split system brands - Actron, Fujitsu, Daikon

ive just had a quote for two split system air conditioning units in my PPOR. an 8kw downstairs and a 2.5kw in the master bedrooms. The quote gave me three brands, Daikon, Fujitsu and Actron. the actron being the cheapest and Daikon being most expensive with around $1000 being the difference between each brand. I know Daikon and Fujitsu but havent heard of Actron before the salesman gave them a pretty good pitch and being the cheapest of the quote im tempted to go with that one but just wondering if anyone has any experience with these brands?

I've had 2 Daikon split systems and had each for 5 years with no problems.

As a general comment though (just to confuse things), as long as the air con is maintained, many times the cheaper brands are just as good as the more expensive brands (we've had a no-name 'Chinese champion' chainsaw for 5 years and it's still going strong - it's cleaned and sharpened after each use and hasn't missed a beat).

Actron split systems are made to spec in China by Midea. No better or worse than most chinese models, they are generic splits. Actron ducted in australian made.

Daikin are good too but expensive for parts especially control boards. Avoid Fujitsu thier warranty is terrible and after sales parts prices exhorbitant.

For PPOR I would go Mitsubishi Electric, Daikin or Panasonic. Personally I use Mitsubishi Electric.

Actron split systems are made to spec in China by Midea. No better or worse than most chinese models, they are generic splits. Actron ducted in australian made.

Daikin are good too but expensive for parts especially control boards. Avoid Fujitsu thier warranty is terrible and after sales parts prices exhorbitant.

For PPOR I would go Mitsubishi Electric, Daikin or Panasonic. Personally I use Mitsubishi Electric.

thanks that helps a lot. we already have evaporative cooling but its no good in the hottest parts of summer so the splits are to complement the current cooling not be the primary cooling which is the other reason im leaning towards the cheaper option

Hmmm.... big difference between "daikon" and Daikin".... Daikon you can get at your local asian grocery for a few bucks.... I guess it can be cooling..... :D

The Y-man

I've never been a fan of fujitsu. My preference is daikin, though, I've been told that the design and parts for Panasonic and Daikin come out of the same factory and assembled at different factories.

This time around i opted for a Panasonic in one of my places over a daikin due to the price difference. I'm getting a 4.4kw Panasonic installed for $1,500, whereas the Daikin was $2,000.

Where the price difference was <$100, i opted for the daikin.

Other people may disagree and say put the cheapest you can in a rental. My view is that you should assume that a tenant will abuse the crap out of it, turn it on and off, run it a full blast in short periods. I want something that stand up to that (given 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of an air con is in the install.

hey tonka,

up here in NT we have a fujitsu seems to be quite good and it runs 24/7 but its a government house so i dont really care if it breaks down or not, we had one in the other house up here and it was leaking ad it ****ed the wall up so had to get a few guys up here to fix the splitie and the wall also, being remote NT things are really put to the test out here!!!!

Nick

p.s i had a mitsubishi electric in my first house it was brilliant!! highly recommend them

Check out warranty periods too, I know Fujitsu and Panasonic are both 5 years. might pay to look at what promotions companies are offering too, some of the cash back stuff is nice as you're invoiced for full amount but might get a prepaid visa for $200 or something.

The way I look at buying a split, with so much of the cost in the installation I just wouldn't go cheap. Would rather quality, with good support hands down.

Refrigeration mechanic for 25 + years. I would go the Panasonic for value for money they have a five year parts and labour warranty so you can't go wrong.

I have a (related) question. My new granny flat has no room (in the main living room) for a split system output unit, so thought I'd go ducted as this allows the outlets to go in the ceiling(s).

My 4x questions are:
1. How many outlets do I need for a 2 br granny flat (60 sq m). I'd imagine 3 or can I just have 1 outlet if lots cheaper?

2. I dont need it to have separate 'zones' as this will probably cost more for the control system and vales etc. Can I just have 1 zone? i.e. On or Off with Temp control.

3. How much more expensive is a ducted system vs a split system for this floor space. The living area is approx 30 sq m if just 1 outlet.

4. Can a split system be ducted? Ultimately, I just want the outlet(s) to be in the ceiling(s) and not the walls.

Thanks for any info from relevant pros!

Brazen.

If it's for your PPOR I would go for a quality unit every time. I think you need to look at the overall running cost and the cost of ownership.

In my last PPOR I purchased a more expensive split system inverter unit, which was not only much cheaper to run long term but it was super, super quiet. Could barely hear it. Never had a problem with it in 9 years.

What is people's thoughts on Kelvinator units?

I have used Kelvinator splits in a couple of IP's with no issues. They are chinese units and pretty generic of average quality.

At the same price point I would go the Actron splits over the kelvinators.

Back