St. George, an exercise in frustration

Loan application commenced last Monday (22nd). They came back on FRIDAY and said they need a privacy consent form with their letterhead, not BankSA (even though my broker is speaking to a BankSA Business Development Manager and the loan brochure was branded BankSA).

That got submitted to them Saturday (27th) (as it needed to be signed by myself and another party)

It was escalated to "Urgent" by my broker on Monday 29th and they responded that it would be assessed within 24 hours.

They told us on Tuesday it would be assessed within 24 hours.

They told us on Wednesday it would be assessed within 24 hours.

They told us on Thursday it would be assessed within 24 hours.

It's now Friday and we've still not had any word of whether or not it's been allocated to an assessor.

To summarise -

So that's 11 days (Monday - Saturday, Monday - Friday) in total that they have had the file and they still can't give an answer as to when it will be reviewed.

It was escalated to urgent on the Monday the 29th and they have still taken 5days and this urgent file still hasn't been allocated to an assessor.

The broker has been in contact with their Business Development Manager yesterday and it still hasn't been allocated to an assessor.

I've requested 3 extensions to the cooling off period from the Vendor this week. First to Wednesday, then Thursday, now the Vendor's Solicitor has granted a final extension to 3pm tomorrow, after which time cooling off period ends.

It's a bit of a joke and anyone considering using St. George for finance, I'd strongly advise against it if you have any hopes of things being completed in a reasonable time frame. I've been told by my broker that other banks are normally capable of providing approval on a file within 4-8 hours after being escalated to Urgent.

Yeah they seem to be behind at the moment. I've got one in the pipe that's dragging on as well. Normally they're reasonably quick - especially if the broker uploads the supporting docs online and is a gold/flame broker....but the last week has been a bit frustrating for me as well!

Cheers

Jamie

I'm playing the waiting game as well for unconditional finance approval.

Got told it would be mid week or end of the week. 4.30pm now I'm annoyed.

Stg have had service consistency issues for the last 14 years and possibly previous to that.

A little bit does come down to broker segmentation.

If you are in their top tier they will make most things shine.

For us, stg falls into the niche area. That means they are great for the areas they are good at, smsf, some self employed, global limit loc, no lmi for some peops etc.

As a daily preferred lender ..........nah, I don't have enough Panadol or ducene

Ta

Rolf

Everytime i recommend St George ( Either existing St George customer, High LVR, Nice, No LMI, Global limit, SMSF) i always tell my purchasing clients to prepare for a 10 days cooling period and refinancing clients to wait out 1.5 month min.

Their mother company westpac is perfect, turn around 1 day for non urgent and 2 hours for urgent.....VS St George's weeks......

St george and Bankwest...2 of my pet hate because of slowwwwww turn around times, they are like a bunch of aging wagyu cows takes 12 month to Marble for a perfect fit! ...But what your gonna do they both have their place and benefit some clients- either niche policy or cheap rate.

We've had all sorts of dramas with St George regarding our funding facilities. They take so long to do things.

Apart from having one good lending product, I wouldn't recommend using them for anything.

Back