starting to feel "old"..

So, I'm 33 years young and like all of us never though I'd get old. I was going to buck the trend cause of my slim, muscular physique and excercise. Right? God I look good and everybody knows it

Now I have a sore back everyday. Sore bits n pieces coming and going when they cop a little bit of use. Sore knuckles from lifes use, I've nicknamed myself "Muffin-top Man" which seems to inflate should I dare to eat anything. I make old people noises when standing from a sit. Drink coffee. Have a receding hairline that prohibits any form of hair-do and general good looks. I could go on but lets just stop there shall we

I'm finding that many of my values are being forced to change. Maybe thats why we get old, so that we're geared toward others rather than just ourselves.

Im 37. Yeah I could feel old but I do a lot of activities... I have no time to feel old. I'm planning to do the Oxfam 100km walk in August (my team will take donations should anybody like to donate to a worthy cause), I bike ride every day, play volleyball 2-3 times a week.... My team just won the NSW State cup div 2 women's comp on the weekend... There's not enough time to feel old.... Did a body age test a bit over a year ago and it came back at 21.... so happy! :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-04-16-17-50.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-04-16-17-50.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 132
Getting old is much better than the alternative, I am in my 60s and I still have a good life, interests and abilities will change, do what requires physical fitness while you are younger then adapt as you clock up the years.

Some poor souls die young, getting old is better :)

Your mentality will beat you down even further. What are you going to change to not go down this path of 'ageing'?

I recently turned 31. Despite being told by several people 'You're starting to get old', I has happily telling people that '31 is the new 21!'.

My lifestyle choices I made very early in my teenage and early adult life make up who I am today. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I exercise (more than) regularly, I eat good food, I enjoy coffee/chocolate/sweets in moderation.

More importantly I surround myself with those who take the time to know me, and those who I love, and not get caught up in 'pleasing others' for the sake of it. I only have to look good for 1 person in the world, and I only have to role model myself to another - my wife and daughter.

I've learned not to work too much as I have in the past, and stress about everything work related. Sure, I run my own business, but I do so on my terms, and I have clients and suppliers who respect that, and in turn, they get the respect they deserve, with jobs well done and payments made on time. Yesterday, the only movement I made was breakfast at my dad's house which is a 1km ride from my house. Other than that, I literally sat on the couch ALL day, with only trips to the kitchen and to the bathroom. (Granted the day before I did an epic 6hr ride which rendered me almost vegetative anyway). It was a day for just doing nothing. Other days, I fill 18hrs with all of life's dealings. Balance.

So again, ask yourself what choice do you need to make to make the changes needed to get yourself back on track? Make lifestyle choices that produce a positive step in the right direction for yourself. Doesn't hurt to write things down, be it a list or a spread sheet or a blog - but it will help you move. Sometimes we have just got to step back and go back to basics, and get back on track. Your first step was to share it with a forum of complete strangers, which is a good step.

pinkboy

Umm. I think that maybe you guys are getting it a little wrong. Im having a bit of a laugh but am sore! From all the hard work Ive done and am doing. I used to box as an amateur and took it very seriously. Thats when I looked very good. Im just getting older, thats all. Things arent as young as they once were

Your mentality will beat you down even further. What are you going to change to not go down this path of 'ageing'?

I recently turned 31. Despite being told by several people 'You're starting to get old', I has happily telling people that '31 is the new 21!'.

My lifestyle choices I made very early in my teenage and early adult life make up who I am today. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I exercise (more than) regularly, I eat good food, I enjoy coffee/chocolate/sweets in moderation.

More importantly I surround myself with those who take the time to know me, and those who I love, and not get caught up in 'pleasing others' for the sake of it. I only have to look good for 1 person in the world, and I only have to role model myself to another - my wife and daughter.

I've learned not to work too much as I have in the past, and stress about everything work related. Sure, I run my own business, but I do so on my terms, and I have clients and suppliers who respect that, and in turn, they get the respect they deserve, with jobs well done and payments made on time. Yesterday, the only movement I made was breakfast at my dad's house which is a 1km ride from my house. Other than that, I literally sat on the couch ALL day, with only trips to the kitchen and to the bathroom. (Granted the day before I did an epic 6hr ride which rendered me almost vegetative anyway). It was a day for just doing nothing. Other days, I fill 18hrs with all of life's dealings. Balance.

So again, ask yourself what choice do you need to make to make the changes needed to get yourself back on track? Make lifestyle choices that produce a positive step in the right direction for yourself. Doesn't hurt to write things down, be it a list or a spread sheet or a blog - but it will help you move. Sometimes we have just got to step back and go back to basics, and get back on track. Your first step was to share it with a forum of complete strangers, which is a good step.

pinkboy

People say all this but the fact is you get tied up in life, even if you make all the logical right moves you do get old and we do all die regardless. I have seen so many people who lead the example healthy lifestyle and still die anyway in their 70's. By 80's your F%^&* regardless what you do. Then you see others who drink, smoke and eat themselves stupid still rolling around in their 70's.

They are just all statistics at the end of the day, if doing what you do helps you get through life great but don't delude yourself into thinking you have some magic key in life because you ride a bike and do laps death could be right around the corner any second.

The real key is good genetics I reckon, if you come from stock that has a good average of going far and being "healthier" in old age you will probably be ok. There is only so much you can do with what you were given.

