Staying in Brisbane for the week

Will be up in Brisbane for the week looking for a place to buy. I will be looking at the Moreton Bay Area, suburbs around zillmere and Bracken Ridge and some South suburbs.

Does anyone know of a good conveyancer in Brisbane who is working this week?

My girlfreind and I ate dinner in Red Cliffe (What's in the Pot) last night and were very impressed by the area. But still wary that it is maybe more a holiday town and wonder what it would be like during the off season.

Will keep you guys updated. If anyone wants me to check out any areas while we are here please feel free to ask.

Hi Steve,

I know you've mentioned in another thread that you're looking for a house, not unit, mind if I ask what budget?

I'm also thinking adding another BNE IP this year, and was trying to decide between the:
- Within 10km of CBD North: Zillmere, Geebung etc.
or
- Within 5-10km S/SE: Holland Park and thereabouts

Any reason why you're thinking Redcliffe?

Hope all goes well mate!

Hi I am also from Sydney and looking for Ip in Brisbane. Was in Brisbane last week and saw few properties in Wellington point,Birkdale. Not sure whether Wellington point is a good area to invest from the point of capital growth. Could you please provide insight on this suburb. Budget is upto 600k

Redcliffe a holiday town? Hah, that's how it looks all the time. If you were on holidays, would you go there?

Did you drive around Scarborough? Redcliffe is a hole, see Scarborough instead.

ETA: or find something with development potential anywhere in Redcliffe area

Last edited:
Hi Steve

If you are passing through the CBD feel free to give me a call and we can catch up for coffee. I always like catching up with forumites to talk property.

Moreton Bay has some great planning changes coming in this year and has also dumped their crazy sea level rise predictions.

D

Hi Steve

If you are passing through the CBD feel free to give me a call and we can catch up for coffee. I always like catching up with forumites to talk property.

Moreton Bay has some great planning changes coming in this year and has also dumped their crazy sea level rise predictions.

D

Hi RPI,

Would love to catch up and talk property. We are staying at my cousins place in Bowen Hills, so in the city most nights. I'll call your office tomorrow.

So we spent the afternoon, driving around Moorooka, Rochlea and Woodridge.

Moorroka
Good
Nice suburban town with lots of old shops, close to city (13mins), heard good things about this place from locals, trendy restaurants and uni students been priced out from across the river to live here.
Bad
Rental yield(3.9%), Owner occupancy (57.9%)

Rochlea
Good
Not much I could see
Bad
Old houses, industrial looking area, flooding, owner occupancy (55.8%)

Woodridge
Good
Rental yields (6.2%)
Bad
Old houses, dodgy looking neighbourhoods, unemployment rate (22%), owner occupancy (39.4%)

Please know this is all based on my opinion and the short drive around suburbs we did.

Hey guys,

So we have narrowed our search to the Redcliffe peninsula.

Reason been;
- Numbers added up before travelling
- Liked the feel of the area
- New train station
- Speaking to local investors in the area

Banyo, Zillmere and Aspley are all nice too but out of our price range. Also Moorooka is trendy and up and coming but apparently too many of the one ethnicity.

In regards to Redcliffe, in your opinion would you rather;
- 3 bed weather board house on 405sqm land East of Oxley
Or
- Brick and tile 4 bed house on 730sqm in Kippa-Ring

Kappa-Ring house has better rental yeilds.

Thanks,
Steve

The quintessential Redcliffe peninsula conundrum.

Summary of SS responses - either.
There are other threads of Somersoft that discuss this. There are good CG reasons behind both. Sorry but I'm too tired to search for you.

Rochlea
Good
Not much I could see
Bad
Old houses, industrial looking area, flooding, owner occupancy (55.8%)

Rocklea is not that bad,most of the low parts flood but a lot don't flood,ALDI's five minutes away good transport,rail or bus,15 minutes too the CBD,,plus there is still several properties that are still the same as after the 2011 floods,the link below is where the "Red-Cross" set up their help-food van after the floods and this property does not flood..imho..

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-rocklea-118644267

I read the two threads but still unclear, although my data says kippa-ring. We are seeing quiet a few houses tomorrow so hopefully will come up with a clearer decision.

Hey guys,

So we have narrowed our search to the Redcliffe peninsula.

Reason been;
- Numbers added up before travelling
- Liked the feel of the area
- New train station
- Speaking to local investors in the area

Banyo, Zillmere and Aspley are all nice too but out of our price range. Also Moorooka is trendy and up and coming but apparently too many of the one ethnicity.

In regards to Redcliffe, in your opinion would you rather;
- 3 bed weather board house on 405sqm land East of Oxley
Or
- Brick and tile 4 bed house on 730sqm in Kippa-Ring

Kappa-Ring house has better rental yeilds.

Thanks,
Steve

I bought a weather board house on 405sqm in Scarborough east of Oxley early last year. I'm getting 5.7% return I could of received better returns with some of the properties west of Oxley however I was thinking that the CG might be better on the eastern side though? Quite a few of the older houses were getting knock down and replaced with beautiful beach houses on the eastern side. With no (or very little) vacant land available I can see this activity increasing as time goes on and this would have to help lift the eastern property prices over the neighboring properties?

PS I agree with Angel I wouldn't consider Redcliffe as a holiday town. It's only just over 30 minutes to Brisbane CBD (on a good day)

What are people's thoughts on the pink area of the flood maps? Sounds like the my are going to be revoked.

Please check this for yourself. Do not take my word.

I just looked online and my townhouse on Landsborough Avenue is pink. I understand it is water flowing downhill over the land. Hubby and I had a serious look at the maps when they first came out and we are confident it is not a problem for us. Our insurers do not charge us anything extra for its location. We are on top of a cliff after all. I would not be touching Roma st and its surrounds, no mater how cheap it is, nor the tip of the peninsula. Common sense. Back of Clontarf and Kippa Ring? not for me. Look for tee trees and other mangrove vegetation.

Across the road from us there is real flood issues according to the maps (orange and brown), it is blatantly obvious to the naked eye that the land is lower there, in a gully. We settled our townhouse about three weeks before the Jan 2011 floods, and there was no problem with ours at all.

Hope this helps, let us know what you think tonight.

My Opinion you are too far out of town for a good IP opportunity. Not that the return is not there, but the capital growth will be more limited.

What is the impetus for growth?

You timing is excellent, now research areas that are going to pop in price because of a specific reason.

Do the work and get an early capital gain to set you up for safety.

Jerry Parker

Back