Speed fine - anyone experienced it?

Hi,

I could not find any other forum talking about speed fine. I am sorry to put it here.

I got a speed fine by an unmarked car (probably has radar mounted in it). I was not aware I was speeding. After passing a small intersection (after 2km where was supposed I sped), they put the siren on and stopped me and told me I did 102km in 70km - 700$ + 5points.

I really want to challenge it.

Do anyone have experience in challenging the police? what the consequence?

Many thanks.

Speed fine - anyone experienced it?
lol, lost count...

You need to find out the method they used to determine your speed first.
It should be on the ticket.
You can then challenge the method used if you think it's incorrect.

And they were more than likely checking out your rego & details while driving behind you before stopping you.

with speeding fines it's usually very hard to successfully challenge it

there is a company on the net which provides help doing it

i have challenged successfully a fine for bald tyres
the copper didn't measure them at the time, he just poked it with his finger and said they are bald. they were just on the edge of being legal, so i wrote them letter demanding to withdraw the ticket. they refused and we went to court. i phoned the prosecutor few days before the hearing, told him the story and said that i still have the tyres in my garage and will be more than happy to bring them to court so he can measure it there. he spoke to the copper who issued the ticket, then called me back and said not to worry, they were dropping it.

ipswich cops suck!

Ive had my fair share of speeding tickets , non for 32kh over the speed limit though.
If you have been done by an unmarked car , it would be by a mounted radar most likely , but they would also have looked at their speedo - hard to argue that both are faulty.

Hard to believe you didnt know you were speeding doing 102 in a 70 , but good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Credit background wont change if you fight it , you may just be fined a little more to cover court costs

Ive had my fair share of speeding tickets , non for 32kh over the speed limit though.
If you have been done by an unmarked car , it would be by a mounted radar most likely , but they would also have looked at their speedo - hard to argue that both are faulty.

Hard to believe you didnt know you were speeding doing 102 in a 70 , but good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Credit background wont change if you fight it , you may just be fined a little more to cover court costs

I am really not sure. It was a dual carriageway not much traffic. They signaled me to stop after an intersection (about 1.5km from where they said I did). They should have tried to stop me immediately when they detect me. How much is a court cost about? few 100s?

I'm guessing that first statement means you know you definitely weren't speeding? Otherwise you wouldn't want to challenge it?

I can not yes or no. I was not sure I was speeding because of low traffic over about 2km section road. My point of challenge would be they should have stopped me when I offended. When they signaled me to stop, which was after an intersection about 50m, I was about 50km/h.

There is no rule that says Police have to stop you within a certain distance of the offence. As soon as practicable would be the rule and that can be easily argued They could argue it was unsafe to do so. I don't really think you have much chance of getting off but that is one heck of a fine plus 5 demerits. Ouch.

but that is one heck of a fine plus 5 demerits. Ouch.

You think so? 32km is a lot, if he had hit someone we'd all be complaining that laws weren't tough enough on speeding/dangerous drivers. Of course if you weren't doing 32km over then that's a different issue. If you were, then I'm sorry I have no sympathy for you. Be glad you don't lose your license, my friend had his suspended for a few months for doing more than 30km over. Again, I had no sympathy for him either! :p

Reactions: BV
A discrepency of 32 kph (102 in a 70 zone) would be very hard to defend I'd say.

A lot of the problem of not being aware you are speeding can be attributed to the type of car you drive, and the type of surroundings you are in.

Driving in built-up areas seems to accentuate your speed, while the same speed on open country roads seems slower.

Basically, the more modern, quieter cars and especially the bigger ones, will "hide" the speed a lot more so you don't realise what speed you are doing.

So, put together a late model, high off the ground 4WD and a relatively open road, and doing 100km's seems like about 60km's.

Mate, no point in challenging it. You were speeding, you got caught. Simple.

Best to pay the fine and just don't speed anymore.

32km is a lot, if he had hit someone we'd all be complaining that laws weren't tough enough on speeding/dangerous drivers.
I agree, speeders get no sympathy from me either and not because I don't speed myself, I do but by not much over the limit and never in residential areas. Those limits are low for a reason....

