Starting out as resi valuer

Hey Somersoft,

Finally decided to register,
I've just embarked on my career as a valuer working in a major city, however I have to undergo a year long training process to get my RPV as per API guidelines. Which I understand I need, I've come straight out of uni and everything is not quite as they taught.

In my first month, my trainer has already told me some worrying things, about valuers being overworked, underpaid and generally being not so glamourous as I'd imagined. I have uni friends who earlier did PM at real estate agencies now doing commercial property management for large corporation and having an exciting time traveling and earning, I unfortunately don't have the experience for that line of work.

Any who, I've scoured the forums and most posts I find seem to be supporting what my trainer has told me, I just want to know, are there any good benefits or positives, because I am getting quite worried.

I know, I know, I should be thankful that I'm at least employed at a job that I don't even hate, but I've had people roll their eyes at me when I couldn't properly identify the difference between a terracotta roof and concrete roof. (Apparently a uni education is a hindrance in Resi it would seem, which is bad news for me).

Anyway, sorry it was a bit of a rant, but who else can I talk to about this?

Back