Spewing about THAT post below

HELP!!!!! What is that thing on the post? How and Where?? I've done a virus scan with two different programs and nothing. Any ideas??
What is it and why /how is it attributed to me. Also it is embarrassing. Can I delete it or is that up to webcentral??

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

G'day Gee Vee,

The Webmaster will be able to delete it - why not send him an email.

And, yes it's embarrassing, but I think we all know it really isn't you doing this. A previous poster has already been thru this self-same drama (and her virus scan also turned up nothing....)

Unfortunately, I can only delete posts from "Caveat Emptor", but not the other forums, otherwise I'd be happy to oblige (as all of us would, I'm sure ...)

Regards,

Les

- "Eschew Obfuscation" - ;^)

Reply: 1.1

Hi Gee Jay,

These kinds of viri send themselves around automatically as soon as the infected file is viewed by its recipient. You have no control over its menacing behaviour unless you have an updated virus scanner which actually catches the virus in its act. ie. as soon as the email is viewed, or in this case, when the link is clicked on.

This particular virus is called:
"Exploit-MIME.gen"

http://hq.mcafeeasap.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99273

Gail: There is a patch and instructions on how to clean up your machine there too.

Good Luck!!

Best Regards,

Loz

Reply: 2

Anyone is able to delete or edit their own posts. Just select delete!

GoAnna !
"To the man who only has a hammer in the toolkit, every problem looks like a nail."
-Abraham Maslow

Reply: 2.1

Hey! Thanks everybody for the advice and assistance.
I've just deleted the post and am now getting some repair done on the virus.
Hope it doesnt happen again.

Reply: 3

Gee Jay,

Several types of internet worm around at the moment contain their own SMTP mail server engine - so they can send their own emails without relying on your email program (like Outlook).

They also perform what is known as address spoofing, where they randomly select an email address on the machine they have infected, and send out emails which look like they have come from this OTHER email address.

This is most likely has happened to you (and it probably is what happened to Kristine a couple of weeks back)... somebody else (and I have no idea who) got infected with one of these worms, and that person had your email address in a file somewhere on their computer (this could even just be in the temporary internet files directory as a cached version of a web page (like the forum) that had your email address on it.

Then the worm creates an email and sends it out to other addresses at random that it finds and makes it look like it came from YOU, even though it didn't. This of course makes it really difficult to track down who actually has the virus infection.

I suspect the posts to the forum are coming from emails sent to the forum mail server which say that they are coming from a user who has set up the email interface to the forum. So long as the forum mail server thinks the message has a valid email address, it will post it - even though it may not have originated from you.

I think that WebCentral maybe needs to install an SMTP virus scanner on it's network to prevent these types of messages getting through.

This is all just guesswork... unfortunately without access to the WebCentral system, it is almost impossible to tell what is actually causing this stuff.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 3.1

Thanks for your explanation on this one Sim.
Sound reasonable enough.
A friend was telling me that her system has been hacked and she does keep everyones email addresses on the computer.
I hope that not too many get affected/infected and am sorry to anyone who had trouble.
GJ

Reply: 3.1.1

If I click on one of the topics on the forum and read it, can my computer get this (or any other) virus?
gunna

Back