Splitting one bathroom into two

Hi Somersofters,
We are looking to purchase our first IP and have found one that we are looking to make an offer on. It needs a bit of a cosmetic reno but has some great potential. Our only other concern is it only has one bathroom and is located in a very family oriented area, and we are wondering whether its worth considering turning the current bathroom + toilet into two separate bathrooms (toilet in each).

Have attached a VERY rough sketch but essentially the bathroom and separate toilet are right next to each other. Thinking of knocking down the wall between the two and erecting a new one which divides the new space into two.

Obviously we would have to get council approval and confirmation we are not knocking over a structural wall. Assuming this is all good though...

- what kind of cost would we be looking at for this?
- is it pointless to have two bathrooms that are identical next to each other? From a reval perspective, it might be sufficient, but not sure if it would have any impact on potential tenants (given neither would be an ensuite)?
- we considered turning the one on the right into an ensuite but unfortunately it's next to the smallest of the bedrooms. All bedrooms are down the one hall, with the bathroom.
- approximate room of the current bathroom + toilet (combined) is 1.8m x 3.5m so new bathroom would be 1.8m x 1.75m - is this too small for a bathroom? I don't think we would have enough room for a bath either which I think would be quite important in a family area.
- although difficult to compare, 3x2 v 3x1 seem to be getting at least another $50k in purchase price.
- another hurdle is a window that takes up the length of the bathroom, how easy is it to erect a wall that effectively would cut the window in half?

In short, should we even be considering this as an option or is it simply not worth it? (or is the space way too small)

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 819
I doubt there's much point adding a second bathroom if you're not creating an ensuite.

Also, yes, I think 1.8 x 1.75 is too small for a bathroom.

it would be a bit odd to have two bathrooms side by side but to have no ensuite. On paper 2 bathrooms increases value but also if it isnt practical you wont gain as much.

Could you turn one into an ensuite somehow? Or swap laundry into ensuite and new bathroom become laundry??

Do you need council permission, Ive heard this before but do you really?? I thought inside the house was your own business

- what kind of cost would we be looking at for this? costs for someone to do it all youd get to 20k easily
- is it pointless to have two bathrooms that are identical next to each other? From a reval perspective, it might be sufficient, but not sure if it would have any impact on potential tenants (given neither would be an ensuite)? Above
- we considered turning the one on the right into an ensuite but unfortunately it's next to the smallest of the bedrooms. All bedrooms are down the one hall, with the bathroom.
- approximate room of the current bathroom + toilet (combined) is 1.8m x 3.5m so new bathroom would be 1.8m x 1.75m - is this too small for a bathroom? I don't think we would have enough room for a bath either which I think would be quite important in a family area. That is pretty small. I would think given the size a bath and seperate shower would be more appealing to a family
- although difficult to compare, 3x2 v 3x1 seem to be getting at least another $50k in purchase price.
- another hurdle is a window that takes up the length of the bathroom, how easy is it to erect a wall that effectively would cut the window in half? Easy, rip out old window add a stud inand install 2 new windows

Considering that a smallest shower is 900 x 900 and the smallest door is 720 you really are pushing it to fit in that space.

I think Bob's question if you could convert a laundry to a bathroom might be a good one.

If you keep it to the current size I would have a bath added to it.

Back