Split system installation with damaged render

I asked for the certificate of compliance and he said he will provide me once I paid the bill. Is that standard procedure or do I have the right to receive it before hand?

He doesn't know what he is talking about - it's concrete. Must be a tilt up construction.

More so how could it be plaster board (gyprock) on the outside.

All up a very poor job, as already mentioned, conduit it missing at the outside unit and now the leak at the inside unit. Real backyard boy. How come the place you bought the unit through didn't recommend or organise the install?

Cheers

By the way can't see any drain tube from either the inside unit or the outside unit.

They did recommend someone but I thought it's too pricey.... What would you recommend me to do now? I've got him to come back on Friday to fix it up the leaking.

Wow this is a terrible job

When he comes back on Friday I would ask to see he's air conditioning license he should hold a full license or a restricted split system license, he should also hold a full electrical license. Also there would have been a warranty form with the air conditioner the installer has to put there arctick license number on this form for warranty to be valid. There is massive fines for doing refrigeration work un licensed and he would be aware of this.

I would ask him to put another length of duct over the pipes and electrical cables as it's against regulations for cables and pipes to be like that (don't no what he was thinking) also fix the leak which I think would be a loose drain pipe.

Sometimes it's best to spend a little more on installation
Hope this helps!

Wow this is a terrible job

When he comes back on Friday I would ask to see he's air conditioning license he should hold a full license or a restricted split system license, he should also hold a full electrical license. Also there would have been a warranty form with the air conditioner the installer has to put there arctick license number on this form for warranty to be valid. There is massive fines for doing refrigeration work un licensed and he would be aware of this.

I would ask him to put another length of duct over the pipes and electrical cables as it's against regulations for cables and pipes to be like that (don't no what he was thinking) also fix the leak which I think would be a loose drain pipe.

Sometimes it's best to spend a little more on installation
Hope this helps!

exactly right - he needs to supply the AC installation certificate and the electrical certificate for installation. If he doesn't just report him to the authorities. in victoria, it is the ESV that does the compliance and it is within 4 business days.

If you saw in melbourne, a docklands apartment building was on fire from a result of an air conditioner and stuff being put in the back of it. Either way they would be looking to the installer and the certs for that.

I have called another tradie and he told me I have the rights to ask for certificate and builder license before I pay or even if I don't pay. And he broke the law for not supplying the certificate to me within 4, 5 days. So, I have decided to find someone else to come and check it or even if have to re-do it. Do you guys think I can avoid paying him at all? Or do I have to pay half.....?

Also, if anyone has good guys to recommend for doing this kind of stuff? i.e. checking, installing, fixing...etc.?

I have called another tradie and he told me I have the rights to ask for certificate and builder license before I pay or even if I don't pay. And he broke the law for not supplying the certificate to me within 4, 5 days. So, I have decided to find someone else to come and check it or even if have to re-do it. Do you guys think I can avoid paying him at all? Or do I have to pay half.....?
Also, if anyone has good guys to recommend for doing this kind of stuff? i.e. checking, installing, fixing...etc.?

I'd just pay him for peace of mind. This time last year in Melbourne a couple lost their lives due to a disgruntled plasterer not getting paid. ( I think it was roughly $5k) Left behind couple young kids. Not worth the worry looking over your shoulder or coming home to broken windows. A couple times I've had to bite the bullet and pay for poor work. You just don't know what people are capable of these days.

Also when you get that hole fixed also get the one he also punched through wall down low next to outdoor unit as it no better than the duct hole and is probably how he picked up a power circuit.

Unfortunately you seem to have got what your paid for as cheap usually means they cut corners somewhere and if its not in poor quality product it is in poor quality workmanship.

You can't just find someone else. you should ask him to come back to get it resolved and fixed as a 1st preference. give it 1-2 weeks, if no response then get someone else in. Repairs and Damages - keep notes of them and send him the bill.

But I really don;'t want him to come back and do anything... looking at what he;s done, he certainly no idea what he's doing. Also, he broke the law for not supplying certificate and also his license to me, unless I pay first...

well, just email him saying (i require a license identification etc and if you can supply the certificate, fix the damage within the next week or 2 otherwise i will have to get someone else in to rectify the problem).

Otherwise he can come back and claim you went ahead to get it fixed without giving him the opportunity to rectify if he lodges a claim in smalls courts claims.

You really need to sort this out with the tradesman and get him to make good the work and certificates, then pay him. He will want his money, so should fix it up. Can you go above him with the business, or is it a one man shop?

Maybe just go back to the company that you bought the a/c unit from and asked who does their installs,because that wall is a solid standup panel and should have been core drilled from the start ..imho..

I want to go crazy now...Have tried over 20 phone calls, no single one keen to do it. Not even if I am willing to pay full installation price. Does someone have anyone to recommend???

Hi WLL,

Sorry to see the mess you are in, sometimes when the wheels fall off we all get desperate so I would do all of this, then see what happens next.

For insurance purposes the Body Corporate will require professional standards be met, bodgy jobs place the whole block of units at risk.

Firstly I would go here and read up on what my AC should look like and read the installation instructions so I had some background info www.domainair.com.au/

Then I would contact your state authorities supplied by Willair, then follow their advice.

If the guy has a boss, contact them after you know what "should happen" if not send the guy an email listing the facts given by the authorities.

I would advise him that correct installation and drainage, registration, certification and remedial work will result in him getting paid. I would assure him that all I want is a functioning AC that complies with the law and the sooner he does that the sooner he gets paid.

I would tell him that if he doesn't fix it then I will go to Consumer Affairs for advice but would much rather he just come and fix it.

If he refuses to fix it then I would take lots of photos, get a stat dec from the tenant and go straight to Consumer Affairs/Fair Trading.

Lastly, if all this fails I would contact the manufacturer and ask do they have a trouble shooter available, I would offer to pay right upfront just to resolve the situation.

If you can get the AC fixed and repair the wall yourself that at least gets it moving again. I would take pictures of the hole, try to break a few crumbs off and take them to a hardware store and see what they have that will fill the hole to stop the weather getting in.

PS: I also agree with others that the wiring needs the cover extended down the wall.

My 2c worth, HTH

you could get it fixed using the owners corp insurance.

Take notes, etc and make sure you collect all the bills etc.

After that - just make a claim with the AC installer.

Back