Sprayed/Bumpy Gyprock? How to get rid of it?

Hi team,

Well I've just settled on our new PPOR.

When going through it again yesterday I noticed some of the internal walls seem to be sprayed Gyprock. It feels and sounds like gyprock when I tap it (ie not concrete). But it looks terrible I can't repaint with it there. It looks similar to a vermiculite ceiling but on the walls.

I've attached some pictures below;

IMG-20130130-00013.jpg

IMG-20130130-00012.jpg

Does anyone know how to get it off the Gyprock? Or will the Gyprock need to be replaced all together? There are quite a few walls so replacing the Gyprock isn't ideal. House is not that old so it shouldn't contain asbestos - built 1992.

Thanks,

Grimey

Last edited:
Not asbestos at that age

That looks to be a paint finish like Granosite.

Unusual to see inside. It is is if can be sanding off however a big job. It may also peel off easily. Take a sample off and go to say Dulux and get it examined. Free of charge.

Regards Peter 14.7

We have this throughout our place as well. We bought the place from the bank and so the walls were dirty (probably from dust accumulating on the bumps) and painted white to make things worse. We painted the walls a slightly darker colour (barefoot beach i think) and cleaned them up and now you can hardly notice the bumps, unless you touch the walls.

thought about sanding or skim coating but it would be a massive job!

Not asbestos at that age

Unusual to see inside. It is is if can be sanding off however a big job. It may also peel off easily. Take a sample off and go to say Dulux and get it examined. Free of charge.

Interesting thanks. I just did some searches on Granosite and it definitely looks like that but I'll scrape off a sample to be sure.

I'm hoping it can be removed with the right chemical. Sanding it off would be a killer. Not sure why someone would put it inside as you say!

Interesting thanks. I just did some searches on Granosite and it definitely looks like that but I'll scrape off a sample to be sure.

I'm hoping it can be removed with the right chemical. Sanding it off would be a killer. Not sure why someone would put it inside as you say!

Granosite is easily peeled off in sheets once you get behind it.

Peter

Granosite is easily peeled off in sheets once you get behind it.

Peter

The problem will be that it'll likely tear the top paper layer of the gyprock, and then it'll be even more stuffed because it cannot be repaired.

Try a very heavy undercoat product designed to hide surface imperfections, or as UrbanPlanner said, do a skim coat of plaster or something.

Ultimately the only solution might be to put up another layer of gyprock.

My suspicions are that this stuff is actually a Poly product called Pollycell. I remember my father using it on some uneven walls and doggy ceilings in properties about 25-30 years ago.

If I'm right, then this is it here: http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/polycell_textured_ceilings.jsp
I think you used different textured rollers (on a normal paint roller handle & frame) to get different finishes required.

In any even, it will be a PITA to remove, as others have said, you'll need to skim coat it. You can see it being done here:
http://yootuubee.com/video/_YyU4mFdnT0

The problem will be that it'll likely tear the top paper layer of the gyprock, and then it'll be even more stuffed because it cannot be repaired.

Unless the lining is fibre cement.

I think you need to remove a section is small corner, not visible and answer all our questions. It is rare to use it internally.

Peter

Try a very heavy undercoat product designed to hide surface imperfections, or as UrbanPlanner said, do a skim coat of plaster or something.

Ultimately the only solution might be to put up another layer of gyprock.

Totally agree - trying to peel it of will potentially create massive problems. Even peeling of a little but will create problems trying to subsequently get a uniform surface.

Either do the skim coat which will partially fill the imperfections and then use a thick paint. This would still be a massive amount of work but at least you can keep adding skim coat until you are happy with the level of the smoothness achieved.

Alternatively - what has been suggested to me but I have never tried use a waterproof latex paint like Dampfix to paint over the surface. This will not end up with a smooth wall but at least you will get rid of the little ridges where dirt can collect.

Cheers

It is a texture coat,not real easy to get rid of,
Beat way is to take it down and put new gypock up,
Bad situation to have,mostly used in pubs as to imitate brick/render walls to stop punching and also used outside on blockwork,so you can imagine how tough it is.;)

Back