Steel or Timber Frame?

G'Day

The Builder we are currently talking to offers Steel Frame or Timber Frame at the same price

I notice that pa1nter has built a steel framed house http://www.somersoft.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4052

As we are building in sand, I would not expect termites to be a major problem, however having said that, they are a winged insect at part of their life cycle and are happy to eat any cellulose product. Even a steel framed house has a lot of timber in it so my question is not about insect infestations, it is primarily about static in the house.

Mike and I lived in a steel framed unit at Cootamundra thirty years ago, the static electricity was truly horrible, I crackled off every surface, my hair would float upwards and crackle when I brushed it, the TV had many interesting programs on 'snow' and I simply couldn't hear the radio if the units on either side had their kitchen fluoro lights on.

So has anybody had any experience with modern steel framed houses?

Happy to hear your stories on the good, the bad and the ugly.

Thanks
Kristine

Kristine

I had a holiday house built up on steel and found being so close to the beach that the steel constantly got coated with salt. In fact when I bought it the steel was rusted right through and I had to replace all the steel supporting beams.

I found I had to coat them constantly to ensure the salt did not eat into them.

Chris

Hi Chris, Thanks

Yes, if the frame was exposed I would expect that the salt air would be harsh on the steel

Alack and alas, this will be a conventional house, nothing flash, and the frame will be completely enclosed

When we look around the area, we see how houses even as young as five years old, look about 15 years old if they are in the direct wind path - even worse if in the airborne salt droplet path – and worse again if builders have used ordinary nails and not stainless steel screws. Even under the paint the rust sets in and the paint blisters off quite quickly

A previous architect had talked about using Corten steel cladding, which is designed to rust, but now that we are talking to a builder, not an architect, and we just want to get the darn thing built, I am just wanting to know if there are any benefits or drawbacks noticeable when people actually live in steel framed houses apart from painting all exposed steel on a regular basis (and my own experiences with electric fields!)

Regards
Kristine

All these bad things to day about steel and nothing good and they are the same price?

I'd just go wood, personally. I can't think of any benefits of steel at all - the termite one is a joke if you have anything else in the house they'll eat, like gyprock, skirtings, architraves, timber floors, furniture, books ...

Looking at the OP date probably too late now but I would go steel if no additional cost.
Even if you have a termite or wood borer attack its only cosmetic damage not structural.

As for static I would be looking at your carpets more unless you were right under a HV power line. Even then properly earthed you should not have an issue.
If they use foil insulation TV/radio reception can be reduced, but at the same time can get that with timber frame.

Any exposed metal should be hit dip galvanised then painted. Both materials require maintenance. I just had to replace a number of the timber boards on the apex of my roof that split from weathering.

Ah, now there's a good place you *should* use metal - high up, hard to access places.

Our new house came with metal fascias and infill panels up at the top of the gables. Impossible to put an aerial on, but having just painted all the fascias at my last house, I'm glad these are colourbond.

pros, cons and myths of using steel for house frames

My wife and I are currently building a new house, so we've recently investigated this same question about steel vs timber.

I found this youtube video very helpful ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru33LAcKfdQ

It answered a lot of our questions and discusses the pros, cons and myths of using steel for house frames.

Back