Sponsoring 457 Visa holders and public school

I also do want this to be an immigration debate but read the transcript from 2013 regarding IT workers:

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2013/s3786315.htm

There are also literally thousands who came over under the old 856 and 857 visas as "cooks".

The types of jobs today have changed.

There are two Chinese owned mines that have an agreement with the Federal Government to wholly staff those production lines with FIFO Chinese workers.

The industries that I stated earlier are those coming from the British Isles.

Like every policy, there are always loop holes.

I also do want this to be an immigration debate but read the transcript from 2013 regarding IT workers:

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2013/s3786315.htm

There are also literally thousands who came over under the old 856 and 857 visas as "cooks".

The types of jobs today have changed.

There are two Chinese owned mines that have an agreement with the Federal Government to wholly staff those production lines with FIFO Chinese workers.

The industries that I stated earlier are those coming from the British Isles.

Like every policy, there are always loop holes.

Yes, and equally many more examples of it working very well and without being abused.

Ultimately if a foreigner with no contacts, support network, more problematic visa and worse English than you can "steal" your job, chances are you're a bit rubbish and probably didn't deserve that job to begin with. I'm sure there are some exceptions to this.

Quoted this paragraph because it should be re read.

Actual examples

Hi Chilli, I can only go on a few years working with NT and WA government who I've seen employ some 457 staff at times. I did say I'm not an expert so can only go on past observations. They are registered employers as described on the dept of immigration website I would imagine so would be bound by those rules. The employees are skilled and qualified workers in health and other government areas, including social services. These fields seem to be hard to fill in a number of countries. Repeated advertising brings no qualified applicants or those with insufficient experience to safely carry out the role. Spoke to a manager in Queensland Health who'd been trying to recruit a mental health professional and had zero applicants from Australia, same scenario. I don't know if they went on to sponsor but they did seem to be having chronic problems in meeting their obligations to provide a health service. Do you need anything else or will that do for now?

Oops just had a text from my boss, been replaced by a nurse from rural Patagonia who'll do my job for $2 an hour and quite good English apparently. :D

The reality is that there are so many jobs in this country that Australians either won't do, or won't train to do.

I work in the far north and get paid to fly around the countryside or drive around it in a nice Prado. I would have thought there would be people fighting for my job, but they have huge difficulties with recruitment here. I've always moved around to find the best work opportunities but some can't and others just won't.

Really? Where do we sign? Hubby tried getting work in the mining regions two years ago and the hoops he had to jump through made it impossible. What do we search for?

Really? Where do we sign? Hubby tried getting work in the mining regions two years ago and the hoops he had to jump through made it impossible. What do we search for?

Hi Angel, I don't work in the mines, I work in health but I see unqualified posts in the bush in WA and NT which seem to pay well and would seem to be a pretty amazing experience but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. If he's not looking for mining there's work around. Is it just mining he wants?

He's qualified and working in IT at Qld Health but can do lots of other things that he's not qualified for. I'll have a look online. Thanks heaps for the heads up :):)

He's qualified and working in IT at Qld Health but can do lots of other things that he's not qualified for. I'll have a look online. Thanks heaps for the heads up :):)

Fantastic, keep in touch. I can try and help with contacts if and when you're looking for a change of scenery :)

Anyway, I thought 457 visa holders had to pay school fees (maybe just in some states)?
I'm not sure about all states, in WA if a family income is more than $75,000 they contribute $4000 towards public schooling per family regardless how many kids unless they can prove financial hardship, etc. (as per link in first post)

myschool.edu.au has the govt contribution per school per student
Thanks, didn't know that existed, will take a look.

I have met quite a few other 457 visa holders in WA in past couple of years. A couple work in mining jobs (not remote), a couple work in recruitment. They all love Aus, two became Permanent residents and the rest want to be permanent.

Fixed it for you.....

:p

Ultimately if a foreigner with no contacts, support network, more problematic visa and worse English than you can "steal" your job, chances are that he was willing to get paid a lot less than you. I'm sure there are some exceptions to this.

Ciao

Nor

Actual examples

Oh pull your head in.

I gave real examples. I was a manager of 10 people on 457s. They were French, Italian, Thai and Indian. I worked with an an additional 10 457s from UK and US.

In my example yes sometimes they are willing to be paid less than local labour, is it an abusive subsistance pay? no. Is it a fair amount for the role? yes. I required degree qualified engineers and geologists for a project and it was impossible to compete against the FIFO pays, no one local would apply for it because it was not a permanent role and wasn't as high paying as a FIFO role. There was also very few experienced staff available in Australia due to the nature of the roles.

There was no stealing of local jobs. I work in an international industry where people move country to country all the time following the work.

and it was impossible to compete against the FIFO pays, no one local would apply for it because it was not a permanent role and wasn't as high paying as a FIFO role.

The wages in this country is too much, so people who are willing to get paid less gets the job. That way the business is profitable.

A friend of mine replaced a leaking tap. Called a local plumber (An Aussie Aussie - you all know what I mean) and was charged $480. For a $70 tap from Bunnings. A overseas plumber (a chinese, indonesian, indian or whatever Aussie) will do the same job for $150. I know whom I will call.

In another thread someone mentioned $4000 to paint a small 3x1 house. I know some Indian painters who will do for $1300 plus paint. Will cost around $2500 maximum.

I am not too sure if these are 457ers or not.

Some business owners made a fortune sponsoring 457ers by charging them a fortune to assist to get permanent residency. Either by employing for lot more hours and paying for 8 hours or giving letters confirming work. Think working for 12 hours each and every day for two years. But it is worth doing so. People from third world countries risk their lives to get into this country. Paying 50k or a couple of years is nothing compared to risking your life at sea.

I gave real examples. I was a manager of 10 people on 457s. They were French, Italian, Thai and Indian. I worked with an an additional 10 457s from UK and US.

In my example yes sometimes they are willing to be paid less than local labour, is it an abusive subsistance pay? no. Is it a fair amount for the role? yes. I required degree qualified engineers and geologists for a project and it was impossible to compete against the FIFO pays, no one local would apply for it because it was not a permanent role and wasn't as high paying as a FIFO role. There was also very few experienced staff available in Australia due to the nature of the roles.

There was no stealing of local jobs. I work in an international industry where people move country to country all the time following the work.
Do you think it would still be necessary today?

Most of the people I've met are on contracts for years so quite different to your experiences? or were these roles also for years?

Let's keep it nice people! I'm sure everyone has had different experiences and no need for personal attacks.

Last edited:
Back