Spelling!!!

Apparently skipping the crawling stage causes learning problems :confused:.

the theory is that crawling helps the 2 sides of the brain to communicate, because you are doing alternating actions with the 2 sides of the body. I'm not sure that there is any solid research linking learning problems to crawling, But crawling does help develop coordination and perceptual skills (depth perception etc), as well as encouraging exploration

One of the major reasons babies dont crawl is because they dont have tummy time as babies. Parents these days often "set" their babies into a seated position, rather than on their back or tummy. babies often cry when they are on their tummy, and alot of parents dont continue it.

Trampolining is really effective to overcome coordinaton issues, and particularly doing other tasks during jumping (catching and throwing a ball).

But back to spelling... I had a colleague who used to write "no" instead of "know"..it was a challenge to work out what he was supposed to be saying.

I still feel a bit cranky about my 1st grade teacher who announced to the class that I couldnt spell my name. My family wrote "Pene" (like Penelope Cruz does), but she said it should be "penny". I was so embarrassed that I changed the spelling. Grrrr...some teachers have no idea!

I'm really good at spelling when I'm writing.... but I find it hard to spell out loud. So, I'd be no good at a spelling bee!

Interesting stuff.

The exercises this guy teaches are to train the brain to function more effectively after testing and diagnosing where the specific issues lay.

2 examples were, writing and singing at the same time (teaches focus amid distraction), and following a swinging ball that's attached to string with your eyes (to improve eye tracking - optometrists have written execises for the same problem).

They were the only 2 I remember, but there were many more.

As someone who is dyslexic to some degree when writing I rely heavily on a spell checker and double reading to catch the front to back typo's/misplaced words.

However I agree many people are becoming too reliant on spell check and ignoring their grammar. English has some weird rules but some of the mix ups I've seen are just weird.

One I have seen a lot recently is "patients" and "patience" being mixed up.

I think the author of the article (property expert), better go and get some good lessons in literature and touch up on his vocabulary.

Take a read of the article.

F

oh my!! that is amazing. I was thinking it would be good for kids to use in grammar classes.

although the grammar isnt so bad, I particularly liked
Settling down in one location and starting your own family members is usually areason why one would would like to obtain his or her own dwelling........ I liked the idea of starting family members... are they wind up dolls?

Great thread.

I noticed this one recently. Emphasis is mine.

Not once, but twice! Makes such a nice impression on potential tenants.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-dandenong-109338226?rsf=emailalert-propdetails

Investors Or Astute Home Buyers Take Note
One of four units in the block, comprises of two good size bedrooms with double build in wardrobes, has an open plan kitchen/dining and leaving area, single garage, a nice court yard with garden shed, separate toilet and a combine bathroom and laundry room, floor boards to leaving areas and bedrooms, tiles to wet areas, great looking terracotta roof tiles, located just a few steps from bus stop, Dandenong train station is just within walking distance, vendor is willing to rent the property back for 6 mths after settlement, or if you wanted it with vacant possession it is also available.

I am just browsing some property pages online and came across this.

After reading the OP's thread this avo, thought I would tag it.

It really doesn't bode well for the website?

http://www.thepropertyinvestment.co...+Blog+-+Australian+Investment+Property+Guide)

I think the author of the article (property expert), better go and get some good lessons in literature and touch up on his vocabulary.

Take a read of the article.

F

Clearly written by a non-English speaker trying to translate literally from their mother tongue. The structure and choice of words are typical of a newly arrived person from a non-European background (probably Chinese).

I used to write like that many years ago.

Not good enough though for a site claiming to be “Australia’s leading property investment blog”.

Yep, I can see the 'mother tongue' scenario kicking in.

But clearly, if the page / website is marketed for an Australian audience, then it should be up to scratch.

Unfortunately, this is how to lose visitors to a website. It is one I won't be going back to.

For a small fee, I would be quite happy to be a proofreader for his content!:)

F

My pet hate...anthropomorphism in real estate advertisements.

Real estate agents in Darwin are especially adept at this.

"Caring house for sale"

"Kind and gentle house"

"Loving property"

And the usual "Highly sort after location"

"Caring house for sale"

"Kind and gentle house"

"Loving property"

Once had an agent tell me it was a "honest" house. I said I had never met a dishonest house so I wouldn't know the difference.

"Caring house for sale"

"Kind and gentle house"

"Loving property"

When I read something described as "homely".
I suppose here it means cozy and inviting.

In Canada, it means ugly.

Clearly written by a non-English speaker trying to translate literally from their mother tongue. The structure and choice of words are typical of a newly arrived person from a non-European background (probably Chinese).
From where I sit it looks like it has been rewritten from another source *by* a non-English speaker. I'm a member of another forum that has a lot of people on it that write made for adsense websites (and sadly that site looks a lot like one) and they pay people very small amounts to write or rewrite other articles enough that they get through a copyright violation checker.

There are automated programs that will rewrite articles for you and they result in even more mangled text then that one. Personally I hate the whole content spinning industry, it drags down the quality of the internet at large, but it is a surprisingly large industry.

To be honest, I've never really understood the importance of spelling. IMO, the purpose of language is to convey meaning. If we can understand the meaning, does the spelling matter? The correct ways to spell words are just things that somebody made up. Who decided that, in some instances, sought was a better spelling than sort? Or saut? Or sawt? Is "sought", with its silent g and h really a good way to spell that word?

On a different note, my dad is barely literate and his spelling absolutely cracks me up. He speaks with a strong Italian accent, and just spells things the way he says them. So for example, my name is Cathy, he says it Ke-ti and actually spells it Keti. :eek:

Back