Stamp duty discount implications: rent for 6 to 12 mths then ppor

As a first time buyer an I still eligible for stamp duty discount if I rent out the purchase for the first 6 to 12 months and then move in?

Google is your friend ;)

In Victoria.. https://www.osr.qld.gov.au/duties/transfer-duty/exemptions-and-concessions/home-concession.shtml

For dutiable transactions with a settlement date on or after 1 July 2011, the purchaser may be entitled to the reduction of duty if they:

have received or are entitled to the First Home Owner Grant for the purchase of the property

reside in the property as their PPR for a continuous period of at least 12 months commencing within 12 months of becoming entitled to possession of the property (which usually occurs at settlement).

Thanks vbplease, I wasn't sure what to Google.

I'm sure my broker will advise all this when I get down to the nuts and bolts, but do I apply for a PPOR loan or IP loan?

I'm assuming I apply as PPOR, then simply move in within 12 months of settlement (to ensure the discount isn't then charged at some later date).

Whether the property is a PPOR or IP the loan is still the same. The main question is do you service the loan as an IP only or as a PPOR?

Aaron: I don't really understand the difference between servicing the loan as an IP or PPOR :/ It sucks being a newbie. I do appreciate everyone's tolerance though :D

Aaron: I don't really understand the difference between servicing the loan as an IP or PPOR :/ It sucks being a newbie. I do appreciate everyone's tolerance though :D

If it is an IP, the rents are considered as your income. (A certain percentage of rent for example 80% at CBA). So your serviceability may increase. Say you live with your parents so don't pay your any rent, then all your rent is income. But if that house is your PPOR the rent is not an income. Just what I understood reading this forum.

Back