St Marys/Colyton Vs Old Mt Druitt Vs rest of 2770 (DOH areas)

Looking for an investment property and thought about the suburbs mentioned in the title. Looking for a house where i could put a granny flat or rent them or even better a house at the back with the ability to subdivide.

1) St Marys/Colyton - South of the Great Western Highway - drove around here and have a few friends here. Seems like a nice place to live (not my intention). Houses seem to be going for $350k-450k (depends on land size and condition). Not near a train station (2-3ks away) so not too sure how it appeals to renters)
Still saw a few kids that looked like trouble but seemed more like isolated cases that could be easily handled. Personally find it a cheap location for what it is and due to crazy house prices in Sydney at the moment have some place to move in terms of CG.

2) Old Mt Druitt - Doesnt seem to bad of an area (crossing railways tracks is too much effort :p ). Lot of land here is close 1000m2 so subdivision is possible. Price seems a lot higher which is around 600k which seems a bit high to bother investing in this area (personally rather go Fairfield area which seems to have similar size blocks for a tad higher). On the other hand public transport and shopping centre are near.

I have also considered St Marys (north of Great Western). Near trains/CBD. Prices are actually cheaper (low 300s-400k). People around this area seem to be not appear as well off as above areas. As an investment seems have a few headache tennants. In terms of CG i actually have no idea but since prices are well below Sydneys average theres a place to move?

3) Rest of 2770 (DOH suburbs) - as the obvious lot of DOH houses, and would not be suprised that lot of the ex DOH still are home to questionable characters. Seems like finding a tennant would not be an issue (although may have a few headaches) Easily put a granny flat in most of these blocks being 550m2-650m2. As its in blacktown council may be able to subdivide corner blocks. Looks like the properties have done well over past 12 months in terms of CG. Prices seem to be Low 300s - 400k + (pending on condition).

Personally find Colyton/St Marys as a better option if i had to choose to live but I have no intention too. Maint objective is rental income and CG (looking more at a short term as well). I feel investing in suburbs that are on lower end of Sydneys Market would be ideal for a short term CG as.

These are just my personal opinon - Would love to hear yours

These areas have moved quite considerably over the past 12 months and although I feel there is more room for values to increase I think only small,I lived in the areas for a while and my knowledge as well and having property there to I think you are buying in a heated market there and short term cg I do not think so, by your comments on the area you really need to do more in depth research so you understand the areas there,take a drive too by the time you buy and build a granny flat you will be paying near $500k for both.

macca446 - 2770 seems to have moved a bit over the past 12 months (especially cheaper suburbs - ex doh etc) but st marys/colyton seems to be quiet disappointing when compared to other areas in sydney. I was considering to purchase there 12 months ago when prices where 300 - 400 while now as mentioned 350-450. Maybe theres a chance it may go up now?

I have driven around the area and am quiet familiar with the area.
Maybe my negative comments on the area are based on the nuisances/headaches ive dealt with while in the area. Though I dont care personally - as an investment it is a concern.

If i was to build a granny flat and rent both then yes budget would be around 450-550k.

Datto - Looking on realestate.com.au there are properties <400k but yes the more desirable ones are closer to the 450k mark

I agree big short term gains are hard to come but I think the trick would be to secure a place (quickly ie within day or two of going on the internet or off market sale) at below or near market value (which is difficult at this time.) Then put it on the market to see what people are willing to pay. I didn't think this would be possible but Recently someone bought a place in the area for 385k in July and sold it for 500k in September and I reckon they even used the same photos!

On a side note ie for long term growth, I think St Marys still has more room to move,
Ie. with the new airport
http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95930&page=2
http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97813

there is already lots of new houses/townhouses being built improving the quality of housing in the area, people have paid high prices for sites with development potential (well over 800k for 1000 m) which I wondered how they would make their money back until I saw these advertised, It will be interesting to see what they sell for considering one seems to have a side on the main road.
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-st+marys-118031051
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-st+marys-118031051

Rental and tenant demand is strong, one place of mine their settled two days before Christmas day one year and I got a tenant the next day, the other place I bought just under 18 months ago and the rent has gone up 40 dollars a week in that time (on a market rent basis ie I don't tend to hike rents up exorbitantly)

Interesting segment on channel 7 news on Monday night about sydney suburbs under most pressure if interest rates rise, they identified castle hill and blacktown amongst others are being most under pressure, but surprisingly, St Marys was identified as one which was most resilient to rising interest rates.

my03 - the reason for this is that a large proportion of mortgage holders in 2770 are investors, and the majority of of investment properties in the area are positively geared. On top of this, the large amount of growth in the area over the last 12-18 months has meant that many have significantly reduced their credit risk and LVR, hence making the area resilient to interest rate rises..

makes sense blindbull, so i guess if rate rises are inevitable, and given sydney market has been so hot recently, it might be a bit safer to acumulate in those more resilient suburbs?

St Marys/Cloyton is still one of the most affordable / rental-affordable suburbs in Sydney. This probably gives it some floor on valuation.

Is that right time to buy PPOR in this area? Or better wait middle of next year ?
Want to get some expert advice from somersoft.

My top celing is 370k with 5% deposit and want a house, but recently cant find one within my budget.
Looks like switch to find unit instead around Mt Duritt or Blacktown.

I work in the city that is why i eyes on western Sydney as straight and frequent train from Penrith line.

Is that right time to buy PPOR in this area? Or better wait middle of next year ?
Want to get some expert advice from somersoft.

My top celing is 370k with 5% deposit and want a house, but recently cant find one within my budget.
Looks like switch to find unit instead around Mt Duritt or Blacktown.

I work in the city that is why i eyes on western Sydney as straight and frequent train from Penrith line.

I think many on this forum will advise a house as opposed to a unit.

The reason for this is that land appreciates and as an investment you will see more capital growth. As it is a PPOR then you may opt to make some sacrifices for convenience.

I started looking around Sydney for my 2nd IP however couldn't find anything that met my criteria (ie. i wanted a decent yield and good potential for capital gain) so i started looking at Brisbane

As this is out of the question for you as it is a PPOR then for houses in that price range you could try down near Campbelltown (ie. Bradbury- short drive to Macarthur Station) as you should be able to find something in the vicinity within the $370k price range. Don't know too much about the area but it did meet one of my criteria as till having a decent rental yield.

In terms of timing... you are buying right at the peak of the market, so don't think it would make significant difference between now and 6 months from now (unless you buy in a suburb that hasn't risen by the average % increase across Sydney)

Thanks qonyx,
This would be my first property and friend of mine mention this forum and found outvery useful and informatic.

I strongly agree with you as me and my wife really want a house, but all of the 2770 suburbs price are just beyond my budget recently. Ok i will take a look little futhur down around Campelltown. Seems not convenience as western Sydney

I also found units in Carramar are cheap compare to surrounding suburbs.

no history of transaction, owner had it since 1988. just an ordinary brick house with a average condition and a bigger yard.
I would think this property to be 280k some 18-24 months ago, no?
so a 15-20% per year increase for last 2 year.

as yield decline due to price increase in 2770, you see investor move elsewhere. I think that could be a good thing as we need a balance of investor and owner occupy in the area. The S94 increase to $9k for a GF build for blacktown council may also see a decline in GF builds.

Back