Stayz vs. Airbnb

Hello,

We've just bought our first investment property !
It's in Jindabyne & we're hoping to fill it with short term holiday rentals

For this coming winter season, its more or less fully booked & we have an obligation to stay with the current property manager, but as they charge 20% & really don't provide much for that price we are looking to 'DIY' the rentals for next year

We have most of the logistics sorted (recommended cleaner/linen service) but we're not sure where to list it ! I have used Stayz in the past (as a tenant) & i really hated it :mad: the website is so clunky and doesn't show 'live' availability, there is no denying though that it's the main holiday rental website.

I've recently been investigating airbnb, we haven't booked anything on there yet but i am planning to book something in the coming month to test it out.

Does anyone have any preferences between the two ? As we're newt this we would love as much insight as possible :)

We have most of the logistics sorted (recommended cleaner/linen service) but we're not sure where to list it ! I have used Stayz in the past (as a tenant) & i really hated it the website is so clunky and doesn't show 'live' availability, there is no denying though that it's the main holiday rental website.

Does airbnb show live availability?

I thought the reason for not having live availability was due to most places being advertised across multiple sites i.e. stayz, trip adviser, homeaway etc.

personally i think what sells is feedback from previous visitors and also the managers communication.

Most people list on both - there's little reason not to. Stayz costs $165pa to list, airbnb costs nothing. However, they have different charging models for each night booked.

You will notice a difference in your standard of occupants from each site.

Re Live availability... it's only as good as the owner that updates it on either site.

The Airbnb site is a million times better than Stayz. I have two Airbnb listings and have used the site as a guest five times as well.
But in Jindabyne, you will have better luck with Stayz than Airbnb.
As Keith said, there is no reason to not use both.

I like the idea of using both ! I suppose what turned me off that iniially was not being able to have the live availability. I agree with BMW that feedback & mangers level of communication is probably your best approach with these sites

Thanks for the help :)

Just to muddy the waters... there's also takeabreak.com.au - it's a smaller boutique site aimed at holiday accommodation but with its own following. They used to only charge for bookings, so if that's still the case, there's no harm in listing.

My wife used to work for them. It is now a part of the Fairfax stable along with Stayz.

Most Airbnb users are from overseas. And most overseas visitors head to the cities. So Airbnb is more of an urban solution. My place is mostly booked until next April and nearly all the people coming are from overseas.
Stayz has been around forever and Fairfax bought it in 05 for around $10m, I think. They sold it last year for over $200m to a US company.
But if Fairfax had really got the whole internet thing, they might have been able to do what Airbnb have done. In just the last 5 years, Airbnb has killed it - they booked 10 million nights of accommodation just last year. Goodness knows what it will be worth when it goes public.

Scott I'm fairly sure it'll was valued at 10bn recently based on their last cap raising which is pretty crazy.

Have you based any decisions on results of popular Google searches like "accommodation Jindabyne" or "apartment Jindabyne " etc ?
Have you tried wotif or booking.com ?
There might be other alternatives.
Good luck
Cheers
crest133

Back