stainless or whitegoods?

hi guys.we are planning a renovation shortly,on a property to be sold,what does everyone think of stainless or white goods?does it really make a difference to the selling price?i know most new modern places seem to use them,but having purchased a new stove recently for this property we wonder how necessary stainless is?

Fit

Im doing a new house at the moment.
Stainless is certainly trendy but also more expensive - generally.
Im also told that stainless does scratch etc quicker.
If your looking at it for a rental, I would suggest whitegoods.

With our new place wher are doing a bit of each.
Just purchased a new F&P SS Oven HP and R/Hood and a White F&P Fridge

Regards
Dave P
:)

We bought a stainless steel oven recently. While we were in the shop (a fairly upmarket one) we chatted to the lady there about this very subject.

She said that white has always been popular and lately it seems that people are preferring white goods as they are easily matched to any decor and are timeless - she thought stainless might date.

I like stainless but that is probably more of an indication that it might date - I am not even allowed to choose my own clothes anymore such is my sense of style.

Cheers,

Originally posted by fitguy
hi guys.we are planning a renovation shortly,on a property to be sold,what does everyone think of stainless or white goods?does it really make a difference to the selling price?i know most new modern places seem to use them,but having purchased a new stove recently for this property we wonder how necessary stainless is?

My comments are not based on my personal preferences but market feedback. Being a significant property developer we hear what buyers want and through Metropole Property Management we hear want tenants like.

There is no doubt that stainless steel is the current market preference. They don't need to be expensive - we use the Technika brand - "imported" European appliances. They are made in Slavinia- that's somewhere in Europe isn't it?:D

The little extra expense will bring you lots of dollars in extra value

Hi Everyone,

Totally agree with Michael. Stainless steel is definately the way to go if you want that wow factor and it is also used as a great advertising tool for either selling or renting the property.
Cost...most products there is now very little difference in price. All a matter of personal taste. We have always(recent years) bought stainless steel products and never had any cleaning problems etc.

As for a ST fridge it is the biggest wow factor. We have a ST fridge inour own home and with 2 small kids, finger marks have never been a problem. If you are going to sell the house then you must have that wow factor...as I said before not much difference in price at all.

Of course this is all IMHO and others may disagree.
I know what I look for in smartly renovated homes...Stainless steel appliances, granite bench tops at the very least.:D

PS...What buyers expect in Melbourne could be totally different in QLD. The humidity could effect the ST therefore it may not be the best product to put in QLD homes.

Mrs Bird

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
Also agree with Michael Yardley & Mrs Bird, stainless steel is in & is suited for the clean, modern look of today. I actually think that white applicances are on the way out & while they will always be available, i think there popularity will decrease even further.
But that is just my opinion though.

Regards Tony

Originally posted by Mrs Bird
What buyers expect in Melbourne could be totally different in QLD. The humidity could effect the ST therefore it may not be the best product to put in QLD homes.
I would appreciate any more comments on the Stainless Steel in QLD comment. Not being accustomed to this sort of weather, it isn't something I had even considered, and I am currently thinking about ST for our PPOR.
Thanks

I'm in QLd and still reccommend stainless steel. Yes they show up hand prints easier. I renovate in inner Brisbane and wouldn't use white, I think they look 'cheaper' than stainless steel. I often use Technika as well. Can get a 900mm free standing oven for $2500 which is great value and looks very impressive. Stainless steel is especially important with solid timber kitchens or granite benchtops

Darryl

Hi All,

It's been a while since I've been on, but now I am finally starting to get some free time on my hands after a nightmare couple of months at work!!!!!!!!

I will second the motion for Stainless. It does look "cool" and especially nice with Granite and Wood kitchens.

As for fingerprints I have found the 3M stainless steel cleaner from 3M to be pretty good at getting them off and minising them.

I'd also seriously look at getting an IRIDIUM fridge. I think only Fiser and Paykel make produts out of this material.......but it looks cool, modern and is fingerprint proof. Great if you had kids.

I've thought long & hard on this topic as I HATE stainless.

I'd say as it's a sale stainless should be considered...for a rental nada.

The key element is what are the probable buyer demographics & would stainless work for them....

My suggestion is to look at a few comparable open houses in the area for what they have and ask a few REAs about biuyers & appliances.

This will give you more location-specific info on the topic.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Back