Starting Over Again

Hi All

Without going into details, I'm now starting over again from an almost nothing base.

Over the last year I've scrimped and have been able to acquire $90k through saving, selling old stuff, renting my body for weird medical experiments and making some tough decisions. I have decided to rent (for the foreseeable future) and use future savings for IP purposes. Would like to have my own home again one day, but I have to deal with the here and now!

After rent, I can save $17kpa.

The $90k is my deposit to start my property plan and help me in this new chapter of my life.

Capital appreciation is my main focus (as opposed to a cash-flow positive property) and if push came to shove, I could service up to $10,000 per annum in negatively-geared property (after depreciation and tax benefits). This would leave me with $7k excess savings from my annual cashflow as a buffer.

I am able to obtain finance of up to $450k and am looking at the Queensland market.

I have been studying the Brisbane Southside market and looking at townhouses in various suburbs there, as well as the Toowoomba housing market, given a number of infrastructure projects going on there.

With the finance I can obtain, I think I should be able to find a townhouse on Brisbane's southside, within 10kms from the CBD, which would at least have some land content and decent depreciation benefits and still have some change left-over. It is also a location in a capital city which whilst not a guarantee of anything, should show capital appreciation if Brisbane starts to kick-off over the next 2 or 3 years. Not sure whether I should be looking at free-standing townhouses as opposed to those all in a row with separating walls between, but whichever option, I'd like it to be in a small complex. Just have to be careful if the area is zoned so houses around it can be knocked-down and more units/townhouses can be built as I imagine that may negatively effect the value of my townhouse.

Alternatively, I could buy an actual house in Toowoomba and also still have some change left over. Once again, there will be land content which I think is important for capital appreciation purposes.

After everything that's happened this last 12 months, I really don't want to stuff-up this first IP purchase, so if you were in my shoes, knowing that capital appreciation (not cashflow positive property, even though that would be nice) is my main focus and knowing that my plan would be to purchase one property per annum (barring global apocalypse, etc) what advice/comments/area suggestions/etc would you have for me?

Don't worry ... I know at the end of the day, the decision on anything is mine and mine alone.:)

Zargor

Kudos to you for getting back on your feet so strongly.

For Brisbane there are a couple of recent threads about growth areas in your price range. I'll let the local experts comment on anything further.

mate, im not going to help you with my comment, as i was similar 2 years ago...fall down..get right back up and learn. Ive learnt from the set up I had, and never will i go down that set up again...good luck and good for u.....

im sure the guys on here are full of ideas etc...hence why I joined...

mate, im not going to help you with my comment, as i was similar 2 years ago...fall down..get right back up and learn. Ive learnt from the set up I had, and never will i go down that set up again...good luck and good for u.....

im sure the guys on here are full of ideas etc...hence why I joined...

What set up are you taking about? Was it a divorce? Or not choosing the right investments?

Hi All

Without going into details, I'm now starting over again from an almost nothing base.

Over the last year I've scrimped and have been able to acquire $90k through saving, selling old stuff, renting my body for weird medical experiments and making some tough decisions. I have decided to rent (for the foreseeable future) and use future savings for IP purposes. Would like to have my own home again one day, but I have to deal with the here and now!

After rent, I can save $17kpa.

The $90k is my deposit to start my property plan and help me in this new chapter of my life.

Capital appreciation is my main focus (as opposed to a cash-flow positive property) and if push came to shove, I could service up to $10,000 per annum in negatively-geared property (after depreciation and tax benefits). This would leave me with $7k excess savings from my annual cashflow as a buffer.

I am able to obtain finance of up to $450k and am looking at the Queensland market.

I have been studying the Brisbane Southside market and looking at townhouses in various suburbs there, as well as the Toowoomba housing market, given a number of infrastructure projects going on there.

With the finance I can obtain, I think I should be able to find a townhouse on Brisbane's southside, within 10kms from the CBD, which would at least have some land content and decent depreciation benefits and still have some change left-over. It is also a location in a capital city which whilst not a guarantee of anything, should show capital appreciation if Brisbane starts to kick-off over the next 2 or 3 years. Not sure whether I should be looking at free-standing townhouses as opposed to those all in a row with separating walls between, but whichever option, I'd like it to be in a small complex. Just have to be careful if the area is zoned so houses around it can be knocked-down and more units/townhouses can be built as I imagine that may negatively effect the value of my townhouse.

Alternatively, I could buy an actual house in Toowoomba and also still have some change left over. Once again, there will be land content which I think is important for capital appreciation purposes.

After everything that's happened this last 12 months, I really don't want to stuff-up this first IP purchase, so if you were in my shoes, knowing that capital appreciation (not cashflow positive property, even though that would be nice) is my main focus and knowing that my plan would be to purchase one property per annum (barring global apocalypse, etc) what advice/comments/area suggestions/etc would you have for me?

