State Laws On Sub Dividing Property

Hi, we have investment properties in a few states around Australia. After speaking to some bulider friends of mine, I have come to relize that each state has different laws when it comes down to sub dividing a property. Does anyone know of particual laws from any state that would be different from others. I know that Perth has unique legislation, what about other states in Australia?

Hi

Best way to check is to call the council in which you property is located during business hours and ask to speak to the planning officer and ask them nicely to pull your property up and tell you what density the land is zoned and the min amount of SQM needed to subdivide. Penrith council for example the land needs to be zoned medium density and to be min 700 sqm and have a frontage width of at least 20m (dont quote me, but its close to these figure's)

good luck!

Yes, it is not just states, it varies council by council.

For example Newcastle has 2 x council areas - Newcastle & Lake Macquarie. Charlestown falls into the Lake Macquarie council area and has completely different requirements for sub-division that a neighbouring suburb that falls into Newcastle council's area.

Back