Spray painting the roof with refelctive paint

I have a Brisbane hardyplank house.
It has a flat zinculume roof of approx 170sq m.(? or is it unpainted colourbond or is it the same thing)
There is only reflective roof foil as insulation and no air space to add any more insulation to reduce heat.

I may spray paint the tin roof with refelctive paint to reduce the heat that is being conducted to the internal ceiling in summer.

1 Will I notice a distinct difference in transmitted heat as the advertisement tell me I will?

1A Are all reflective paints fairly similar or are there distinct difference in paints?

2 What paints can people recommend to use, or stay away from?

3 I thought I might spend around $600 on
an airless spary system(Wagner?) from Bunnings which has 9 liter container.Will it produce a reasonable/good job on walls and ceilings for somone who has no experience.( apart from practising on a 170 sq m of roof where looks will be irrelevent)?

4 I notice these units produce a few thousand psi, so can I use this to assist in pressure cleaning the roof before proceeding to paint?The roof seems clean with no rust and is 10years old

5 Will I need to dilute the reflective paint if a spary unit is used, and if so, wont that effect the chemicl compostion of the reflective properties of the paint making it less effective?

A 24 hour kennards hire of airless unit is $197 so with a few jobs over the years I think it may be better to buy a $600 unit than hire.

I will also have to paint 15 wooden steps.

I definelty want something which wont clog and is easy to use and clean

6 Will I need to use primer on the tin roof

Currently I live in a very remote area so i cant visit it a hardware store or paint shop to speak to someone in detail about paints or a spray unit.

Any advice will be gratefully accepted.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I have answered your questions to the best of my ability and believe the Crew spray will do the job for you,;)
Perhaps someone on here has one that they use.
The only down side to them is they wear out quick with undercoats.
I have a Brisbane hardyplank house.
It has a flat zinculume roof of approx 170sq m.(? or is it unpainted colourbond or is it the same thing)
There is only reflective roof foil as insulation and no air space to add any more insulation to reduce heat.

I may spray paint the tin roof with refelctive paint to reduce the heat that is being conducted to the internal ceiling in summer.

1 Will I notice a distinct difference in transmitted heat as the advertisement tell me I will?
I don't know what they advertise,but as long as it is a white paint or similar it will make a big difference.

1A Are all reflective paints fairly similar or are there distinct difference in paints?
I am not familiar with these paints,nor have I done any tests on them,however I am skeptical.

2 What paints can people recommend to use, or stay away from?
For your roof,I would use Solver Duraguard Gloss,this has been a tried and proven paint for myself over twenty years.If you have water collection,you need to use the duraguard roof paint,if you don't have water collection,normal duraguard gloss will suffice.(Tends to bubble like soap after rain for the first time)

3 I thought I might spend around $600 on
an airless spary system(Wagner?) from Bunnings which has 9 liter container.Will it produce a reasonable/good job on walls and ceilings for somone who has no experience.( apart from practising on a 170 sq m of roof where looks will be irrelevent)?
I personally would hire a much more powerful and reliable airless sprayer.The smallest being Wagner PS22 or larger.I have seen the cheaper ones break down and I believe useless .The only one that might do the job for you is a Paint crew sprayer.It is a similar price to what you are describing.
http://www.wagnerspraytech.com.au/portal/color_paint_crew_en_au,86331,59414.html

4 I notice these units produce a few thousand psi, so can I use this to assist in pressure cleaning the roof before proceeding to paint?The roof seems clean with no rust and is 10years old
Cannot be used for this purpose,the pressure is only at the very tip

5 Will I need to dilute the reflective paint if a spary unit is used, and if so, wont that effect the chemicl compostion of the reflective properties of the paint making it less effective?
One of the benefits of airless spraying is you do not have to dilute the paint.

A 24 hour kennards hire of airless unit is $197 so with a few jobs over the years I think it may be better to buy a $600 unit than hire.
That's something for you to decide.You can apply two-three coats in one day with a larger gun as long as the weather is fine.

I will also have to paint 15 wooden steps.
You cannot paint wooden steps with an airless spray unless they are painted by hand and then sanded first.

I definelty want something which wont clog and is easy to use and clean

6 Will I need to use primer on the tin roof
All you will need to do is hire a larger water gerni and spend a few hours up there cleaning.You will be amazed at what comes off,once again if you are water collecting,disconnect your tanks. No primer is required if you use the correct paint

Currently I live in a very remote area so i cant visit it a hardware store or paint shop to speak to someone in detail about paints or a spray unit.

You can use utube to see how the sprayguns work,you have at your fingertips on this forum experts with multiple years experience to help you,why talk to someone who did a four hour course once and is trying to sell you their product.

Any advice will be gratefully accepted.
Thanks.

Just bumping the thread a long to get a few different opinions on reflective paint and the type of paint to use.
Opinions on spray paint gear as well

I have been advised the 521 spray tip is what is required with the heat reflective paint , Thermobond HRC.
the under coat requires a 517 tip .

Is there much difference between the 2 tips considering I will be on a flat tin roof which no one will see . ie looks arent important

I am unable to locate a machine that will be suitable with the 521 tip.
What do I need?

There is not much difference between the two tips. Using heat reflective paints you would go for the larger tip.
Heat reflective paints do work, although manufactorers may exagerate thier effectiveness. Any good quality roof primer may be used. You will need to pressure clean with a separate unit. A very good brand is nutech nxt coolzone. Dulux also have a good product. Be sure to gal prime any rusted areas.

Cheers,

Phil

Back