32km is a lot
Depends. I know a (short) stretch of road with a 60 kph limit where 100-110 kph is generally perfectly safe. Only the speed limit is unreasonable there.

It's a mistake to associate "speed limit" with "speeding" (in the sense of excessive speed) and "dangerous driving". Speed limits are mostly meaningless and irrelevant, an attempt to massively dumb down a lot of complex and dynamic variables and interactions - the motoring equivalent of brain surgery for dummies. Gives you a very basic idea, but not something that's of any use in the real world.

In terms of getting off the fine though, I agree with those who say it's going to be very hard to defend that much over the limit. You're battling a system that's specifically been set up to prevent as many challenges as possible.

GP

was there traffic passing you in the opposite direction?

were they behind you? they too were doing 102kph - or more - to catch you?

how was the radar calibrated if there were cars passing you and they were traveling at a safe distance?

all information they need to front if requested. they may have been low on quota for the week.

I can not yes or no. I was not sure I was speeding because of low traffic over about 2km section road. My point of challenge would be they should have stopped me when I offended. When they signaled me to stop, which was after an intersection about 50m, I was about 50km/h.

If that's your argument, then forget about trying to fight it in court. As Pushka said, they don't have to pull you over immediately, especially if it wasn't practicable or safe to do so at the time.

For example I was driving on the left lane next to an unmarked police car. The car in front of him ran the red light, the officer and I both stopped. There was another set of lights only 100m on, but the offending car wasn't stopped by it so kept driving. By the time the police car and I got going again it was another 500m down the road and the car was turning off into another street, the cop car followed him around, then would have pulled him over, but still not for a while as it was a single lane road unsafe to stop on at that point. So he would have puller her over by my guess at about 1.5km or so and around 2-3mins after the red light violation.

Same happened with my last speeding fine. Laser gun on side of the road, caught me, cop pulled out, followed me for another 700m before pulling me over as we were on a sloping down road, it was 6:30am - still dark, raining and approaching an intersection. Pulling me over on the spot would have put both his and my life in danger under those conditions. But I was speeding, I know it, so copped it sweet.

Changing the topic, and possibly introducing a contentious issue, I would also like to see minimum speed limits imposed - especially on highways.

I do a lot of travelling on country highways which are single laned roads that have speed limits of either 100km or 110km/h. There is nothing worse then coming around a bend, happily sitting on 115km/h on a single laned highway and getting stuck by someone sitting on about 70-80 km/h. This leads to frustration and therefore endangers people as drivers get frustrated and take risks to overtake this slow person.

One example i had only 2 weeks ago - i was happily coming outside of Cowra NSW and then around a bend on a single laned highway and i had to slam the brakes on because of the line up of cars in front of me who were down to 50 km/h on a highway. There was about 5 cars in front of me and we were all stuck, on a windy road and behind some guy on a motorbike with a dog behind him doing 50 km/h. I saw cars overttaking this guy on double yellow lined roads - just to get around him.

They have similar laws in Europe and in parts of Asia - then why can't we. But one problem would be the caravans, the cockies in their tractors, the haybale trucks etc. They are unable to safely sit at 100 km/h but their slowness on highways is a danger.

So what can we do? I cannot see the governments building slow lanes on the single laned highways for such vehicles and the road laws do have to allow for the lowest comon demoninator - ie the cars that cannot safely do 100 km/h. But it is an issue - and i would safely bet that slow cars cause many accidents by frustrated drivers who just want to get around them.

Thoughts anyone.....

Thanks

g

Depends. I know a (short) stretch of road with a 60 kph limit where 100-110 kph is generally perfectly safe. Only the speed limit is unreasonable there.
How short is short? 200m? driving 40km/hr over the limit just saved you 5 seconds.. good on you mate.

Speed limits are mostly meaningless and irrelevant, an attempt to massively dumb down a lot of complex and dynamic variables and interactions
So what do you suggest? That the 17yr old girl driving down your street (who is thinking about what colour to paint her nails) be expected to compute these complex and dynamic variables in her head? That’s great if you comprehend these variables and can apply them to roads you’ve never driven on, in the dark and rain.. how about the other 99.9% of the population?

Why is it so hard to obey the road rules and respect other’s well being????

Back