Last edited:
Im having a bit of a laugh but am sore! From all the hard work Ive done and am doing.

Built a retaining wall on the long weekend. Couldn't even walk properly the next day. Still have some joint pains. But it feels good if you know what I mean. I agree with ok180 on good genetics. I have a bad back from silly things I did when I was a teen so I take it easy not to strain it. It's matter of knowing your weak points and trying not to strain them :D

Yup, I am in similar age bracket and also starting to feel it "old"

You know you are getting old, when on a friday night, you are thinking of going to bed early

Umm. I think that maybe you guys are getting it a little wrong. Im having a bit of a laugh but am sore! From all the hard work Ive done and am doing. I used to box as an amateur and took it very seriously. Thats when I looked very good. Im just getting older, thats all. Things arent as young as they once were

You know you're getting old when it takes 2 days to recover from a night out - which BTW will end at a sedate 2am.
The only time I willingly go 24hrs with 3hrs sleep is if I'm travelling.

And last but not least welcome to the muffin top :)

Turning the big 3-0 in a couple of weeks. It has got me thinking and reflecting more. I'm just starting to get back into exercise after way too long and I am really feeling it! But I'm committed.

It reminds of that meme getting around -
MjAxMy0zOGE4ZDQ3OGFlZjExODE1_50fa1465a150f.png

People say all this but the fact is you get tied up in life, even if you make all the logical right moves you do get old and we do all die regardless. I have seen so many people who lead the example healthy lifestyle and still die anyway in their 70's. By 80's your F%^&* regardless what you do. Then you see others who drink, smoke and eat themselves stupid still rolling around in their 70's.

They are just all statistics at the end of the day, if doing what you do helps you get through life great but don't delude yourself into thinking you have some magic key in life because you ride a bike and do laps death could be right around the corner any second.

The real key is good genetics I reckon, if you come from stock that has a good average of going far and being "healthier" in old age you will probably be ok. There is only so much you can do with what you were given.

Blah Blah Blah - tell us what you really think? - and yes I saw that!

In no way am I deluded into thinking what lifestyle I choose to live will make me live longer.

My point is, why would you want to feel f%$#ed from age 33 to 8X something when you can instead make a choice to feel good and preserve yourself for a greater time. Im not into any spiritual BS, but making a few good choices puts you miles ahead of the general population, much like investing.

For me, by age 33 I want to be 'financially secure', and I will have health on my side for a long time living life to the full....or I could be hit by a bus tomorrow on my ride, but the main thing is, I wont go with any regrets or anything on my mind or anything on others mind, because I have the balls to tell it how it is.

pinkboy

pinkboy

You know you're getting old when it takes 2 days to recover from a night out - which BTW will end at a sedate 2am.

And last but not least welcome to the muffin top :)
Myf, you could be me!! The resemblance is uncanny :eek:

I'm almost 32 - I don't feel any different to 10 years ago. Maybe it will catch up to me soon.

I do get told I'm daggy all the time by my 7 year old....but what do they know.

Cheers

Jamie

This is another one that gets me. I find I need less sleep as I get older. I used to sleep like a sloth when I was young.

The difference was back then I used to go out a lot so I was used to it. If I was still following that lifestyle I think recovery wouldn't be such a problem.

Blah Blah Blah - tell us what you really think? - and yes I saw that!

In no way am I deluded into thinking what lifestyle I choose to live will make me live longer.

My point is, why would you want to feel f%$#ed from age 33 to 8X something when you can instead make a choice to feel good and preserve yourself for a greater time. Im not into any spiritual BS, but making a few good choices puts you miles ahead of the general population, much like investing.

For me, by age 33 I want to be 'financially secure', and I will have health on my side for a long time living life to the full....or I could be hit by a bus tomorrow on my ride, but the main thing is, I wont go with any regrets or anything on my mind or anything on others mind, because I have the balls to tell it how it is.

pinkboy

pinkboy

meh, enjoy your salad. :D

I'm very glad that I took good care of both my knees and lower back during my early years.

When I was 36, I met my industrial neighbour who was 72. When we shook hands, he introduced himself as being 72, not his name. He asked me my age, to which I replied 36.

He said "son, I'm planning on living until I am 108, so I'm 2/3rds of the way through and have got as long on this Earth yet as what you've been alive. If you play your cards right, you'll follow me and have as long on this earth as what I've been alive.....and I can tell ya son, you've got a damn long way to go. Enjoy it and look after yourself."

His attitude and outlook on life was infectious. I took many life lessons from that very successful man, in just those short few minutes.

I used to feel very young; mostly from eating well, lifting weights, sleeping well and in general maintaining a good lifestyle.

Past few months I've been commuting 4hrs odd a day. It's aged me 10 years.

I actually enjoy getting older ... my 20's were so strung out on "what other people thought", b***ching about others and self bashing that I look back and cringe at what a awful person I must've been to be around.

My 30's were highly strung having to deal with my new partners' ex-wife and his kids (read: treated like evil stepmother by both parties).

Loving my 40's because I feel, at last, that I know who I am - am comfortable with the person I've become - what I want out of life - and I'm prepared to "just do it".

Many years ago 40's was oooooold ... now it's just another stage to enjoy ... albeit a little slower.

I do find the days are flying past and cannot believe it is May already - but I suspect that has more to do with the time-gobbling internet than anything else.

Back