Stacked Stones

anyone know of a place that sells reasonably priced stacked stones (also known as stick on stones) that normally is used on feature walls or feature porticos??

We're looking at using them on the 1 pillar of a portico and have been getting quotes of around $1500-$2500.

it looks really great and makes it stand out from other typical courtyard homes but can't justify the $2Kish for the 1 pillar :rolleyes:

A cheaper option that will give a similar look is to buy some stone floor tiles and get stuck into them with a angle grinder with diamond cutting wheel. then stick them on with tile adhesive and you have little bits of stone stuck to your pillar. Groute it all up and if you want the stone to stick out a bit, try to find different thickness tiles.

We tiled the floor in sandstone and they came in different thickness so had to grade them and took a lot of time to make the floor reasonably flat. So could work alright as a stick on wall.

It's an idea anyway.

Cheers
Graeme

Hi Graeme,

What an excellent suggestion!

I'll look into that option this week.....i'm sure it works out ALOT cheaper!

Cheers,
Kim

anyone know of a place that sells reasonably priced stacked stones (also known as stick on stones) that normally is used on feature walls or feature porticos??

We're looking at using them on the 1 pillar of a portico and have been getting quotes of around $1500-$2500.

it looks really great and makes it stand out from other typical courtyard homes but can't justify the $2Kish for the 1 pillar :rolleyes:

I think the problem with stacked stone is that it's not supposed to look like its stuck on :D The trick is to get a good look on corners. You can get ones that interlock on corners, or have special corner peices, or you can mitre them.

Either way, id suggest your quotes are due to the fact that a pillar is effectively 'all corners' so its all the hard bits without any of the easy bits.

I just finished putting up some stack stone on a feature wall in my backyard. I ended up paying about $65 a sqm from tjimports. A really good price. You can find them here http://www.tjimports.com.au/
You also have to purchase the bonding cement and isolastic but those materials are relatively cheap compared with the stack stone.

Back