Springfield Lakes - The TRUTH

Hi guys,
Its been a while since I posted here, although Im sure many of you havent missed me. Anyway, today Im frustrated, annoyed and well, Ive just had enough!

No doubt by now the majority of you have heard of this 'wonderful development' out here at Springfield Lakes. Youve probably seen the billboards and tv advertisements suggesting a 'new lifestyle' and all this 'joyous community spirit'. The lake, the lifestyle, the people and all the wonderous offerings Springfield Lakes offers you.

Well let me tell you this...

Ive now been living in Springfield Lakes for almost 2 years. In that time, we have made repeated attempts at having broadband connected here at home. Originally when we moved in I had dial up, then upon investigation we were told firstly by our internet service provider that broadband wasnt available. We then tried by calling Telstra directly and they also informed us that broadband internet wasnt available in this area.

I found this quite confusing and upon asking "why not?" the answer was simply - "the technology isnt in place out there". Telstra has told us that the one of the neighbouring exchanges actually services this area. The GOODNA exchange. Has anyone actually driven past this exchange and taken a look at it? It must be 60 years old. Its run down, and its a joke. Here we have a multi million dollar development that is obtaining awards left right and centre and yet broadband internet isnt available because the exchange that services this area is unable to provide needed services. There is something within the vicinity of 15,000 people out here stuck on dial up.

Telstra basically said that the exchange is at full capacity and unless someone actually physically 'unplugs' one of the existing broadband connections (which is probably a house in camira or gailes) then its just unlikely to happen. They did suggest gathering a 'petition' to support the upgrade of the exchange. It would take 50 families in the area to support this. Can you believe this????? I have been making requests every few months over the last year and a half hoping things have changed but they have not.

So here I am, self employed, running a business from home using the only alternative to broadband that they offer - ISDN. This is a 64K connection two channel shared with the home phone. Before this I had to disconnect the internet to call clients and then get back online. And guess what type of work I do - WEB DEVELOPMENT!!!!

<insert screaming here>

Do you have any idea of just how unprofessional it seems when you tell a client you have dial up internet and that you do web design for a living????

Anyway...(im not finished yet)

On top of the whole broadband thing - it seems we have another issue out here.

MOBILE PHONE COVERAGE

Im not kidding you. The coverage out here is pathetic. Infact there is none. That is unless you stand out the front of your house in the middle of the road waving your phone in circles above your head for 5 minutes. Then if youre lucky - you might get one bar.

Before being self employed I was working for Qld Gov and had to be on call. Well, that had to be scrapped because even with the new 3G service phones or whatever they are - that didnt work either.

I simply CANNOT believe just how bad things are in this area. For those considering moving here - BE WARNED.

It has made the local newspapers and still nothing has been done.

Its PATHETIC AND DOWNRIGHT BLOODY ANNOYING!!!

</rant>

RJ

I also forgot to mention. Crime is on the rise here.

Last week my car was broken into (stereo stole and dashboard ripped apart) the local Subway was broken into (safe stolen) and we so kindly have some nutcase running around the lake flashing himself at female joggers in the mornings.

RJ

welcome back rj - we did miss you ... :D.

there is a whole thread somewhere on wondering where you'd gone - but now we see you've been flat out setting up your business (even if the government idiots can see the way forward!).

RJ,

Move around the corner to Brookwater. :) We have fiber to the home (20 megabit), but you pay through the nose for it ($100+/month). You can only get Telstra Bigpond... so it's a bit of a monopoly.

You must live in a gully in Springfield Lakes. I get fine reception on both my Vodafone and Telstra mobiles...

Kids in Springfield Lakes are BORED. There's the Orion Shopping Center, but it's still only at stage 1. Bring on the cinemas and entertainment precincts!

-- MJ.

And it is not just happening in Springfield Lakes... just read a very similar story in todays Sunshine Coast Daily.
edit from SCD said:
David Rasmussen of Sippy Downs said he has been trying to get broadband for eight weeks.

His story is like many – a trail of hi-tech terms, different answers from different “experts” – and running around in circles.

“We have spoken to multiple providers,” he said. “We are trying to get a line with Telstra and our internet server. Telstra said yes, they can log us on – but later they said they can’t give access, as ADSL broadband is ‘incompatible’ with the server.”

Mr Rasmussen said this was “rubbish”.

“We have made many more inquiries through many people,” he said. “Finally a Telstra person said there were not enough ports in the local area. He asked if we could go on a waiting list, and was told ‘no’.”

Mr Rasmussen said he was then told to ring every day. “(They said), ‘the only way to get a port is if another customer leaves, they said’.”

He asked Telstra whether an upgrade would be taking place for more ports, and was told such information was “confidential”.

“If you want to start a business on the Coast – you can’t,” he said.

How disappointing RJ.

We used to live at Camira in 1974-1978 so took an interest in the Springfield development. I was under the impression that the whole estate was to be cabled with computer access for all homes a big selling point when the estate was launched.

Similar social problems reported from North Lakes - apparently there is nothing provided for teenagers, who tend to get into mischief when bored.

Good luck with the broadband.
Marg

Yep, interesting responses.

That post taken from the sunshine coast daily is EXACTLY the same issue as what we have here.

Its obvious also that there has been a favouring towards servicing Brookwater as opposed to Springfield Lakes, as everyone I know that lives in Brookwater has either cable or broadband.

As for living in a gully - you couldnt be further from the truth. Infact Im on top of a hill here, and no reception inside the house, nothing. I have to go outside to accept calls to which I then ask them to call the home number.

All I can say is - I didnt vote for Rudd, but hes promised to improve internet connectivity across the country.

Lets wait and see.

RJ

Yep, interesting responses.
Its obvious also that there has been a favouring towards servicing Brookwater as opposed to Springfield Lakes, as everyone I know that lives in Brookwater has either cable or broadband.

Everyone in Brookwater, from Stage 5 and beyond has fibre, which is broadband. Not sure about the other stages... but it wouldn't surprise me if they are hooking into the Redbank Plains exchange... it's almost like the carriers are treating Springfield Lakes as a third world suburb...

Why not make your house a rental and move suburb? :)

As for living in a gully - you couldnt be further from the truth. Infact Im on top of a hill here, and no reception inside the house, nothing. I have to go outside to accept calls to which I then ask them to call the home number.

Well then that's polly wolly crap-o. :( Doesn't sound like a very tall hill...

-- MJ.

All I can say is - I didnt vote for Rudd, but hes promised to improve internet connectivity across the country.
Might be an idea to fire off a quick email outlining your situation to your local member in Oxley. Labor retained the seat, so it can't hurt to ask. His broadband policy & contact details are here.
Steve

And many bag Melton!?!?!

My phone works there and my PM has internet???

Seriously, sorry it has not worked out.:(

Being in the bush we only get ADSL1 and not 2. It is a joke and discourages investors out here and we are only 1 hr from Melbourne CBD.

PM Rudd promises to fix it.

Peter 14.7

if you are serious I would make an appointment with a petition. if its not so important then send an email.
Eyeballing somone is always more effective if you can spare the time.
I am surprised you havent done yourself in at 64k.....unless you are on windows 3.11 D:DD:eek::eek::eek:

Back