SPAM

Hello
Is anyone else getting emails along the lines of "need your opinion on this" with a small file attached.
Alot of these people have "investmentinstitute" in their email addresses, I use lotus notes, is there anyway to block certain email from within this program. Is this why a lot of people do not advertise their email address.
Regards Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Adam

It is a virus. It is sent without the senders knowledge. I understand that the virus selects a fie at random and sends it to people in the address book. Optus has been flooded with the virus. Just delete it.

GoAnna !
Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is. (Mark Twain)

RE: SPAM or Virus?

Reply: 2

Adam,

There is a seriously dangerous virus floating around. I have received
several emails of late from various sources which contained it.

The subject line is usually the name of a document that is stored in the
senders My Documents folder. The email content asks for your opinion on
something contained in an attachment. Once opened, you're
stuffed...unless you have the LATEST anti-virus system looking after
you. I've been told the virus will send itself out to not only all the
people on your contact list, but also to email address's that were in
the B.C field of any emails sent or received by the recipient.

It's not SPAM...senders have no idea their PC is shooting out virus
emails. Delete it.

Cheers,

Dave
:)

p.s The name of the virus, or worm, is W32.Sircam.Worm@mm

Reply: 3

Unfortunately, one of our computers got a virus called SirCam. As has been said, it started sending out emails without us even knowing about it.

It was removed using Vet antivirus software, and will not happen again. It certainly highlighted to us the importance of everyone using this type of virus protection.

For anyone who received an email from us during the weekend or Monday, we apologise. It certainly was not spamming, and we had absolutely no control over it.

Nigel Kibel
The Investment Institute

Virus Alert

Reply: 3.1

Hi Nigel

You say the weekend or Monday, um, I still was receiving the virus via email late yesterday (Tuesday) from Jon McKenney's email address.

It still may be around in your system you'd might just want to do a recheck.

Cheers
Robert

Virus Alert

Reply: 3.1.1

HI Michael, how was the snow?

I can honestly say, I haven't received that much spam, maybe 1 or 2...and thats about it, and really, its just like junk mail, i like to have a bit of a look thru my junk mail, and then I toss it, keeps me up on the world around me believe it or not.

TW
~Life is a daring adventure, or nothing at all~

RE: Virus Alert

Reply: 3.1.1.1

Hi Michael

You mean the business model of targeted email SPAM is interesting?

Dave
:)

Reply: 3.1.1.1.1

Trick question Mike?

Let me see..I think they'd be worth a lot!

Good point.

Reply: 3.1.1.1.1.1

Hi all,

This is indeed a virus, and apparently some of us have caught it...

I am now getting emails from other forum users with this virus.

May I humbly suggest that everyone who uses the forum please check their machines, and, since I believe this is very hard to detect, please be kind enough to notify anyone from whom you receive a virus-loaded email, and ask them to 'immunise' their system.

Hopefully we can stop this in it's tracks...

Asyral.

(PS: if anyone gets one from me please let me know, I've checked my system, and don't "Appear" to have it, but one never knows...)

Reply: 3.1.1.1.1.1.1

My opinions:

1. anyone who uses Microsoft Outlook as an email client IS A FOOL

2. Anyone who is connected to the internet and does not have an antivirus program installed that features regular virus definition updates IS A FOOL

3. Anyone who does not use an antivirus program such as Norton Antivirus that support automatic scanning of emails as they are downloaded should go out and buy one immediately. It will save you endless grief in the long term.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Virus Alert

Reply: 3.1.2

If you are upset by spam and still have an internet email account then you are in for endless grief... get over it. Everywhere you go on the net you leave a trail that can identify who you are and what you have done and in many cases how to spam you.

I have had my email address for about 8 years now. My email program has really good filtering system that I have set up to automatically delete obvious spam mail (there is a pattern to them). Other not-so-obvious spam that I receive regularly I create manual filters for, but that still leaves around 10-15 emails per day that are nothing but spam.

So what ? I know how to use the delete key.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Virus Alert

Reply: 3.1.2.1

I generally report all the spam e-mail to the spamcop so that they send a full report to the ISP of the offender.

Don't know if it does any good, but at least I feel as though I have made a contribution of upsetting people who have no regard to people's privacy.

If anyone else is interested, the address is http://spamcop.net/

Regards
Grant

Back