Stairwells and Calculating GFA

Hi,

Anyone here know the exact way to calculate GFA on a building? I got this definition from the web somewhere:

Gross Floor Area (GFA) - the total floor area of a building measured from the outside of the external walls, plus for roofed unenclosed areas, any portion of floor area beyond a distance of 3 metres from the external wall. It does not include.
a) the area of spaces uses for the parking or manoeuvring of motor vehciles;
b) the area of left shafts:
c) the area of stairwells on any level other than the ground floor; or
d) floor areas located in a basement.

The problem is that seems to be a bit inconsistent with some drawings I've got back from a designer, regarding the stairwells.

The stairwells on the plans are shaded in both the ground floor plan and the first floor plan, seemingly being counted twice. Is this the norm for 2-storey dwellings, or is the above quote correct?

I should be able to get an answer back from them sometime next week if not here :)

Thanks!
Ian

Ian this seems consistent with what I know however you should be able to find a more concise reference to it in the Shire DCP where you are intending to submit the DA. Otherwise contact the Duty Planner and get clarification. :)

I think it depands on your council DCP.

We are doing plans now and to work out the floor area, we measure from the internal walls and count the stairs twice, which is unfortunate.
We have to make our living areas less than 125sqm, otherwise 2 car spaces are required, which is not possible.

Spider

Well, it turns out that "recent [Brisbane City] Council interpretation has been revised to ensure everything inside the internal walls including voids and stairwells are calculated as part of the G.F.A.".

So, on the ground floor, the stairs are counted, then on the first floor the void above the stairs is counted.

Back