St George identifies nations hotspots

St George has identified some of what they consider "hot-spots".

From http://www.rebonline.com.au/breaking-news/2626-st-george-identifies-nations-hotspots

Hotspots:

Sydney Granville, Rockdale, Lidcombe, Riverwood, Waterloo

Brisbane Keperra, Margate, Cannon Hill, Fairfield, Kedron

Melbourne Chadstone, Ashburton, Brunswick, Flemington, Fawkner

Hobart North Hobart

Canberra Dickson

Perth Bassendean, Thornlie

Adelaide Thebarton, Glanville

Darwin Rapid Creek

Regional Australia Gulliver, Redan

I suppose their view is as good as anybody elses. I don't know if Terry Ryder agrees? But I'd pretty much concur with the ones I know in Sydney.

For Sydney, and from a capital gains perspective, I'd certainly agree with Rockdale, Granville and Lidcombe. Don't know enough about Riverwood or Waterloo.

I heard this very same report a month or so back on the radio and I don't think it was St.George saying it.

Last edited:
When a bank prepares a hotspot list like this, it doesn't do so out of a sense of charity. They seem to have motives of their own in "pushing" middle and higher end suburbs over the cheaper value-investor-property that I'd personally prefer to buy. It is interesting that none of the suburbs recommended by the bank match those suburbs recommended by respected commentators like Terry Ryder or Margaret Lomas.

When a bank prepares a hotspot list like this, it doesn't do so out of a sense of charity. They seem to have motives of their own in "pushing" middle and higher end suburbs over the cheaper value-investor-property that I'd personally prefer to buy. It is interesting that none of the suburbs recommended by the bank match those suburbs recommended by respected commentators like Terry Ryder or Margaret Lomas.

In the case of Melbourne:

Yardney's been tipping Chadstone and Ashburton for a while (both are near much dearer suburbs and Chadstone is ex housing commission).

Likewise Wakelin has been banging on about Brunswick for years.

Flemington & Fawkner? Flemington is super-handy but has public housing high-rises.

Fawkner (like Lalor) is a bit daggy but is a quiet suburb relatively close (<20km) to the CBD. It is slightly isolated from major shopping centres etc, is most known for its cemetery and parts are in a floodplain. It is not far from Coburg North and will be invaded by people priced out of Coburg and Coburg North.

Fawkner is neither far out enough nor cheap enough to be a Lomas favourite and is too far out for the inner-city mob so that's why it's escaped pundit's attention. But most certainly not middle-high end.

Fawkner is neither far out enough nor cheap enough to be a Lomas favourite and is too far out for the inner-city mob so that's why it's escaped pundit's attention. But most certainly not middle-high end.

Prices have jumped significantly - interesting suburb - one of my staff just bought his home there.

The demand is a demographic one - actually more accurately a religious one (bit like what Caulfield South is to Jews).

The key attracting features are:

Mosque (handy to be near when you have dawn prayers to get to)

Availability of Halal food in Coburg (you are right Spiderman - most have been priced out of CBG and CBG Nth)

Islamic Schools in proximity

No modern trendy "open" design houses - good old fashioned homes with corridors and walls (important as the women can not walk past male guests sitting in the lounge).

Cheers,

The Y-man

In the case of Melbourne:

Fawkner (like Lalor) is a bit daggy but is a quiet suburb relatively close (<20km) to the CBD. It is slightly isolated from major shopping centres etc, is most known for its cemetery and parts are in a floodplain. It is not far from Coburg North and will be invaded by people priced out of Coburg and Coburg North.

Fawkner is quite close to the city actually, less than 15km. But couldn't find out anything special then comparing its surrounding suburbs...

Not sure if lidcombe and granville fit into that theory.

If this list was not published in the media, it would not worth even a broken 5c coin. After it got published it will certainly become self fulfiled prophecy. Herds will rush there - no doubt.

The good thing about those lists that it takes attention of the herd away from nearby suburbs creating pockets of underpriced property, thus investment opportunity.

Remember the hype about Berowra Waters restaurant? It has put Berowra on the map (though remaining pretty much dead area), but neighbouring Mt Kuring-Gai and especially Mt Colah despite being much better positioned are still asleep. Guess what will happen in the next couple of years with these suburbs when you have overpriced Hornsby on one side and overpriced Berowra on the other?

Flemington & Fawkner? Flemington is super-handy but has public housing high-rises.

Flemington/Kensington have served us very well. Great C.P, great rent and all within 4k of the city. The public housing isnt ideal, though hasnt stopped Carlton or these areas growing faster than Melbourne median growth. Good area...

As an aside the price of 2 bed Vics and unrenovated 3 bedder in North Carlton have surpirsed me for a while. Cheaper than you would expect. I think its a bit like Toorak for apartments. People dont bother looking because they think they are priced out!

All these surveys IMO just make those who have purchased or are considering purchasing feel good about themselves. :rolleyes:

Does anyone ever go back and judge how accurate these predictions are?

Sure we go back and check these things and if we are wrong we just wait longer until we are eventually right. Most things pver time revert back to the mean.

I remember 2 years ago that when some whiz bang property guy from the USA came here for a tour he predicted, using his special code, that Warrandyte would be the fastest growing suburb of Melbourne in 2008/9.

Smart thinking because anyone who knows Warrandyte knows that it regularly makes the list of highest appreciating suburbs. The smart ones will also notice that Warrandtye OFTEN makes the list of worst performing suburbs. The reason is because of 2 distinct local markets. If a few houses sell in 'Millionaires row' then you have picked a winner. If in a period only the average part of town get the sales then you see a huge drop. So this guy was smart - he had a 50 percent chance of being right...

Guess what though - Warrandyte made the worst performing list for 2009....this guy is back in the USA with his 50k from doing a few talks an noone will be none the wiser.

Damn statistics...

More property hot spots identified on today tonight tonight

Of the 3 Sydney suburbs they mentioned Bronte, Haberfield and Oatlands.

Don't they say (who are they?) that if you read it or hear it your too late?

I guess I got in just before time with settlement due nect week on IP1 in Oatlands.

Back