Split system air conditioner

Just received a quote for purchase a 2.5kw split system appliance and installation for $2500 total. Since the appliance costs under 1K this seems pricey.

Anyone with a recent system installed who could share the instillation cost?

Thanks

Scott

It could be that the guy is too busy and not interested or he'll use a subbie to do the work and he'll still make a nice profit...:eek:

I guess the summer season doesn't help.

I usually pay $500 for back to back installation plus power
and they charge extra if it's a long pipe run.

Last edited:
It could be that the guy is too busy and not interested or he'll use a subbie to do the work and he'll still make a nice profit...:eek:

I guess the summer season doesn't help.

I usually pay $500 for back to back installation plus power and they charge extra if it's a long pipe run.

My brother recently got a Fujitsu split installed for around the early $2k mark. Was a 5 or thereabouts kw air cond.

Just received a quote for purchase a 2.5kw split system appliance and installation for $2500 total. Since the appliance costs under 1K this seems pricey.
Yes, it is.

I got a quote (for 20 air-cons) some years ago for $22K. I said "no thanks, I'll buy them for $400 each online, pay my electrician $400 each to install them, and have the lot done for $16K". He immediately dropped the quote to $15K.

I think that, like roof restoration, air-con installation is one of those industries where the practise seems to be to quote high in the hope that there are enough suckers out there willing to pay inflated prices.

I had a Daikin 3.5kw system installed (back to back install) for $1800. This was in Oct just before the heat waves started.

Yes, it is.

I got a quote (for 20 air-cons) some years ago for $22K. I said "no thanks, I'll buy them for $400 each online, pay my electrician $400 each to install them, and have the lot done for $16K". He immediately dropped the quote to $15K.

Tradesmen are funny like that so you've got to shop around.

Before Xmas I hired a sparkie to do a job for me for $8K and had several other quotes but one sparkie had quoted me $45K.

After I questioned the amount of work he dropped his price to $25K
but seeing that he was trying to rip me off I wouldn't give him the job even if he was more competitive than the others

I hate such people

We bought a 3.5kw Delonghi split system and got it installed (back to back install) for $1030 (A/C $580. Installation $450) warranty for 5 years. Bought from Rick Hart Perth.

We picked up 2.5hp TCL / TLC brand chinese air con for about $600 (bit of guess, it was a while ago might have been $500) from an air con warehouse. Then paid about $500 to the air con installer and had to run power from the box on seperate circuit in conduit so pricy but that was only $400 electrician.

Used the same air con guy to install a second hand unit in an IP, cost about $500 to install. Electrician was about $250 to run from meter box, through ceiling and down the other way, straight across the width of the house.

Your quote sounds way too much, try a couple more quotes.

cheers
Graeme

Given its an IP, i would get the best A/C with the longest warranty (parts and labour) possible (hence the reason why i went with a Daiken with 5 year warranty).

You cant assume the tenant will take care of the A/C, its much safer to assume they will thrash the crap out of it.

So if you get a cheap on and the tenant either leaves it on 24/7 or turns it on and off consistently, therefore unless you know how to do the install yourself, it'll cost you more in the long run due to maintenance.

When the first heatwave hit Melbourne in November I decided that it would be a brutal Summer and went straight out and bought a Fijitsu 7.4kw split system (1kw does 10sqm), which with doors closed will cool our main living and bedroom and possibly the second bedroom.

The unit cost $1700 from the Good Guys and installation with base plate cost $800 incl GST, with a 10m run for the power and straight out the wall for the piping. (the only larger system available was 8kw and that was about $500 more expensive - not worth it IMHO).

So all up $2,500 installed during a heatwave.

I am very happy with it as it hit 45 degress the other day and the hottest night in 100 years in Melbourne. It struggled a bit during the day but was better then evaporative systems in houses I was in and during that night we had a great nights sleep, even had to turn it off as it was too cool.

cheers

RightValue

PS I only ever buy property with a view to make money so I normally won't spend a dollar that won't add a dollar in value. But this was an investment in our lifestyle!

Last edited:
1 x 2.6kw (1HP) & 1 x 3.5kw (1.5HP) Kelvinator inverters ... back to back installation ... $550 each all inclusive. Ensure that you ask for and get the electrical + plumbing certificates. You will need these if lodging a warranty claim after 1year of purchase (i.e. for units with 5 year warranty -- read the fine print).

just bought 2 7kw systems from harvey norman, and there installer is chargeing me $660, thats in albury but about same down here for back to back.

good luck

Back