Don't worry ... I know at the end of the day, the decision on anything is mine and mine alone.:)

Zargor

Lots to choose from brisbane south side, Though I don't think the squeeze is too far away as stock levels are finally tightening up, I think we will finally see some good cg 2016 onwards by that's just IMO

I watch the Toowoomba market very closely and valuations have been coming in strong, I also can't see why it would slow there in the short to med term as stock levels are also tight, esp for houses with land.

I have just bought in Logan again and with spare change I am also going to try again in Toowoomba before things start to get hot, but what I am looking for I think is very difficult to get now

I think you have chosen 2 good markets if you have any questions about Toowoomba or logan you can pm me, also it's a shame you can't renovate as that would really speed things up for you in this rising market

Also I don't know what your thinking about finance but with 90k u could easily get 2 investments and change for a Reno . There is a broker that occasionally posts in here called Shahin Afarin, he's a good dude and really knows his stuff

What set up are you taking about? Was it a divorce? Or not choosing the right investments?

oh no worse than that!,,,basically had a house lived in for me..met the lovely, she had one..we sold hers, we bought another one and moved into it...had a broker, got us a loan, it tied them all togeher....fixed rate...5 years...not bad..we had a few tenats who were nightmares , tried to keep it for over a year...couldnt ended up selling it..it was cross colaterised..fixed rate..in the end..it sold for a good price...but we had to pay the bank the loan and $47K in exit fees:eek:..and found it it was all set up wrong...and had to sell both in the end...so learnt and started again...

My situation wasn't an incorrect set-up situation ... just the former situation Mikezen mentioned.

MZ, I might PM you with some specific questions I have if that's OK :)

Zargor

There are 2 essential parts to a portfolio build during the acquisition phase; CG and +cf. CG provides the capital reserves for growth and +cf the fuel to service growth. They go hand in hand. If you ignore or choose to accept -cf as an option you will effectively stall your progress.

Would be interested to hear the nightmare tenant stories.
Haven't had any myself yet but I'm sure we can all learn what risks we need to mitigate.

Was it related to damage and/or non payment of rent? How will you mitigate the risk in the future?

after the tenants i have had....created checklist of my own..if you tick all of them..good chance youll become my tenant..but it digresses of the thread...

oh no worse than that!,,,basically had a house lived in for me..met the lovely, she had one..we sold hers, we bought another one and moved into it...had a broker, got us a loan, it tied them all togeher....fixed rate...5 years...not bad..we had a few tenats who were nightmares , tried to keep it for over a year...couldnt ended up selling it..it was cross colaterised..fixed rate..in the end..it sold for a good price...but we had to pay the bank the loan and $47K in exit fees:eek:..and found it it was all set up wrong...and had to sell both in the end...so learnt and started again...

im sorry, for asking some newbie questions.

i would like to understand your problems so it can help me in the future and in the event anything similar happens.

From your brief description about your situation;

Could you not get in refinanced with another broker?

What happened after the 5yr fixed period??? did you have to (forced/no option) have to repay Principal and Interest?

I understand you had difficult tenants, could u not maintain the loan repayments during this difficult period?

Regards,

k

Could you not get in refinanced with another broker?

no, as it was set up and if it was to be refinanced, it meant a whole new loan which meant break fees.

What happened after the 5yr fixed period??? did you have to (forced/no option) have to repay Principal and Interest?

it was during the 5 year fixed fee...it was around the 3.5 years it all happened..and also all other interests rates went down. So the bank said they had to borrow the money at the rate i did, and now the rates have dropped, they will lose out and the differnce is the fees i had to pay...so we had to pay out the loan what was left..pay the fee which ate into our equity...

I understand you had difficult tenants, could u not maintain the loan repayments during this difficult period?

basically a young family and after 3 months, they split up. single mum , condt pay a cent. finally after 2 months sge left..she couldnt help it..due to time frame..got in the next door neighbors son who was coming from QLD from the army and needed a place. knew her..she was great..he moved in and besides nearly blowing up the heater as he tht he would clean it and change the wires..lol etc. chopped a large gum tree down and landed on the roof..didnt tell me..then said it was my fault as I should have engaged the services of a tree lopper...he was a real ****...then started quoting qld tenancy act down here in vic.....eventually the only way he was going out..was on sat morning..myself and 3 other mates walked up the driveway and turfed stuff out...then went to cleaning it all up..by then,,id had enough

Regards,

k

So now, have a tenant and there on time and ok..and made a list of a checklist with yes and no..if you got a no..no way wld rent it..

Chopped a gumtree down onto the roof :eek::eek:

Since he decided it was your fault - did he happen to notify you before he did it? or get your permission?

Did you have landlord insurance? Were you able to make a claim, or even on building insurance?

Back