Stamp Duty now double in Qld

I am amazed ....read Terry Ryder's article in the Australian this morning; incentives for first home buyers and disincentives for the rest of the market; how will the impact of this policy influence community and investor buying and selling activities? :(

I'm in northern NSW and we've always had to compete with QLD and it's lower stamp duty costs for the investor's dollar - so it's something I'm devilishly happy about. Now it's pretty-much equal. Lower south east Qld's advantage over our region is now gone. Sorry Queenslanders :p. Although I don't know if there are many buyers out there at the moment anyway. I have never seen property prices tumble as much as they have in the last year in all my life. Some good bargains to be had...dearer stamp duty or not. Just wouldn't want to be selling at the moment. Politicians and their wisdom, hey?

I'm in northern NSW and we've always had to compete with QLD and it's lower stamp duty costs for the investor's dollar - so it's something I'm devilishly happy about. Now it's pretty-much equal. Lower south east Qld's advantage over our region is now gone. Sorry Queenslanders :p. Although I don't know if there are many buyers out there at the moment anyway. I have never seen property prices tumble as much as they have in the last year in all my life. Some good bargains to be had...dearer stamp duty or not. Just wouldn't want to be selling at the moment. Politicians and their wisdom, hey?

No, you now have the advantage in NSW. If you are over 55 and moving to a new home you pay NO stamp duty at all. Stamp Duty should be abolished for 101 reasons.

I am amazed ....read Terry Ryder's article in the Australian this morning; incentives for first home buyers and disincentives for the rest of the market; how will the impact of this policy influence community and investor buying and selling activities? :(

:confused:
Its a good thing, the markets will tank and we'll be able to add more properties to our portfolio :D

I'm struggling to understand the wisdom behind the decision. Perhaps the six month boost for new property purchases is a smokescreen to distract from what is a significant tax increase?

May be it is to:
- increase the building activity
- help out the first home buyers
- control the house prices
?
I'm not justifying... Just trying to find a reason :)

I dont believe this will affect the investors as much as we think as my understanding is that there has always been two stamp duty calculations when buying in QLD - one is for the investors and the other is for the owner occupiers. The former stamp duty amount is about twice as much as the the latter. Unless they are doubling both or just making both the same now? I could be wrong though. Could someone clarify this please?

I dont believe this will affect the investors as much as we think as my understanding is that there has always been two stamp duty calculations when buying in QLD - one is for the investors and the other is for the owner occupiers. The former stamp duty amount is about twice as much as the the latter. Unless they are doubling both or just making both the same now? I could be wrong though. Could someone clarify this please?

My understanding is they are making them both the same. On the face of it there is no change for investors.

Back