Steam clean done 1 month before we move in!

Hi,
we are about moving to an apartment to rent.
The agent gave us the Condition Report, most things are stated as Clean state but they are dirty.
Most of all the carpet: we asked the Agent for the Invoice of the company that did the steam clean, and the date on the invoice is one month ago!
We suppose the Real Estate agency ordered the steam clean because the invoice says Existing Customer.
Obviously the tenant that was living there made the carpet pretty dirty in the last month.

Can we do anything about it? Like claiming the Agent a steam clean now?

Does it make sense that the steam clean was done 1 month before the new tenant (us) move in?

Whether or not you try to get it cleaned again what you MUST DO is photograph the things that are dirty or that are not as they are stated on the condition report, and make sure that you clearly note the condition report your comments about the dirty state of the place (be specific) and the carpets, so that should it come to a fight for YOUR bond back, you have full documentation and photos to back you up.

If it was me, I would also write a detailed dot point report and hand it to the agent and get a signature that it has been received (or send it certified) so that it forms part of their paperwork and they might just think twice about hitting you for any of your bond at the end.

If the place is dirty and they have reported that it is clean, I would definitely be doing all this to protect my butt.

we'll definetly fill the report accurately.
the question now is if we can claim the agent or whatever authority a steam clean before we move in, at least for the carpet.
More, in the contract it's stated that we have to steam clean the carpet before we move out. That is ok if it is the carpet was cleaned now, but it is not.

I would find out if it has been empty for a few of those weeks. Apart from that, put it to the agent that it is dirty, and you would like it cleaned again, or ask that the clause be removed regarding an exit clean by yourselves, and get it initialed. If it really is dirty, then why should the PM not get the cleaner back to fix the poor job? Are they hoping you will just go away if they make it too hard for you? I guess so.

I don't know how you will go, and only the agent knows whether it has been lived on after cleaning, but it is worth an ask. Why not call the government body who looks after rental houses and ask what they suggest you do? I have always found them helpful (in Queensland).

If you need to clean it because it is too dirty, and nobody else will do it, then maybe get it done and document that, and then don't do it when you leave, but you have signed the document saying you will do it, so I'm not sure how that will go.

Having documented all the other discrepancies, all it can potentially cost you is one carpet clean. How dirty is it?

maybe it was steam cleaned but during the last month it became dirty again. The tenant was living in the apartment in the last month until two days ago.
There are small stains and regular dirt crumbs hair etc.

What would be the government body, who eactly shall we contact in case we go for it?

In Queensland it is Residential Tenancies Association but not sure in Melbourne.

I'm sure someone will come along soon and give you the information you need for Victoria. I just googled and found Tenants Union Victoria but further down the page is

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/CA25...~&3=010-Residential+Tenancies+Bond+Authority~

which seems to be the right place.

I would not be happy with crumbs and stains and would certainly try to get another clean, or have the bit on your lease removed about you having to leave it clean. Fair is fair, surely. How could the entry condition report show it as being clean if there are obviously crumbs and dirt on it. I take much greater care with my condition reports (I self manage).

It annoys me when things like this happen just on principle (even though it seems a small thing to many people). You are entering a dirty place and expected to pay to leave it clean. Not happy Jan!!

I had the same thing a few years ago and the carpet appeared dirty however it had been professionally steam cleaned but it was stained (if that makes sense). In some instances a steam clean will not remove stains but the carpet and underlay are actually clean.

Hi Gilbert,
it's not about stains that don't go away. I can understand that.
It's about that the dry clean was done one month ago where the tenant was still living there and the furnitures were still there!
I confirmed with the dry cleaning company that they could not clean completely because the furnitures were obstacles.

Whether or not you try to get it cleaned again what you MUST DO is photograph the things that are dirty or that are not as they are stated on the condition report, and make sure that you clearly note the condition report your comments about the dirty state of the place (be specific) and the carpets, so that should it come to a fight for YOUR bond back, you have full documentation and photos to back you up.

If it was me, I would also write a detailed dot point report and hand it to the agent and get a signature that it has been received (or send it certified) so that it forms part of their paperwork and they might just think twice about hitting you for any of your bond at the end.

If the place is dirty and they have reported that it is clean, I would definitely be doing all this to protect my butt.

Definately take advise from Wylie.

Take as many images as you think that will cover you, print them out and have the agent sign them as part of the ingoing inspection report.

Further, place the agent on notice the condition of the premises is not acceptable and that you require it cleaned.

not sure if the same in other states but certainly SA i believe PM's including such clauses in contracts is actually 'not enforceable'

it was discussed on SS a little while ago so there should be a thread/link somewhere but i would suspect it may be similar case in other states.

apparently a letter was sent out to all PM's in SA about this issue so they should all be aware of it but they aren't because i see it in contracts all the time..its become almost a standard clause!

but back to your case, inform the agent in writing ASAP so that they can't say it was clean when they handed over the house

After a bunch of lies they tried to sold us, we managed to get the Agent admitting that the steam clean was done one month ago (with the support of the cleaning company).
The Agent then wrote and signed a letter where she states that we don't need to do the steam clean upon vacating the premises.
I wanted them to do a steam clean now and we would have agreed to do it upon vacating, but she didn't accept it.
We'll see what happens when we give back the condition report with our comments, because so many dirty and damaged things are missing in the report filled by the agent.

thanks to ALL for the suggestions, really appreciated

We filled the condition report very detailed listing every little thing and all the dirty items. The agency accepted it without questioning (surprisingly).
After that, upon our request, they sent an electrician and a handyman to fix things.
So their attitude changed in comparison to the beginning.
Sometimes it's about the way you approach them.

sorry for the delayed answer and
thanks again to all!

Back