SS members helping other SS members

G'day everyone,

I'm new to this forum and don't know whether this has been suggested before or not, but here goes...

I know that some investors buy interstate and don't neccesarily have the time or opportunity to travel and inspect properties face to face. Of course I am aware that building and pest inspections can be carried out, and have their merit, but it doesn't actually replace the benefit of someone walking through the property or someone taking some additional photos of the steetscape and neighbours etc.

What I am suggesting is that perhaps SS members can assist each other by fulfilling this role. Maybe there could be some sort of data-base where members could put down their location and availability to have a look at properties for other SS members. It doesn't need to be time consuming, and I am sure that some kind of incentive would help, (for example a bottle of wine or a few beers) compensate for an hour or so of their time.

What does everyone else think? Is this a feasible idea?

I'll be first off the rank. I am currently living in Darwin, and if anyone is seriously looking at a particular property and they want a few extra pics taken, or my personal opinion of the property, then just send me a PM and I'll see what I can do on a Sat or Sun. :)

Cheers,
Phil

Phil, how would they be qualified to do so? ie a complete newbie to IPs giving oppinions for professional investors?

When you have been here a little while you will start counting many other members as good friends. At this point you will start emailing, catching up etc. I am often helping other friends and vice versa.

Good idea and rest assured it happens already amongst mates here.

I don't think formalising it would work: as Rixter said, how would you be able to trust the other member? Just because you live in a city doesn't mean you know enough to comment on any area in that city, to say nothing of experience levels.

If you're in the country, just take a weekend to go see the thing. In practice, if you go to a few of the meetings, you'll end up knowing some members personally.
Alex

When you have been here a little while you will start counting many other members as good friends. At this point you will start emailing, catching up etc. I am often helping other friends and vice versa.

Good idea and rest assured it happens already amongst mates here.

I've done this on a few occasions for other members and non members. Nothing formal, just a look, a few pics and my personal opinion. If they're serious, they'll spend the $ and jump on a plane and inspect themselves. Plus they can make a little weekend holiday out of it here on the Gold Coast :)

I don't think formalising it would work: as Rixter said, how would you be able to trust the other member? Just because you live in a city doesn't mean you know enough to comment on any area in that city, to say nothing of experience levels.

If you're in the country, just take a weekend to go see the thing. In practice, if you go to a few of the meetings, you'll end up knowing some members personally.
Alex

Yes I see what you mean, could be more problematic that beneficial. Oh well, was just thinking out aloud.

Phil.

Hi Phil

I've been on SS for only a few months but have already made some friends ..and it's tremendous to be able to bounce your views off someone
else ... to be able to pm someone who's bought in the same suburb you
are considering ... people have been so helpful and then what goes around ...
does come around.

You will find that too yourself as time goes by.

Cheerio

Back