill try find the plans and post them up.
Yep i don't want to much gardens anyway to keep it maintenance free so all that right side will be grass to open it up a bit.

Blair, Im a little surprised with the end value of your IP1, more so of its location.

Can you please provide a break down of its attributes, size & fit out?

Any recent comparative sales histories etc?

Hey Rick. Property is 4x2 on 555sqm Built around 1987-90. 2 Large living rooms. Its got new carpet and tiling throughout. New curtains. Downlights installed in all rooms and Powerpoints/Switches changed over to give it a more modern feel. The kitchen is original but have repainted the cabinetry and put new handles on etc to make it look nicer. Bathrooms have had a bit of a clean up but no renovations done on them.

Most block sizes are around 750sqm in South Lake so I've lost a bit of value there but agents have told me they have sold run down 3x2's on 750sqm blocks for 455-470,000 and well maintained, renovated 4x2s built around the same time on 750sqm blocks can fetch up to 500,000

Even if the front house was to go for 460,000 i still think i could get 540,000 for the back house keeping it at 1mil.

Your around the corner in Atwell and used to live in South lake i think you once mentioned to me? do you think that value is not realistic? Im on the south side of berrigan and close to the new houses that are around that area and I'm also far enough away from the power lines that run through the suburb.

Speaking of South lake i also think its a area with good potential. MTR has mentioned that some of here purchases a bit north of South lake have been doing well (Kardinya, Willagee, Cooby) due to the new Hospital and Murdoch uni being close by. I also think South lake has caught a bit of this growth and theres heaps of development going on by the Cockburn train station and gateway shopping center that are starting to gentrify the area.

I like this a lot. Cant go wrong with a 5 in front of the lot size with a 4x2+media.

Whoever you were listening to was right - this product is perfect for this area.

Back