Starting my building co. Looking for advice or mentor!

Hi guys,

Been in the forums for a little while and am hoping I can find someone to guide me or give me tips getting my business started.

I'm 23 and am a qualified carpenter and licensed builder. I have spent the last couple of years in an asset manager role and learned some great admin style skills. I had 5 years onsite prior to this and have worked weekends ever since.

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and going out on my own. Thinking of starting small and building into something more substantial over time. As you can imagine is fairly scary jump to take.

If anyone could offer any advice or tips I'd appreciate it hugely. I am from thensydney area and hoping someone can help me out.

Thanks guys!!

• Incorporate from day 1 - looks better than sole trader
  • Provides workers comp insurance
  • Other companies are more likely to engage with you
  • Register for gst - doesn't take long to rack up $75k t/o
  • Join the MBA
  • Get a website (a basic one should cost $500 ish) - great for showing off your work
  • Do a small business course (Ryde Council runs one)

Hi guys,

Been in the forums for a little while and am hoping I can find someone to guide me or give me tips getting my business started.

I'm 23 and am a qualified carpenter and licensed builder. I have spent the last couple of years in an asset manager role and learned some great admin style skills. I had 5 years onsite prior to this and have worked weekends ever since.

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and going out on my own. Thinking of starting small and building into something more substantial over time. As you can imagine is fairly scary jump to take.

If anyone could offer any advice or tips I'd appreciate it hugely. I am from thensydney area and hoping someone can help me out.

Thanks guys!!

Spread the word on social media and put up pics of your previous work. Do you want to get into the full build for a client.

If your going to do a full build for a client then make sure you have a good lot of tradies that are good and reliable.

I think there is a company you can advertise on called service seeking.

My tips for all tradies

1) Answer your phone. If you cant, then return voicemails and dont just wait for people to try again. Poor customer service is many tradies worst enemy.

2) Turn up to quotes on time

3) If you get the job, be reliable. Turn up to start times on time, ie if you say "I will be there at 7" then be there at 7, not 8 or 8.30 or 9, while the customer twiddles their thumbs

4) Do quality work. "Measure twice cut once" has become "measure once, cut three times, fill with gap filler".

5) If you dont want the job, just say "sorry I cant help but heres someone who can" rather than give inflated quotes to not get the work.

6) My pet hate, turn up with all the equipment you need to do the job. Nothing peeves me more than "have you got a ladder" or "have you got a vacuum" or "have you got a spade bit" etc. Be prepared and self sufficient.

7) Clean up after yourself. Include debris/spoil removal in quotes, lay protective floor coverings, vacuum up mess (with your own vacuum).

Do the above and the sky is the limit, as it will put you ahead of 99% of your peers.

Dave

What Dave wrote should be taped to the back of the clipboard that every tradie carries when they do a quote (those decent enough to turn up, that is).

All good advice, I'm still pushing the sales side though.
Don't compete on price, you'll never win.
If you can't convince a client why they should award the job to you instead of others, you need to work on all this.
You're gonna get smashed by immigrants who speak little English who do cheap work if you don't.
That's a hint, clear, effective, confident communication, both written and spoken will see you dominating most of your competition right from the start.
What can you offer that the others can't or don't?

Thanks so much guys, this is all great help. Dave, I have got everything down to a t you mentioned there. I think presentation, punctuality and being able to communicate seems to be half the battle.

ive had a lot of people tell me not to take the risk but I can't think of anything worse than sitting cosy in the 9-5. Thanks again guys I really appreciate the advice.

ive had a lot of people tell me not to take the risk but I can't think of anything worse than sitting cosy in the 9-5. Thanks again guys I really appreciate the advice.

That's the right attitude.
Those guys telling you not to take the risk by not taking action are taking the biggest risk of all.

Thanks so much guys, this is all great help. Dave, I have got everything down to a t you mentioned there. I think presentation, punctuality and being able to communicate seems to be half the battle.

With risk comes reward. I was the same as you are now when I first started my carpentry business.

Best decision I ever made. You won't regret it. If it doesn't work out for you there is plenty of work for carpenters in Sydney.

Another avenue for social media, find the mum pages and groups local to you. Plenty of mums at home wanting work done and nagging husbands to pull their finger out. May be smallish work to begin with but word of mouth in the local area is good. ... My wife used to tell me of the local guys! I wasn't impressed, but we did find a good sparky.

Oh and don't p!$$ them off, they have crazy electronic pitch forks and flaming forks!

Hahah thanks everyone.
A few people have mentioned that bob shovel.

Have a Facebook page up and running and have joined my local BEC.
Can't wait to get off the wage and get into it!

Back